5.0 out of 5 stars My Fav. NDE Books � I�ve Been There Too
Published on Dec 31 2003 by Stephanie Hart

3.0 out of 5 stars I used to love this book!
And I still have sentimental feelings for it. When someone I know has passed on, I hope that the things I've read in "Life After Life" really do provide a "preview."
Published on June 21 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My Fav. NDE Books � I�ve Been There Too, Dec 31 2003
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
One day in 1995 I died, and had a NDE. Ever since then, I've been reading everything I can on the subject. According to most stories I've read, I had an unusual one, not going down a tunnel, but experiencing many interesting phenomena all the same. It seems to me that there are some NDE books and magazine articles that are just hype, and published just to give recognition. I have found, through my many years and multitudes of books on the subject, that there is an underlining truth and spirit that pervades the true experiences. So, I have compiled a list of my best reads for NDE books - ones that I consider genuine and adding validating light to the personal NDE experience. I have left out compilations, these are personal narratives. I hope you enjoy them too.
Embraced by the Light ------by Betty J. Eadie

5.0 out of 5 stars Life after death, is it for real?, Oct. 3 2012
Alan Rivière "Maggie's Dad" (Southwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
Among the books on the topic of life after death, this 1975 book "Life After Life" by Raymond Moody is a undoubtedly a better written one. It is an well-organized first person account of near-death experience, based on the interviews of 150 people. At the end of the book, the author offers a number of plausible explanations of the near-death experience. Raymond Moody is better qualified among authors of books of this genre. He is medical doctor and has doctorate degrees in psychology and philosophy. His academic credentials make his writings on the topic of life after death more credible (See Note). Throughout most the book, Moody tries to be neutral, although his leaning in the belief of life after death is apparent. I was an agnostic before I read the book; I remain one afterward, but I become more knowledgeable on the topic. At the end, it is up to the reader to decide whether life after death is for real.

Note: Moody's 1975 book was followed by a torrent of publications on the topic of life after death, many written by authors who claim to be mediums with special psychic ability and can communicate with the dead or authors with minimal qualifications on the topic. I find their writings suspect.

3.0 out of 5 stars I used to love this book!, June 21 2001
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
But if you read Connie Willis' "Passage," a novel about scientists who study NDEs, you will wonder. You will ask just how Moody conducted his research. Did he ask his subjects leading questions? Did he encourage them down certain paths?
Nobody wants to believe his vision more than I. But there are things that we non-scientists need to know before evaluating a work like this. This is not to say that Connie's vision is "correct." But her book points out the weaknesses that MAY be inherent in "Life After Life." If a researcher goes in with pre-conceived notions and expectations, he can - if he's skillful and personable - lead his witnesses to the conclusions he has already drawn.
Death is a mystery, folks. That's the way it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, Sept. 2 2013
wonderful to read, soothing when you have lost someone, hopeful after reading it and written in such an understanding way, thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moody backs off afterlife claim!, Nov. 15 2003
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
Although this book is a classic, Raymond Moody later wrote another book called "The Last Laugh" which he wishes was an addendum to "Life After Life." In "Last Laugh" he has backed off the claim that NDE's are evidence of an afterlife. However, if one is interested in an indepth assessment of the afterlife evidence, then I highly recommend Stephen Braude's "Immortal Remains" which also gives very good reasons why NDE's are poor evidence for the "survivalist" hypothesis. If you examine much of the survival evidence, it's not clear what to say. It's not clear to what extent it can be explained away in terms of normal or abnormal processes, or even in terms of paranormal processes among the living. Some of the so-called evidence scarcely makes sense even if one accepts the idea of postmortem survival. These are matters that Braude's book examines at length, and he still comes to the assessment that the best cases for mediumship, reincarnation, possession, and hauntings do better support the view that some aspects of our personality and personal consciousness survives the death of our bodies, at least for a time.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Proof of What We Already Know, Jan. 10 2001
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
This book is another testament to immortality. (It has to be remembered that Dr. Moody is giving a HUMBLE approach to hightime controversy.)
Dr. Moody presents the main components of what he calls the Near-Death-Experience. NDE's happen when a person is 'clinically' dead. The same patient is later 'brought back' after a minute or so. But often they come back telling stories of a Being of Light, or a dark tunnel, or travelling through the hospital in another kind of body. What Dr. Moody has done is the isolation of the common themes of the NDE: the tunnel, the noise, the Being of Light, angels, life-review, feeling of peace, regret of coming back, etc. He decides that when the evidence is weighed up, the NDE can only be a spiritual experience. In the sequel book, "Beyond the Light," Dr. Moody shows why medical explanations fail to account for the NDE.
Nearing the end of the book, Dr. Moody considers the older conceptions of death, as with Plato. He finds similarities!
What I found most interesting, of all, was the life-review. The Bible says that 'every hair on your head is counted.' In like manner, the life-review is a critique of EVERYTHING we have EVER said or done. In only a moment we see THE ENTIRETY OF OUR LIFE in a panoramic vision, like Dicken's 'A Christmas Carol.' This would seem to defy mathematics, but any mystic will know what we are talking about. I myself grew up believing that EVERYTHING IS KNOWN. And now, thanks to Dr. Moody, I have some verification.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Look At NDE's, April 28 2000
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
This is a fascinating look at a poorly-understood phenomenon. the author tries to give an abstract model of the accounts of many people who have come close to death or who have been "clinically" dead for some time. He mentions the characteristics that any NDE's tend to be a subset of: Out-of-body experiences, going through the tunnel, meeting beings of life, seeing dead relatives, the loud ringing sound, and so on. Very little speculation is done here (and I think that is for the better), but rather the existential aspects are emphasised. Rather than impressing me with the possibility of life after death, the book seemed to mark upon me the untapped potantials of the human mind, which are just beginning to be learned about. the book will do little to convince any serious-minded reader of the actuality of life after death, which is a good thing, I think . . . when dealing with such matters, I do not think one should rely on a book, but on direct experience. So I do not believe that the reality of "only life" can ever be scientifically proven. Nevertheless, a study of such matters may provide a valuable psychological asset in the study of human beings. For a more detailed and scientific look, please refer to Ian Richardson's and Kenneth Ring's research.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the pioneer writers on life beyond death, Dec 19 1999
Jackie M. Sthilaire "Memere Jackie" (Manchester, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
In 1974 after experiencing a very powerful marriage encounter weekend, I had a spiritual encounter with my deceased step dad who had passed away in October of 1973. I also experienced a great love from my step dad, Marcel , followed by the same great love from my father Alfred (died in 1944) and than a tremendous overwhelming love from God, our Father. Arms enveloping me all three together as one being. Having been terribly afraid of death and not believing that I was good enough to receive eternal life, this experience gave me the answer to the question of life after life. At that same moment I was lifted above the couch, saw my non-moving body on the couch, saw my funeral procession with my children, husband and tried to get up from the couch and could not until I truly believed that if I let go of my self-centeredness I would be free. I immediately remembered that my 2 year old daughter, Lisa was napping and told myself that I needed to come back to take care of her. I came across Raymond Moody's book and was relieved to realize that others had had the same experience as I and it gave me great comfort. Other books to lightened up the journey are Death: The Final Stage of Growth by Dr. Kubler-Ross and Carl Jung's Memories, Dreams, Reflections.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful gift for the bereaved., May 24 1996
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
This book is a wonderful gift for our recently bereaved friends, or those who have not
yet accepted the loss of a loved one. It is compatible with most religious outlooks and
doctrines.
This very original work is a joy to read, and is a great solace and comfort to anyone
who has ever had to deal with death of friend or family. Insights are given as to the true
nature of death as a sequel to life, and the reality of a glorious afterlife. Largely due to
improvements in medical technologies, many people are now brought back from near-death, often
with reports of their experiences upon entering and glimpsing another world just over the
threshhold between life and death...Their first hand reports are thrilling. The manner in which
Dr. Moody presents these experiences, shared with him over the years by his patients, is sensitive
and meaningful, never morbid or frightening. Upon completion, the reader may well exclaim, "Death,
where is thy sting?".
This is a "must read"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace at last from a lifetime of fear, June 30 2001
Cheyenne Martin (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
In September last year my darling mum died. She had cancer but died a peaceful and almost painless death. Mum had no fear of death or dying. But from the moment she died, I have desperately wanted to know where she went. I do not believe that a human being's life is completely snuffed out upon death. Reading Raymond Moody's book confirmed my belief. I no longer wonder what happened to Mum, where she went or even where she is now - I am at peace about all that. All my life I have deeply feared the inevitability of my own death. Now, when I think of death, I am no longer anxious and afraid. Again, I feel peace. Dr Moody's research has given me an intelligent, substantiated answer to what I once believed was an unanswerable question about the unknown. His book went straight to the heart of my need. If you fear death, or have lost someone you love, read Life after Life. It will answer many of your questions, diminish your fear and relieve some of your pain.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Life After Life
Life After Life by Raymond Moody (Paperback - Feb. 22 2001)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36