5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously sad!
Published on June 24 2004 by Luis M. Luque

3.0 out of 5 stars A well written book
The book Bridge to Terabithia is a story of two friends with a world all their own. Jess, the first of the two, is a shy kid with some dreams and ambitions. Leslie is a tomboy with a big imagination, and fast. On the first day of school, she proves herself faster than any of the boys in third, fourth and fifth grades. Although Jess was shy of her at first, once they...
Published on March 22 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously sad!, June 24 2004
Luis M. Luque "luquel" (Crofton, Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia (Paperback)
This book is hard to describe. I read it before buying it for my niece a few years after it was first published. I thought it was excellent, especially at depicting the mind of a pre-adolescent boy and how he confronts tragedy. Everything about the book struck me as honest, true and insightful at the time. Though looking at it now, some of the author's messages seem to lack subtlety. But how much subtlety do you want in children's literature? Still, I'm sure the author would be offended to hear me call this "children's literature." The fact is it's a great and enjoyable read that will keep your child thinking for a long time. But it's also a book that any adult can enjoy and will also have them thinking as well. If you don't own this one, buy it today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Life Lessons, June 23 2004
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia (Paperback)
I have read "Bridge to Terabithia" many times as both a child and adult, and have continued to return to it for many reasons. Jess, an unappreciated artistic boy, feels pressure from his family and school to live up to their expectations of "male" behavior, yet he learns with the help of individualistic Leslie that he needs to be true to himself. Together they create a magical kingdom where they can be themselves, applaud each others' talents, and escape the closed-minded world that fails to understand them. When Leslie suddenly leaves Jess' life, Jess realizes he has gained the confidence (with Leslie's help) to face the world on his own. He then passes Terabithia on to someone else who needs its "powers" the same way he did. This powerful, touching book teaches readers to always be themselves, that struggles and tragedies can make us stronger and bring us closer together, that appearances can be deceiving, and that friendship and imagination have remarkable powers. My class of reluctant 6th grade readers loved this book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read For All Ages, April 27 2004
Sarah Viator (Lafayette, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia (Paperback)
This story begins at the end of eleven-year-old Jesse Aarons'summer. Jesse had just spent the whole summer preparing for the races at school. Because of his family's financial status, Jesse desperately tries to be better than the rest of his classmates. He strives to be the fasted runner in his class. He then meets Leslie Burke when she moves to their town. However, he didn't expect to be beat by a girl. Leslie did not care about the fact that she was faster than all the boys. Jesse becomes one of the few people who talk to Leslie. Leslie looks different from many of the rest of the girls at school. And for that reason she is constantly teased. Once Jesse and Leslie become friends they face many adversities. Together they build a secret palace in the woods outside their house. They utilize a vine to access their secret palace. Upon returing from a trip, Jesse is confronted with some terrible news. This story is a timeless story of the importance of friendship. It is great for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book shows all anotions!, April 26 2004
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia (Paperback)
Katherine Paterson is the author of the book called Bridge to Terabithia. This book is a book about friendship, emotion, and adventure. If you want to know, this is a really great book.
In this book, there are three main characters. Their names are Jesse, he is about ten years old, and Lesley, she is about the same age and she lives right next to Jesse, and P.T. (Lesley's puppy) or Prince Terrain. The place that the two characters go the most is Terabithia (the woods). The other settings are at Jesse's house and at school. The three main events are Jesse and Lesley find a river in the middle of the woods, and they cross the river and name the found land Terabithia. Then on Lesley's birthday, Jesse gave her a puppy, Lesley named the puppy Prince Terrain (or P.T.).
I liked the book because it was a mix. It was a thriller, mystery, and adventure book. I like the book because some of it is funny, like the time when Brenda lost her Twinkie to a boy and screamed "TWINKIE!!!", and some of its scary when Lesley talked about giants and at school it seems like three kids is the giants.
The theme of this book is "friends are the best thing to have". This is the theme of the book because when they became friends, they got used to each other so much that they were like brother and sister. In conclusion, Bridge to Terabithia is a wonderful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bridge To Terabeithia, March 1 2004
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia (Paperback)
I am in high school now i red this book in the 6th grade and loved this book. We did projects on it and i just enjoyed it a great deal. I love this book. I have read it like 5 times. This was our class favorite book as much as i can remember. Well I just got a high school english project on books that have been banned or are still banned at one point. I was suprised to see that this book was on that list. So i was moved and decided that i was going to pick this book to understand the reason that some parent or teacher decided that this book had a reason to banned. i havent found much information yet, but i still just cant see why they would do something. Katherine Paterson and Judy Blum they are on list that most of their books have benn banned. I think that is crazy and reading the reviews on this book it makes no since to why someone is banned this book. So if you are a person that banned this book or have banned books make sure you have a good reason to do so. I LOVE THIS BOOK AND THE AUTHOR!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridge To Terabithia, Jan. 22 2004
By A Customer
I am one of those people who loves to read. When I start a book, I never want to put it down. When I read Bridge To Terabithia, I really never wanted to put it down. The thing I didn't like about reading this book in sections was because we had to read from one place, and stop at another. I didn't want to stop reading at a certain point. I wanted to just read on.
Bridge To Terabithia is about a girl who moves to a place, and becomes very good friends with a boy who lives near her. Leslie, the girl, has a very big imagination. Jesse, the boy, loves to draw, and has an imagination, but not as vivid as Leslie's. At first, Jesse thinks he's never in the world is going to be friends with this girl. But Jesse finds out, Leslie is a tomboy, and they put aside their differences, and become friends. One day, Leslie decides to make a place, just for her and Jesse, in the forest near Leslie's house. When an unexpected tragedy happens, their friendship helps Jesse cope with the tragedy, and change his life forever. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a friendship book, and can deal with the fact af a tragedy. Bridge To Terabithia is a great book, and I hope all who read it love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the depressing novella I had anticipated, Dec 30 2003
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia (Paperback)
I'm going to record the summary of this book as I read it in the front of the original 1977 original. "The life of a ten-year-old boy in rural Virginia expands when he becomes friends with a newcomer who subsequently meets an untimely death trying to reach their hideaway, Terabithia, during a storm". I was surprised, on reading it, at how an accurate summary of a book's plot can make it seem entirely different than the story itself. I'm also quite glad I didn't read it prior to actually reading the book. Not that I didn't know that the character Leslie (the tomboy that befriends the book's protagonist) was going to die. This book was fairly well known when I was a child of the 1980s and everybody knew, without even reading it, that in it a girl dies. In fact, for years I lay under the mistaken impression that Jesse (the story's hero) carries the body of Leslie back to Terabithia for one last time. There's even an illustration in the book that makes it look as if this scene is taking place. When I read the book for myself, I was shocked to find that this little piece of commonly known lore was, in fact, patently untrue. More importantly, I found that my early perceptions of this novel as a boring and depressing novel were far off the mark.
The book is a good hard slog, but it has its enjoyable moments as well. There are sweet but not overly sentimental points in the story that give the book more meaning than it might otherwise have. I was touched by Jesse's affection for his younger sisters. His older sisters were displayed as demons, but you can't help but notice that when Jesse isn't thinking directly about them, they show some compassion for others. For example, they pool their money with Jesse to buy their younger sister a Barbie for Christmas.
Quite frankly, I liked the book almost against my will. I can't imagine that all kids would enjoy it, but they should at least give it a chance. The late 70s feel of it is particularly interesting, though kids probably won't get some of the older references. This book would pair best with another tale in which a strange kid comes to town and befriends the narrator such as Kate DiCamillo's "The Tiger Rising" or, better yet, David Almond's "Skellig".

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridge To Terabithia a review by Meghan, Dec 30 2003
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia (Paperback)
Do you believe in magical, mystical, and adventurous places? If so, do I have a book for you, and it's called Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. The main character or protagonist is a 10-year-old boy named Jess. He is going into fifth grade at Lark Creek Elementary. This year Jess will have an experience he'll never forget.
There's a new girl at Lark Creek Elementary, named Leslie Burke and she moves in next door to Jess. The two of them become friends and decide to construct a secret world where they're the rulers and can do whatever they please. The thing is though; you can't just walk and get in. No, you must swing across Lark Creek (by rope) to get to this special place.
During spring vacation the rain is relentless. Leslie and Jess are embittered because they can't go to Terabithia. That day Jess gets a phone call from his teacher who wants him to go to an art museum, and Jess could not resist because he loves art and loves to draw. So he goes with her. That day Leslie goes to Terabithia for the last time without Jess at her side. Leslie never comes back from Terabithia. That muddy day left Jess speechless.
If you're interested in finding out what happened, read this great edge of seat book for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bridge to Terabithia, Dec 7 2003
elle emery (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia (Paperback)
Bridge to Terabithia was a wonderfully written book. It explained the many perils of life and how difficult life can be. A young ten-year-old boy, by the name of Jess Aarons lives with his family on a farm. When a new girl and her family move into the old Perkins place, Jess knows that they won't stay very long. "No one ever stay's long in the Perkins place," Jess's mother would say. Jess and the girl, Leslie Burke, become wonderful friends. They do everything together. They even make up a magical kingdom called Terabithia. Jess and Leslie make great friends. Jess has the smarts and the athleticism and Leslie has the imagination and strength. They teach each other lessons that will never be forgotten. When one day something unexpected happens. The whole of Jess's world goes off tilter and he doesn't know how to respond. Somehow, with Leslie's help, he is able to get through.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I thought that Katherine Patterson wrote in the mind of a ten-year-old boy very well and she knew just what they would think in a tragedy. I enjoyed reading about Jess and his family. Many times Jess would not get along with the rest of his family and he would just need a break from them, but when he needed them the most, they were there for him. Jess and Leslie were wonderful friends from the start. You could tell that Leslie was special to Jess when he gave her Prince Terrien, the puppy, for Christmas one year. Jess and Leslie cared about each other and had big plans. I thought that their family's supported their friendship very well. I enjoyed every aspect of the book. I thought the writing was fluent and it always made since. I also thought that the writing style kept me interested in Jess's life and what happened next.
There were not many things that I disliked about the book. The one major event that made me lose focus was the tragedy. I thought that it became very predictable. Once the story became closer and closer to the tragedy many events took place that practically told you what was about to happen. Such as, the thunderstorm and the fact that Jess left for the day. Katherine Patterson started to give all of these clues that almost TOLD you what was going to happen next in the book. I thought that this aspect made the book less enjoyable. When an author gives away the ending to a story it is no fun to read the rest of the book. I thought this was the one minor flaw that Katherine Patterson had as a writer.
Bridge to Terabithia was a well-written book that I would recommend to a reader of all ages. It is an exciting book that made you want to keep reading and it also was an interesting book that made you think twice about many aspects of life. It made me think about how strong a friendship can be and how important your family is to you. Bridge to Terabithia was a great book and I think that you should consider reading about the life of Jess Aarons and Leslie Burke as they lead you through the magical kingdom of Terabithia.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book that Touches your Heart, Dec 3 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Bridge to Terabithia (Hardcover)
Bridge to Terabithia is a realistic fiction book. It is about a boy named Jesse who has an ambition to draw, but can¡¯t because everyone judges him. He takes up running because he hopes that might make his dad proud of him, and also because he likes winning the daily races at his school. All summer long, he wakes up early so he can practice running and be the best at racing when he goes back to school. While running, he meets his new neighbor, Leslie, who is soon to be his newfound best friend. At first Jesse hates Leslie because she beats him at racing, but they slowly become friends. As they become friends, he realizes that Leslie isn¡¯t like anyone he has ever met before, somehow, she makes things seem magical in her own way. One thing that she made magical was Terabithia, the place that she and Jesse make for themselves. ¡°We need a place,¡± she said, ¡°just for us.¡± Terabithia is the place that Jesse and Leslie share their secrets, dreams and hopes, but they didn¡¯t know that someday Terabithia would build a tragedy.
I loved this book and I would recommend it to anyone, boy or girl. It is a great book because it shows the true meaning of friendship, and also teaches you that it is okay to be friends with a boy when you are a girl. This book is touching and you never want to put it down and it¡¯s a definite page-turner. This genre is great for anyone to read because the plot is believable but is also fiction; Bridge to Terabithia used the genre to show you the love of a family, and how important friendship is.

Bridge To Terabithia
Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (Paperback - June 17 1987)
CDN$ 8.75 CDN$ 8.31