5.0 out of 5 stars The Pardon Excels
Published on Nov. 23 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Pardon yourself from reading this book!
Published on Nov. 9 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pardon Excels, Nov. 23 2001
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
I discovered The Pardon by reading an exceprt from it in "The Mammoth Book of Legal Thrillers," a collection of writings from top lawyer-novelists in the world. The Pardon definitely belongs in that elite group. The premise is immediately gripping: A psychopath is stalking the governor of Florida, claiming that he can prove that the governor executed an innocent man. The executed man was defended by the governor's son, Jack Swyteck, a young criminal defense attorney who defends death row inmates. The opening scenes, which revolve around the execution, could well be the most heart-pounding I've read in the genre. The courtroom scenes are skillfully written, filled with believable surprises and easy to follow. The pacing is breathless, but the underlying tenstion between father and son that plays out through the story really makes this novel stand apart from the rest. This is an enterntaining read with engaging characters who will have you rooting for them till the end. It takes on a very serious subject in a completely non-preaching manner (I wouldn't be able to guess where the author stands on the death penalty after reading this novel, which is to his credit). Granted, this isn't Moby Dick, but you rarely get more for your money in commercial fiction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pardon yourself from reading this book!, Nov. 9 2001
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading Grippando's more recent "A King's Ransom," I was excited to read his debut, "The Pardon." What a terrible disappointment. Usually a good writer's first novel is very good (i.e.,Margolin, Sanders) and, with some notable exceptions, the writing gets worse over time. Here, the opposite is true. However, while "A King's Ransom," is more richly textured and accomplished than the Pardon, it still suffers from many of "The Pardon's," ingrained flaws.
"The Pardon" is what else, a story of a young lawyer, Jack Swyteck, who has just obtained an acquital for his client, Eddy Goss, a very guilty pyschopath, based on a "technicality." Both the charcters and situation are pathetically cliche and devoid of any imagination whatsoever. After the acquital, Jack becomes so disillusioned that he must resign from the "Freedom Institute" (I'm serious), play with his dog and think how to win back his girlfriend, Cindy. Oh, by the way, Jack's father just happens to be the governor of Florida (where all of Grippando's novels apparently are set), and the prologue to the novel sets up their estrangement (an obvious Grippando standby) as the Governor won't commute the death sentence of one of Jack's earlier and unluckier clients who appears as innocent as Goss is guilty.
After Goss's aquital, Jack and the Governor are threatened by a mysterious stranger! Jack is framed for murder! Someone has killed Jack's dog! Jack's reconciliation with Cindy is threatened by Cindy's seductive roommate, Gina! Oh please. The absurdity of the story and its stock characters and situations pick up momentum in direct relationship to the reader's lack of interest in them, the death knell to any novel.
This book is god-awful and, putting aside the fact that it allowed Grippando to stop practicing law, the author should be embarrassed by its very publication. Do yourself a real favor and skip this book. If you want something really good, read "The Axe" by Westlake or "About the Author" by Colapinto.

4.0 out of 5 stars ENDING WEAK-REST OF BOOK WAS GREAT!, June 24 2002
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
The book will hold your attention. Who is trying to frame Jack Swyteck? Who is blackmailing Gov. Harold Swyteck, Jack's father? They both think it is Eddy Gross, who Jack got free for a murder he committed. But then something happens so they know it is not Eddy. People keep ending up dead that try to help Jack and he is a suspect in each death. You will not want to put the book down. I found myself scanning pages to see what happened next and to who. I was disappointed in the action at the end. Thought it could have been done better. You find your self really pulling for Jack and his father. May make it harder t sleep for a few nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pardon puts "thills" back into the "Legal Thriller", Dec 20 2001
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
I picked up The Pardon because I'm a fan of James Patterson, who in the blurb on the jacket says "I read The Pardon in one sitting -- one exciting night of chills and thrills." I had exactly the same experience. Grippando's writing style reminds me of Patterson's, with short, explosive chapters that always end on a cliff-hanger that carries you over to the next one. Before you know it it's 3 a.m. and you can't stop reading! Thanks, Mr. Patterson, for all your exciting books, and thank you for turning me on to James Grippando. I'll look forward to reading his other thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give this a 5+, I would, April 17 2003
Kevin Gong (Fresno, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
I consider this to be one of the best novels I've ever read. This one had it all, (suspense, mystery, action, and drama). I was flipping through the pages wondering what would happen next. Talk about being "on the edge of my seat".
I've read off of his novels, and in my opinion, one cannot go wrong with a Grippando novel. And I believe this one ranks up there with his best. Read it and see for yourself. It'll be worth every minute and penny invested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, April 10 2001
LBookworm "LBookworm" (Fort Lauderdale, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
I am not a mystery buff. I generally read non-fiction, and it takes a great novel to excite me. I especially liked the psychological component added into the suspenseful and complicated plot. It rivaled "The Firm" for enticing the reader's interest and attachment to the characters, and championing the humanistic outcome. I love books in which I can't predict the ending! Grippano was definitely "gripping" throughout the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pardon Me, May 21 2001
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
Grippando, certainly uses a smooth tactic to "grip" the reader and pull them right into the plot. In this particular novel the reader watches the characters as they become toys of the criminal. The action is fast-paced and the mystery unfolds with some revealing factors but he still keeps the reader interested. I think this is a good story, but his other novels, like The Informant have better plot and character development.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real thriller, Oct. 26 2003
David A. Spearman (Harbor Beach, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pardon, The (Hardcover)
What a excellent novel. I guess it takes a Lawyer to write one like this but I would guess he would be a homicide detective first. This is the fourth book of his I have read and never been disapointed. I have now ordered the second as of today. He rates right up with the best of the Legal/Thriller/Mystery writers that are in vogue at this time. Read it you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic legal thriller, Oct. 16 2002
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought this was one of the best books I have read in a long time. I couldn't put it down and ended up staying in on a Saturday night to finish the book (a rare event in the life of a college student). Becareful though, once you start reading the book and get into it, don't make any plans for the rest of your day! I am looking forward to reading the following novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Hang On For Dear Life" Thrill Ride!, May 6 1999
This review is from: The Pardon (Mass Market Paperback)
James Grippando has created a gripping spellbinder with "The Pardon." Believeable, multi-dimensional characters keep this story of legal twists and turns churning. Grippando keeps his readers guessing as his plot unfolds. Well written, intense, and frighteningly believeable. This may have been my first Grippando novel, but it surely won't be my last.

The Pardon: The First Jack Swyteck Novel
The Pardon: The First Jack Swyteck Novel by James Grippando (Mass Market Paperback - June 20 2011)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.82