5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have Bedtime Book...
Published on July 10 2004 by PAT

1.0 out of 5 stars My 18-month-old daughter hates this!
Published on April 10 2000 by love_to_read

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have Bedtime Book..., July 10 2004
PAT "wishccr" (Loveland, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
This book was one of our bedtime rituals. When I was weaning my son from frequent night-time breastfeedings, we would read this book at bedtime every evening. Sometimes I could hear him "reading" this book to himself in the dark if he was still have trouble settling down. Often, we read it in unison, and chuckled together. It's sweet and slow and comforting, and simply taking the time to cuddle and read it has a peaceful effect on both parent and child.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPECIAL LULLABY RHYMING BEDTIME STORY, July 30 2002
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
This is one of my daughter's favorite books. She will be four soon and still loves this book! She enjoys the rhymes and bright, bold colors--and the bunny.
I think what makes this book so special, among many things, is that it's short, full of contrasting, bright colors, and the fact that "Mommy" is reading it. I cuddle up with her and have the lights dimmed and she's dressed and ready for bed with her favorite blanket, relaxed and ready to look and listen.
The part after, "Goodnight comb, And goodnight brush," where it next says, "Goodnight nobody," I have placed a baby picture of my daughter and we say together, "Goodnight________,"(her name.) She enjoys seeing herself in the book and I think it's great for her to basically tell herself to go to sleep!
The last full-page spread (which by the way, every colored page is a full-page spread) is particularly pleasant; the lights are dimmed in the baby bunny's room, he's in in his pajamas in his bed under the covers and the only things that are dominant and glowing are the moon and night stars, the fire in the fireplace, and the toyhouse's lights. Looking at that, what else would a child want to do but follow the bunny's lead and go to sleep? Goodnight Moon! (Big yawn...)
Suggestion: If your child doesn't want to let you leave after reading the book, you can make up your own "Goodnight ROOM" story and help him/her say goodnight to objects in his/her room. This in addition to the book, should do the trick!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Bedtime Comfort Book, March 14 2003
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
Of the hundreds of books that we read to our children when each of them were 5 and under, this was the best. Seeing the cover of the book takes me back to that feeling of having a child in jammies snuggled up next to me, hearing the story before bedtime. The illustrations are heart-warming. A rabbit is getting ready for bed. On each page, he says goodnight to something. A mouse is hidden on each page, and kids love to find it.
Buy this book if you have children who like bedtime stories. My children never tired of hearing this and I never tired of reading it to them.

1.0 out of 5 stars My 18-month-old daughter hates this!, April 10 2000
love_to_read (Oak Ridge, North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I bought this due to all the raving reviews. My daughter loves to be read to. She has a great attention span for a 18-month old. She would sit through 4 to 5 Dr Seuss' books (The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, etc) in one reading session. When I read Goodnight Moon to her the first time, she didn't let me finish, closed the book herself and tossed it. Every time I tried to read this to her, she said "No!" I'd say this book is not a keeper. I don't even like it myself! Is there a way to rate something no even a star?

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic bedtime book/babies love it, June 5 2002
"campka98" (New Jersey/NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I received three GOODNIGHT MOON books as gifts when my baby was born, and now I know why! GOODNIGHT MOON is a soothing, rhythmic book. It is one of two books that lulls my baby to sleep every night.
The alternating color and black-and-white pictures are soothing and calming. The bright green colored pictures gradually become darker and darker as sleepy time approaches. The words are melodic and can even feel hypnotic if read in a certain way.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the most boring book ever!, Jan. 12 2000
Heidi Sixt (San Fransisco, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I would definitely pass this book up. The picture on each page is nearly exactly the same as the picture on every other page - and they are all boring. The words are completely uninteresting. One advantage to this book, is that it does put you and your baby to sleep. My one year old and I enjoy many, many books together (her favorite is The Very Quiet Cricket), but this is not one that she enjoys at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's the mouse?, Jan. 18 2006
Cathie Gould (Oakville, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Paperback)
One of my greatest joys as a mom is watching my husband and son reading together. Goodnight Moon is one of their favourites. I love the rhythm and rhyme, they love finding things in the wonderful pictures. The best game of all is finding the little mouse on the coloured pages ... FAST! I'm looking forward to many more years of reading this to our daughter too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good illustrations, story good for imagination., Feb. 11 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I bought this book, in board book edition, for my Daughter. The book has great illustrations, they are interesting. The pages in the book progress, to the bedroom growing darker, and darker, as lights go out, and so forth. Another point about the illustrations, is on some pages they are done in black and white, adding an interest, and two pages are blank, which was different; and this differnece seemed to interest my 17 month old. We especially liked the pictures of paintings in the book, the cow jumping over the moon, three bears on chairs, and the picture of the rabbit. You get the feeling of the book being from an older era too. The story itself, has a way of allowing a Child to use their own imagination. The only thing I wished were different, is there is a reference to "the old lady", which is a rabbit in the story, (I would rather think of as Grandma Rabbit), it would have been much sweeter, for a Childs book. Using the term old lady, seemed a bit harsh or rough to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight my someone, goodnight my love, May 25 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
Somehow "Goodnight Moon" just keeps on trucking along. It is the number one bedtime story parents have sought out for years and years and years. It is colorful and sober. Elegant and peachy keen. The truth of the matter? I was never too attached to "Goodnight Moon" as a child. Raised on a diet of Steven Kellogg and Richard Scary I had a hard time adjusting to the low key murmurs and repetitive phrases of this most ancient of picture books. Looking at it now I am bowled over by its original publication date. 1947. Amazing. Who would or could have thought that this little unprepossessing story would come to win the hearts and minds of as many millions of parents and children as it has? And, more importantly, continues to do so.

You all know the story but I'm going to sum it up for you anyway. There is a bunny. It is attempting to go to sleep as an unnamed old lady says hush. The viewer is given the chance to look and and peruse the various objects around the room. Everything from the two kittens on the rug to a brightly lit little toyhouse. As we watch, the shadows lengthen and the room grows dimmer. Time on the clock passes. Finally, the restless little hare resigns itself to sleep and even the kittens cuddle together in the still quiet night.

Brown has written the book with enough simple but easy-to-understand words for your average preschooler. I have always felt that the point in the book where she cheats a little is when she writes, "Goodnight comb, and goodnight brush, goodnight nobody, goodnight mush". Goodbye nobody? Surely something could have been drawn there instead of a blank page. Nonetheless, it is not a boring book. Sleepifying, yes. Drowsy-making, yes. But not dull. As I've said, it is not my favorite children's picture book, but even I can see that it is well-constructed and well-written too. With the derth of really effective bedtime books out there that have the ability to put you to sleep on purpose, a title like, "Goodnight Moon" stands out with its simple methodical goodnights.

5.0 out of 5 stars "BOARD BOOK STATUS" perfect for our Little Bunny!, Feb. 18 2004
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
It is difficult, indeed, to find high quality books for young children these days. GOODNIGHT, MOON has rightfully earned its "classic" status, and the availabity of this book in board format is an added benefit.
Eager, little hands are known for crumpling the pages of their favorite books. Enter the board book -- voila! Your two-year-old's chubby fingers can turn the pages with ease! And so it should be with this timeless, sweet, and sensitive book about a little bunny who needs to say good-night to everyone and everything in his bedroom before finally going to sleep.
The perfect bedtime story is now available in the perfect format -- nearly indestructible pages (unless, of course, your child is prone to dropping things in the toilet) that will outlast his toddler years.
Hip, hip, hooray for GOODNIGHT, MOON as a board book!
----
Jill Schafer Boehme, Author of MY LIMA BEANS ARE ALLERGIC TO MY SPOON and Editor of MOMMY! The Internet Lifeline for At-home Moms (a free Ezine)

Goodnight Moon
Goodnight Moon by Brown (Paperback - Oct. 26 1977)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54