5.0 out of 5 stars Story of a Little Boy with a Huge Imagination
This classic little book is a lovely reflection on childhood imagination and the joys of creativity.
Tiny wide-eyed Harold, in his one piece jammies and purple crayon in hand, wanders through the night using the dark canvas of sky to draw whatever fanciful dreamscapes his curious young mind can conjure.
No dummy is our Harold. He is an inventive little fellow...
Published on June 8 2004 by Baroness Von Grim

3.0 out of 5 stars Not our favorite
Although this is a well known, classic children's book, my girls (3&6) are not not very interested. The drawings are simple and not very colorful. The idea that Harold draws things that become real is cool, but the story is not dynamically expressed. This book is a bit too sublime for my kids.
Published on Jan. 4 2003 by Joan C. Frank

5.0 out of 5 stars Story of a Little Boy with a Huge Imagination, June 8 2004
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
No dummy is our Harold. He is an inventive little fellow who devises his own path, invents his own moon to light his way, makes a boat when he finds himself enveloped in a purple sea, creates pies when he is hungry, and so on until he is tired. Thanks to cleverly leaving behind special images as pointers to guide his way, he makes it back home in one piece and with lots of exciting stories to tell.
This is such a delightful book for children and one of the reasons is that it can be used interactively. Read the story with your kids then give them some crayons and a huge sheet of paper and let them loose to design and explore their own magical worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this story, June 13 2013
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite children's books. Ambitious and creative Harold takes you on an adventure by drawing new places and things to see. A very cute story that's great for bedtime or anytime!

5.0 out of 5 stars <3, June 4 2013
My favourite as a kid

I'm not going to write a novel about the products I buy, if they suck ill let people know but otherwise you get a 2-3 word review then this message

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this book!, Jan. 5 2013
We have 3 kids and they all love this book! So cool, how a crayon can create such an adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars very imaginative, Dec 7 2012
Very cute story with alot of imagination. Originally bought this for my five year old niece but once I got it, I realized that it was better for a younger child.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, Aug. 21 2003
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
I LOVE this book! It is soooooo cute! Harold draws everything! I really like the policeman! And the hot air balloon! And how he drew a boat to keep himself from sinking in the sea he drew! The whole book is just soooooo cute! I absolutely love it! You should but it NOW if you don't already have it! I LOVE crayons too! ... My favorite color crayon is Tickle me Pink! And I really like Granny Smith Apple Green too! The names are just so much fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up from My 2-year-old!, July 28 2003
J. Mathy "jmathy" (Danbury, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
I worried this might be too meaty for my 2-year-old, but he adores this story. It's at once simple and engaging -- and (I believe) great fodder for the imagination. It's almost epic compared to other children's books -- so take a pass if you're looking for a quick read before bedtime! But if you want a book you can linger over with your child -- this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GENUINE CLASSIC ALL AGES LOVE, Aug. 17 2000
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
This is a story I loved when I was a child. It is a gently written, wonderfully crafted fantasy about how a child takes creative control of his world with a single purple crayon. Harold takes his readers on many a literary pleasure jaunt with his crayon and one gets vicarious pleasure in seeing how Harold gets out of jams with a few swift strokes of that crayon! It is very funny and something all ages will love.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute tribute to unfettered imagination, July 22 2000
Robert James (Culver City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
"Harold and the Purple Crayon" was one of my favorite books as a child, and I bought a copy the day I found out my wife was pregnant. I've tried a few times to interest my daughter in the book, but it was a bit too sophisticated for a 3-month old! Now that my daughter is three years old, she just pulled out this book from her shelf and asked me to read it to her. She was ready for it, and the magic worked! The story of Harold and his purple crayon drawing anything he can think of is still every bit as entrancing to her as it was to me thirty years ago. In story structure, it's very much like Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are," but without the rebelliousness of Max: like Max, Harold goes on an adventure into his imaginary world, and then must find his way home. In short, an excellent classic, deserving of new generations of readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it to your child, Dec 28 2006
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
My son fell in love with this book. It showed him that all he needs is his life is the imagination to have an adventure. It is a book that is both calming and empowering to kids. It allows them to dream and imagine. It is a classic that certainly deserves your consideration. Another such volume is "Cats are Rascals". Make them available to your children.

ARRAY(0xbbb7cc9c)

Harold and the Purple Crayon
Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson (Paperback - May 20 1981)
CDN$ 7.99 CDN$ 7.59