5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have Bedtime Book...
Published on July 10 2004 by PAT

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the most boring book ever!
Published on Jan. 12 2000 by Heidi Sixt

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have Bedtime Book..., July 10 2004
PAT "wishccr" (Loveland, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
This book was one of our bedtime rituals. When I was weaning my son from frequent night-time breastfeedings, we would read this book at bedtime every evening. Sometimes I could hear him "reading" this book to himself in the dark if he was still have trouble settling down. Often, we read it in unison, and chuckled together. It's sweet and slow and comforting, and simply taking the time to cuddle and read it has a peaceful effect on both parent and child.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPECIAL LULLABY RHYMING BEDTIME STORY, July 30 2002
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
This is one of my daughter's favorite books. She will be four soon and still loves this book! She enjoys the rhymes and bright, bold colors--and the bunny.
I think what makes this book so special, among many things, is that it's short, full of contrasting, bright colors, and the fact that "Mommy" is reading it. I cuddle up with her and have the lights dimmed and she's dressed and ready for bed with her favorite blanket, relaxed and ready to look and listen.
The part after, "Goodnight comb, And goodnight brush," where it next says, "Goodnight nobody," I have placed a baby picture of my daughter and we say together, "Goodnight________,"(her name.) She enjoys seeing herself in the book and I think it's great for her to basically tell herself to go to sleep!
The last full-page spread (which by the way, every colored page is a full-page spread) is particularly pleasant; the lights are dimmed in the baby bunny's room, he's in in his pajamas in his bed under the covers and the only things that are dominant and glowing are the moon and night stars, the fire in the fireplace, and the toyhouse's lights. Looking at that, what else would a child want to do but follow the bunny's lead and go to sleep? Goodnight Moon! (Big yawn...)
Suggestion: If your child doesn't want to let you leave after reading the book, you can make up your own "Goodnight ROOM" story and help him/her say goodnight to objects in his/her room. This in addition to the book, should do the trick!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the most boring book ever!, Jan. 12 2000
Heidi Sixt (San Fransisco, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I would definitely pass this book up. The picture on each page is nearly exactly the same as the picture on every other page - and they are all boring. The words are completely uninteresting. One advantage to this book, is that it does put you and your baby to sleep. My one year old and I enjoy many, many books together (her favorite is The Very Quiet Cricket), but this is not one that she enjoys at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
When I first read it, I was totally puzzled why it had endured all these years and is so well regarded. The illustrations, the colours, and the words were not very attractive to my adult eyes.

But when I read it to my little one, I saw that it captivated him because it contains all the elements very young children like - calm simple illustrations, but with enough interest, repetition and rhythm to entertain. It didn't overwhelm with snazzy colours, and the difference in perspective is wonderful for helping to focus and look for things in the various page. Finding the mouse became a great game! And it just grew on us, as did the sonority of the text. It's just one of those rare books that you get more and more out of along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gift, Dec 28 2006
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
"Goodnight Moon" fulfills two very powerful needs to small children - to keep their mothers close to their sides as long as possible and to make closure on their day by telling each object goodnight. It is a poetic and soothing book helping babies and parents to calm down and go to bed. This charming story of a young rabbit's bedtime ritual invokes the kind of cozy quiet that invites the peaceful security of pleasant dreams. This book is a "must have" for any parent of a young child. Add to it books from the series Cats Are Rascals and you have a perfect Christmas package.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Bedtime Comfort Book, March 14 2003
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
Of the hundreds of books that we read to our children when each of them were 5 and under, this was the best. Seeing the cover of the book takes me back to that feeling of having a child in jammies snuggled up next to me, hearing the story before bedtime. The illustrations are heart-warming. A rabbit is getting ready for bed. On each page, he says goodnight to something. A mouse is hidden on each page, and kids love to find it.
Buy this book if you have children who like bedtime stories. My children never tired of hearing this and I never tired of reading it to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic bedtime book/babies love it, June 5 2002
"campka98" (New Jersey/NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I received three GOODNIGHT MOON books as gifts when my baby was born, and now I know why! GOODNIGHT MOON is a soothing, rhythmic book. It is one of two books that lulls my baby to sleep every night.
The alternating color and black-and-white pictures are soothing and calming. The bright green colored pictures gradually become darker and darker as sleepy time approaches. The words are melodic and can even feel hypnotic if read in a certain way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's the mouse?, Jan. 18 2006
Cathie Gould (Oakville, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Paperback)
One of my greatest joys as a mom is watching my husband and son reading together. Goodnight Moon is one of their favourites. I love the rhythm and rhyme, they love finding things in the wonderful pictures. The best game of all is finding the little mouse on the coloured pages ... FAST! I'm looking forward to many more years of reading this to our daughter too.

4.0 out of 5 stars It grew on me..., Aug. 25 2011
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
While my husband was in the bookstore furiously looking for a little surprise for our 2 year old, he asked "Good Night Moon, how about that?" "Oh I've heard of that one!" was enough from me to convince him to get it and get out.

I'm familar with many classics, but Good Night Moon just wasn't one of them. I'd never seen the book before, and when I held it in my hands I was instantly disapointed. The color pallete of red, blue, orange and green with touches of white and yellow left much to be desired. The drawings were crude and unimaginitve. There's even a blank page that reads "good night nobody."

However after over a year in our bedtime book rotation, I've grown to adore this book. I realize now it has nothing to do with the illustrations, it's the prose. The writing is simple, and more importantly, it's rythemic. It has a calming affect and practically hypnotizes my daughter to sleep. I'd highly recommend Good Night Moon with the familiar adage, "don't judge a book my it's cover".

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good illustrations, story good for imagination., Feb. 11 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I bought this book, in board book edition, for my Daughter. The book has great illustrations, they are interesting. The pages in the book progress, to the bedroom growing darker, and darker, as lights go out, and so forth. Another point about the illustrations, is on some pages they are done in black and white, adding an interest, and two pages are blank, which was different; and this differnece seemed to interest my 17 month old. We especially liked the pictures of paintings in the book, the cow jumping over the moon, three bears on chairs, and the picture of the rabbit. You get the feeling of the book being from an older era too. The story itself, has a way of allowing a Child to use their own imagination. The only thing I wished were different, is there is a reference to "the old lady", which is a rabbit in the story, (I would rather think of as Grandma Rabbit), it would have been much sweeter, for a Childs book. Using the term old lady, seemed a bit harsh or rough to me.

Goodnight Moon
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (Paperback - Oct. 26 1977)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54