summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 22, 2016
As someone with Asperger's, I've always struggled to understand why people lie, how they keep track of their lies (or, if they don't, how they then cover their lies with more lies), why so many people are happy to believe lies, and corruption in general. A friend got this book for me, but I've found it very tough to try to get through. (Tough as in having to sometimes go page by page with friends to ask for their input so I can wrap my mind around certain concepts and ideas).
I don't know if everyone with Asperger's finds lying irrational and confusing, but I always have, and while I think I have a somewhat better understanding now of lies and corruption (thanks in large part to this book and subsequent conversations with friends), the whole concept still baffles, confuses, and angers me. (Angers me because lying still makes no sense, is confusing, and I've had to go to extraordinary lengths to try to protect myself from lies other people tell, such as having to tape conversations with certain people to prove I correctly remember* a conversation and didn't agree to this or that, or didn't yell at someone, etc). *I read The Invisible Gorilla a few years ago, so I understand that many people misremember and delude themselves about a lot of things, but The Honest Truth goes much further and deeper.
I think the subject matter is very unpleasant, but needs to be read. However, the reader should make up their own mind about what to believe and accept. For example, I think the observations about tolerance of corruption and lies in government are very good, but many sweeping statements about other things are nonsense as not everyone is the same. Or.. is stating, "Everyone does [this or that]" meant to be an example of a convincing lie? You decide. But if you're a neurotypical, I think you'll have a much easier time reading and understanding this book. It gave me a headache.
on September 25, 2014
This book, makes the point -- based on lots of ingenious research tests -- that we all engage in dishonesties that serve the purpose of burnishing our self-images. Given the book's amusing jacket design and title, we might call these 'Pinocchio dishonesties'. We tend to this troublesome behavior whenever the idea assaults us that we are not worthy by our own standards and sometimes also when we think we are not worthy by others' standards. This behavior is a natural human habit/instinct out of which we can only grow either with the love and help of others or by reminding ourselves of the value of sorting out truth from its opposite (and it appears -- to coaches and therapists -- to arise most strongly when we are verging on losing the will to engage or live). The prevalence of the behaviour implies that we are in the automatic habit of remembering events in such a way that we remain worthy in our own eyes.

This point is, in my opinion, true for me, true for you, and true for everyone on the Planet, although not, of course, to the same extent because there are differences in how we were nurtured, are educated, and practise learning to respect, discover, and discuss what is actually true or not.

Prof. Ariely tries hard to find optimism in the implications of his work and certainly makes some practical suggestions proven reliable by his research. A more thorough-going work to help us all emancipate from the Pinocchio tendencies to which this book draws our attention may have to await the documentation of Eye-Zen English, whose root idea rests on the value of acknowledging our states of being with "I have 'X emotion' now" statements in which 'X emotion' is verifiably authentic.
on January 20, 2014
Well researched and documented. Written in a compelling style. His conclusion are worth considering. Leaders in educational institutions, government and business should read this, as well as the general public. Countries which do not curb widespread dishonesty, which becomes elevated over time in business and government eventually slide into serious corruption. Corruption robs the vulnerable of educational opportunities, medical care, etc because money is siphoned off by the powerful.
*A full executive-style summary of this book is now available at newbooksinbrief dot wordpress dot com.

There is certainly no shortage of lying, cheating and corruption in our society today. At their worst, these phenomena do substantial damage to our communities and the people in them. Picking on the corporate world for just a moment, consider a few high-profile examples from the last decade: the scandals at Enron, WorldCom, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, Haliburton, Kmart, Tyco, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and a host of banks in the financial crisis of 2008.

If you are a particularly pessimistic person, you may think that people are fundamentally self-interested, and will engage in dishonest and corrupt behaviour so long as the potential benefits of this behaviour outweigh the possibility of being caught multiplied by the punishment involved (known as the Simple Model of Rational Crime or SMORC). On the other hand, if you are a particularly optimistic person, you may think that the lying and cheating that we see in our society is largely the result of a few bad apples in the bunch.

Given that the way we attempt to curb cheating and corruption depends largely on which view we think is correct, we would do well if we could come up with a proper understanding of these tendencies, and under what circumstances they are either heightened or diminished. Over the past several years, the behavioral economist Dan Ariely, together with a few colleagues, has attempted to do just this--by way of bringing dishonesty into the science lab. Ariely reveals his findings in his new book, The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone--Especially Ourselves.

In order to get at the truth, Ariely invited subjects into his lab and gave them tasks with monetary rewards, where cheating was a very real and clear possibility. As you can tell from the title of the book, Ariely found that cheating was not confined to a few bad apples, but was in fact very widespread. On the bright side, though, Ariely also found that the vast majority of his subjects did not cheat nearly as much as they could have, but instead confined themselves to just a little bit of cheating.

Given his findings, Ariely concludes that most of us are torn between two conflicting impulses. On the one hand is the desire to get ahead by way of dishonesty, and on the other hand is the desire to nevertheless think of ourselves as genuinely honest and good people. Getting the best of the both worlds can be tricky, but we manage to do so by way of resorting to our trusty capacities of rationalization and self-deception. Of course, different people show different powers of rationalization and self-deception, and also different circumstances can alter the terms of the negotiation significantly for each of us, thus leading to more or less cheating.

For instance, Ariely found that those who are especially creative are particularly good at rationalization and self-deception, and therefore tend to cheat more so than others (in fact, Ariely found that even priming normal subjects with words related to creativity can increase their cheating behaviour). In addition, he also found that several factors influence the amount that people cheat in general. These factors included being reminded of one's morals; playing for tokens representing money, as opposed to money itself; having one's resolve broken down by will-power depletion; wearing counterfeit clothing and merchandise (as opposed to the genuine article); having one's self-confidence artificially inflated; witnessing other people cheating (either from one's own in-groups, or from out-groups); cheating to benefit others etc.

While these findings are interesting in their own right, Ariely insists that they also have practical value, as he uses his findings to chart out suggestions with regards to how we can minimize cheating and corruption in our own lives, as well as in society at large.

Ariely's clever lab experiments yield many interesting findings with regards to dishonesty, and he tells about them in a very easy and relatable way in his book. My only real criticism is that Ariely does not get into the evolutionary story about the conflicting desires that he identifies, and how and why they may have been laid down in our evolutionary past. Though such a story is not absolutely essential here (as the research does stand on its own), it would add substantially to our understanding of the subject (and is interesting in its own right), and would therefore by very worthwhile. For a full and comprehensive summary of the main argument in the book, as well as many of the juicier details and anecdotes to be found therein, visit newbooksinbrief dot wordpress dot com, and click on article #16.
on May 5, 2014
I would recommend this book to my friends. It is a good insight into what motivates people to cheat, steal , lie etc. and what deters people from being dishonest. I couldn't put it down.
on July 2, 2012
It's easy to see the faults in others.

Dan Ariely writes about the irrational behaviours of our species in a wonderfully entertaining manner such that you understand it's not just 'others' who have faults, it's everyone - even you and I.

In "The Honest Truth About Dishonesty", Professor Ariely and his colleagues demonstrate what can impact or amplify the likelihood of humans acting in a less than honest manner.

The book doesn't guarantee to make us into honest people, but it does help us to recognize the situations where dishonesty is most likely to occur so that we can consider ourselves forewarned and act accordingly.
on February 14, 2016
Excellent book. I read it and I feel amazed of the content and all the researches. I am still in the middle of the book but enjoying every moment.
on July 3, 2015
Wonderful book. A really good read. Also bought it as a Xmas present I enjoyed it so much.
on June 5, 2016