5.0 out of 5 stars read the book BEFORE you read the reviews
Even I would have had trouble solving this mystery had I not skimmed these reviews first. Just read the book, my dear Watson.
Published on Nov. 24 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent book.
While I read this book, I found it rather, well, "blah." The characters weren't particularily interesting, the murder wasn't anything spectacular, the setting was unoriginal, etc. The writing consisted almost entirely of dialogue. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing really BAD about this book. But it's nothing very special either. Though I must admit, the ending was...
Published on Feb. 27 2002 by Uhnghrid

5.0 out of 5 stars read the book BEFORE you read the reviews, Nov. 24 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars one of her best, April 28 2014
The author keeps the reader guessing till the very end! Enjoyable read. I am just writing words to fill in the required

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, July 20 2013
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Paperback)
This is another good book of Agatha Christie's. I also think, that if you've seen the movie that is out for this book of hers, you won't be TOO disappointed (especially if you have not FIRST read the book).

The book was very well written, and also, that if you have only seen the movie of it that is out, and not read the book FIRST, I think that when you read it, you won't be TOO disappointed. I have to admit though, that the ending to this book has her "expected" type of endings and the book ending is not as "overdone" as what the movie makers do these days. If you prefer though, to see the movie 'before' reading or 'instead' of reading this book, as I said, I think you won't be TOO disappointed in the outcome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Reading for a Cold Winter's Night, Feb. 4 2011
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I'm sure that I read "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd," by Agatha Christie, decades ago, but I'd more or less forgotten the plot when I picked it up again at the beginning of February. This is from 1926 and is one of the early Hercule Poirot tales, in which our Belgian sleuth has retired to a small village, King's Abbot, to grow marrows. His quiet retirement is interrupted by the sudden murder of the wealthy local man, Roger Ackroyd, and he has no shortage of suspects in his quest to solve the case. In fact, there may be too many motives for him to be able to sort it all out....Agatha Christie is, of course, considered the Queen of Crime and this book is the one that truly cemented her popularity among readers; as such, it is of course a classic. The plotting is tight, the characters are well-drawn (if a bit stereotypical for the period) and the clues (or "clews" as they're called here) are fairly disbursed. I'm pleased that I figured out - or remembered - who the murderer was, but really one reads Christie for comfort more than to test one's deductive abilities. Recommended, especially on a cold winter's night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally surprised, March 3 2008
Juran Liu (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is the very first Agatha Christie book I ever read. I have to admit that I was completely surprised by its ending. I did not cast any suspicions to the real murderer at all until the plot was revealed. Lots of seemingly irrelevant facts are pieced together logically at the end. Highly recommend this book and will get more Agatha Christie books to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book, July 10 2004
E. Clinton (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
The plot is awesome and it contains a great ending - that I did not see coming. A few things that make Agatha Christie great are: (1) her writing is lean and spare; (2) her characters all have an important role to play; (3) she has a sense of humor; and (4) there are no silly chase scenes or senseless violence. A thoughtfully written mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tops the others in many ways, July 5 2004
When I first reached for the book I didn't expect it to be a controversial read. Six hours later, I was agape, in denial and most certainly scandalized. Without giving away the plot, suffice to say that Dame Agatha had written her ultimate masterpiece when she decided to write "...Roger Ackroyd".
For first-time readers: Don't be fooled by the length of the novel. The clues are there, sprinkled neatly and merrily along with the darned red herrings. You have to read it slowly, as it was with most of her novels.
The story: a doctor was called by Roger Ackroyd to discuss an important matter, but before he could divulge it further he was interuppted by the evening post. The matter was left there, and the doctor went home, seeing his host a bit disturbed. When he got home another call came in and announced that Mr Ackroyd was dead. Thus Poirot came into the scene and began nosing around. The solution was truly one of the most surprising in literature history.
The novel became the measuring rod for future mystery and detective novels, although its controversy is undeniable. My suggestion is that you ignore the controversy for the moment and concentrate on the story.

2.0 out of 5 stars .....the story just wasn't entertaining, Feb. 11 2004
By A Customer
Being a fan of past mystery book I have read, especially "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie I had no trouble picking up "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" The plot became a monotonous listing of facts and clues through dialog. It would've been almost impossible to predict the mystery through nearly the entire story with the given information. The end finally picked up and kept me interested, but the rest of the story just wasn't entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why Agatha Christie is the 'Queen of Crime', Jan. 25 2004
Jeanne Tassotto (Trapped in the Midwest) - See all my reviews
Hercule Poirot has lost interest in the dective business since the departure of Hastings to South America. He has retired to a small village to grow vegetable marrows and live a quiet life. He discovers that vegetable marrows do not grow in an orderly manner and that crime does not limit itself to the city.
The village is buzzing with gossip about the suicide of a local well to do widow and then is sent reeling by the murder of Roger Ackroyd, the wealthiest man in town. Poirot is drawn into these problems by Ackroyd's niece, Flora and finds himself not only dealing with murder but also with blackmail, petty theft and romance.
In Hastings absence the story is told by the local doctor who is also a next door neighbor of Hercule Poirot.
When this novel came out in 1926 it was immensely popular and somewhat controversial in that it broke one of the 'rules' for a good dectective novel (and you will have to read the book to find out which one). THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD ranks with AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (AKA TEN LITTLE INDIANS) and MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS as Christie at her most orginal.
This story is also significant in that one of the characters, Caroline, the doctor's sister, has been credited by Christie as being the forerunner of Miss Marple. The soon to be familiar Christie theme of small towns as hot beds of intrigues both large and small is seen here for the first time.
This book has aged very gracefully, the first time reader of today will probably be just as surprised as the readers of the 1920's were. As always with a Christie the clues are all there fairly laid out for the reader to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious!, Jan. 20 2004
By A Customer
Having been gripped for two days by THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD, I can say that it is a superbly written novel. It certainly is ingenious the way Agatha Christie conceals the identity of the murderer from the reader until the final chapters. The last chapter of all is chilling. As a narrative and as a mind-puzzle, THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD is a great detective story...possibly one of the greatest ever written.

The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd: A Hercule Poirot Mystery
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd: A Hercule Poirot Mystery by Agatha Christie (Paperback - Feb. 8 2011)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 11.54