5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute tribute to unfettered imagination
"Harold and the Purple Crayon" was one of my favorite books as a child, and I bought a copy the day I found out my wife was pregnant. I've tried a few times to interest my daughter in the book, but it was a bit too sophisticated for a 3-month old! Now that my daughter is three years old, she just pulled out this book from her shelf and asked me to read it to...
Published on July 22 2000 by Robert James

3.0 out of 5 stars Not our favorite
Although this is a well known, classic children's book, my girls (3&6) are not not very interested. The drawings are simple and not very colorful. The idea that Harold draws things that become real is cool, but the story is not dynamically expressed. This book is a bit too sublime for my kids.
Published on Jan. 4 2003 by Joan C. Frank

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is great !, Aug. 24 1998
By A Customer
I am an 18 yr. old who has been a fan of this book ever since I was small. In fact, just last year I bought the book and it will accompany me during my first year of college. My imagination is big and so I think that is why I love this book. I read it to my small cousins all the time. GREAT book :O)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not our favorite, Jan. 4 2003
Joan C. Frank (Silver Spring, MD USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A DELIGHTFUL BOOK!, Nov. 21 2001
Sandra D. Peters "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
Once read it, you will never forget "Harold and the Purple Crayon." As a parent and one who has studied psychology, what I liked most about the book is the fact it teaches children to pursue their creative thoughts and talents. By nature, children are usually quite creative. As they grow older, many children retain their creativity but, unfortunately, a good number sometimes suppress their creativity out of fear of what others may think. Harold really does not care what anyone thinks, he just goes on doing what it is he enjoys doing - making good use of his purple crayon. He is creative, but also extremely resourceful, creating a pie when he is hungry and drawing a boat when the water is becomes too deep. Children will love the story and are sure to remember it for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story for younger children., March 3 2002
David J. Gannon (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I think that younger kids love this story so much because it's a book that operates the way they do-vivid but simple ideas put forth in a more or less stream of consciousness style that mirrors the very young child's thinking pattern. Harold's adventure is one where one things move together quickly in a not necessarily logical, but highly imaginative sequence.
Also, Harold is the one in control-an aspect that I think also really appeals to kids. Everything in the story appears solely by virtue of Harold employing his imagination to his surrounding. Isn't that essentially that a 4 years olds play pattern is most of the time?
That it is a sweet and fun tale only adds to the enjoyment.
A great book that your kids will have you reading to them over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get out that crayon and take a trip!, Nov. 21 2001
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
Do books influence kids? Well, this one influenced me. First of all, the author went to the same college as my dad--Cooper Union. This is a very history education institution in New York that specializes in art, architecture and engineering. You can see some of the influence in Mr. Johnson's almost blueprint-style stories.
Johnson was actually a cartoonist and married to an author of children's books. Maurice Sendak, the very reknown author of children's literature spent time collaborating and learning from Johnson.
The idea of creating a world with a purple crayon is utterly compelling. The 40's and 50's retro style of the drawing is irresistible. Share this with someone you love and take a walk in the moonlight together. Don't forget the crayon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories to read again and again, Sept. 7 2003
Danny (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I'm now 38 years old, I read a lot as a child and my "Harold and the Purple Crayon" books were read again and again for many years. I was delighted to find this book with all of Crockett Johnson's "Harold and the Purple Crayon" stories in them because I could introduce my nephew and niece to a character and stories I loved. My nephew dove right into the book when I gave it to him and told him how much I loved the same stories when I was his age. Parents, I strongly recommend this book because it's the original stories all in one book, the pictures are simple and engaging, the writing isn't overly complex or simplified, so it helps build reading/spelling skills and vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for children from 2-6, Sept. 18 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
Our family loves Harold and the Purple Crayon as well as all the books in the Harold series. Harold is the original Charlie Brown with his cute round head. With his crayon, he can meet any challenge, climb any mountain, do battle with any witch. Kids see Harold as quite the adventurer as he draws himself to faraway places but they also see the trouble he can draw himself. into as well. But in the end, Harold usually draws himself home, safe and snuggled under the covers. The book has a wonderful rhythm to it that appeals to kids. It is a book that is both calming and empowering to kids, it allows them to dream and imagine. A classic that deserves more notice.

5.0 out of 5 stars My brother and I share great memories of this little book., March 7 1998
I recently ran into the paperback version of this book and sent a copy to my brother - Harold - to read to his kids. I remembered reading it when we were kids. When he received it in the mail, he called to thank me and shared something very special. Harold is dyslexic and recalls that this book was one of the few he could read and relate to as a child. He is an electrical contractor and to this day, he ONLY uses a purple crayon on his jobs to mark electrical outlets and boxes. So - if your ever in Boulder,Co. and you happen to see a big blonde guy on a construction sight drawing outlets in purple - Well - that's Harold and his purple crayon.

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favorite!, Sept. 8 2000
I loved to read and be read to as a child (and still do to this day), and Harold and the Purple Crayon has always been my favorite children's story. Now that I'm in college, my battered, well-loved copy of the book still has a special place on my shelf. Harold was my role model. He could do anything, solve any problem. He made mistakes, but he could figure out how to fix them. And at the end of the day, Harold went to bed, just like I did. It is imaginative and fun, and it always made me feel like I could do anything. If you have children, get this book for them. They'll be sure to love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise! This is imagination!, Jan. 20 2002
Karen Miller (Sierra Madre, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Paperback)
I was surprised when this book arrived with a cache of other colorful books I ordered for bedtime reading to my 2-year-old. Buying it on the basis of online recommendations, I hadn't recognized it as the story that had captivated me as a child. On sight, I hastily judged it too advanced for my daughter and stowed it away. (No color illustrations! So many pages!) Some bedtimes are more exasperating then others, and when I finally reached for Harold, my daughter lapsed into total absorption and delight. Needless to say, Harold has joined the family. Kids are never too young to cultivate imagination.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Harold and the Purple Crayon
Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson (Paperback - May 20 1981)
CDN$ 7.99 CDN$ 7.59