countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 5, 2016
How wonderful that The secret Garden lived up to my memories of when I read it at about age ten. Since that was more than sixty years ago and memories tend to grow shinier over time, that's saying something. And the original illustrations are the icing on the cake!
on October 17, 2008
I tend to collect children's literature as much for the illustration as for the literary content. The Secret Garden is a classic and is well-known and reviewed elsewhere as a piece of writing. This particular edition, illustrated by Inga Moore, is also visually exquisite. Slightly oversize, it gives space for an illustrator/designer to concoct something wonderful. There are illustrations on almost every page... almost. They leave the odd two facing pages illustration-free, bringing the turning the page to be like the joyful surprise of entering the secret garden yourself. Some illustrations are full page, some are strips along the edges, some are little close-up vignette boxes as if examining individual flowers. Some are pen and ink botanica, some are creatures scurrying across the pages, some are like watermark backdrops. Most are full color and highly detailed and accurate. The story is rightly a classic for its wonderfully transforming and healing relationships. The illustration is a joy to match and highly complements the book. This is a special current edition to have in your library, even if you have another.
on June 23, 2016
I bought this book for my child...it was my favourite book when I was in elementary school. I always wished that I had a secret garden of my own to play in. The story shows you that with hope, happiness will return.
on December 3, 2015
This is my daughter's (age 10) favourite book, and I wanted to get her a version that she would be able to treasure forever...and this is it! Every illustration is like a beautiful piece of art, and it just adds to the beauty of this classic. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on June 24, 2002
The Secret Garden (book review)
Soon Kim
June 18, 2002
Do you believe in magic? If you read The Secret Garden you will experience the amazing magic, I am sure.
Mistress Mary Lennox was born in India. Her parents paid no attention to her. Mary is not loved by all, she is spoiled, gloomy, sullen, and selfish in India. Suddenly, her parents die and she goes to live with her uncle on the Yorkshire moors of England. But also her uncle is an apathetic person.
When she arrived in Yorkshire she found another person who looked like herself. He is her selfish sickly cousin Colin. Mary and Colin discover his mother's garden. They take care of flowers and trees together, and they have a great deal of fun together. Mary learns to accept that there are other people in the world, and she helps Colin. The garden's magic makes the two children's characters normal and happy through good people and the beautiful secret garden.
I wish that you would read this book; if you need to love, if your mind has been devastated, if your life is dry and boring, if you lose interest in everything, then read The Secret Garden and your mind will sprout " The word is so beautiful." I still smell many kinds of sour smelling blushful roses in the secret garden. The sweet roses are coloring my mind still ......... I love them so.
on June 4, 2009
The book is beautifully done and my wife and son enjoy reading it nightly. He is in grade one and we were looking for a longer book to start for bed time. My wife remembers this one from when she was little. The illistrations in it really bring the story to life and after so many years she said it was a delight to read it again. My son is enchanted with the idea of a hidden garden. Our back yard and his imagination due to this story have really changed.
on June 2, 2003
I read this book in school, and in class it was sort of boring, since we had so many reports, tests, and questions to do for it, and such things always ruin books for me. Well, I saw it sitting on my shelf collecting dust, and I thought, "I've nothing better to read right now, let's see if I still think that it's boring." I read it within three hours and I truly did not find it boring. Mary was such an interesting character, and I took to her immediately. Her developement from a bad tempered and unhealthy girl into a better tempered nice and healthy girl was gradual throughout the book, and I found it to be a charming book. For those who like nice stories for reading to your children at night or for just reading on a rainy day, read this book.
on January 12, 2012
I was younger when I read this, and my mom used to read it to me, and it was really interesting. I saw the movie before reading the book, and the book was better. (It is always better to read the book first and then see the movie version of it, if there is.) The book and the movie has small details that are different. The characters are well described, and it is exciting, for a classic. Everyone should read it!

The Ghost Writer
on July 23, 2003
I read "The Secret Garden" as a child and fell in love with it.Now,as a 23 year old adult,it is still as endearing to me as it was then.The characters and the setting are so realistic.Whenever I read it now,I can still feel the cold wind and fog of England,and can also see every plant and flower in the garden.I recommend that children and adults alike read this book.You will treasure it.
on July 15, 2004
I think that this is FHB's best book. Although I certainly enjoy the romatic ideas of diamond mines, life-size dolls, and (completly platonic) secret admirers (as all appear in "A Little Princess") nothing beats the spunky nature and burgeonng independance of Mary, Colin and Dickon.
After her parents die of Cholera, spoiled brat Mary is sent to live with her uncle in Yorshire. She is shocked, absolutely shocked, to find a world that is the complete opposite of India. Not just the weather: gone is the fully staffed nursery which completely revolved around her every whim (and she had a lot of them) and in its place is a local maid who brings her breakfast and that's about it. Mary doesn't even know how to dress herself.
Appalled at first by the notion of having to look after herself, Mary discovers that it's really not so bad. Especially when she discovers a secret garden that has been locked for ten years. Together with her cousin, a boy as bratty and obnoxious as she is, and Dickon, a local boy with a way with living things, she sets about to bring the garden back to life. Mary and Colin, who have been raised with fairly good intentions and plenty of material possesions but no real love, learn what love is as they care for and nurture the garden.
Burnett really has an ear for children's dialogue, and she brings a real sympathy to Colin and Mary even when they are at their most obnoxious. In addition, their transformation is believable, complete with little relapses into their self-absorbed natures.
This is a book that is perfect for people of all ages.