5.0 out of 5 stars Sendak at his best
Published 11 months ago by Storywraps

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, but not a 5 star book...
I purchased this book for my daughter because I had read so many rave reviews from various sources about it. The story is creative but didn't live up to my expectations and didn't seem to do much for my daughter either. Many people seem to really love it though.
Published on July 5 2001 by Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Sendak at his best, Aug. 22 2013
Storywraps "Marilyn" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
Mickey, who is in bed, hears a commotion downstairs and gets up to shout "be quiet down there." He proceeds to fall out of his bed, out of his pajamas, floats past his sleeping parents, and right into the midst of the night kitchen where a lot of bustling is going on. He encounters three chef's (with Hilter- mustaches) busily cooking up a cake for morning. They pour Mickey right into their cake batter and start stirring him in. They pour him into a cake pan and put him in the oven to cook, but luckily Mickey escapes and falls right into the bread dough which is rising. He manages to create a bread-dough plane and and flies up and up to a huge bottle of milk. He grabs the bakers some milk for their cake creation. Mickey happily pours the much needed milk into the batter which satisfies the bakers. As his dream fast forwards, Mickey finds himself waking up in his own bed, in the morning, "cakefree and dried." We learn "that's why, thanks to Mickey, we have cake every morning."

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, June 16 2013
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
Fantastic drawings...Fun story. I had this book as a child and now my daughter and I enjoy it together! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my son's favorite book., April 5 2013
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
I am buying it for his 44th birthday....He will be surprised. I loved readng it to him.

The drawings and story are fun and very memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST KIDS BOOKS EVER! AWESOME AUTHOR/ILLUSTRATOR, April 16 2006
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Paperback)
This book has survived the test of time and is one of the favorites of my grandchildren and great grandchildren.
A highly unique concept of a boy who has a 'dream' experience in the night kitchen of a baker! Yummy dessert delights as well as a feast for the eyes ... the illustrations are out of this world ... and a feast for the ears ... the chantable text is delightful! Highly recommended for kids of all ages.
Reviewer: Betty Dravis, author of TOONIES INVADE SILICON VALLEY

5.0 out of 5 stars we bake cake! and nothing's the matter!, July 11 2004
Alice C. Teeple (State College, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
Mickey is a fantastic throwback to the lovely lovely adventures of Little Nemo In Slumberland, an illustrated comic in American newspapers during the early 20th century. Like Little Nemo, Mickey's adventures drift from panel to panel in a dreamlike trance. The cooks who look like Oliver Hardy always struck me as the best part of the book; as well as Mickey floating in the giant bottle of milk as his little dough plane disintegrates.
Why do people find this book controversial? They are the same people who fear and have stifled the powers of their own imaginations. We have all had strange dreams like this, and Sendak has beautifully captured those sleepy moments. Why are they bothered by Mickey's state of undress? Who cares?

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book!!, July 7 2004
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
My mother read this book to my sisters and I many times when we were children. I still love it! I have bought it for all of my friends who have children. Lesser known than "Where the Wild Things Are", but just as wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat story and great illustrations, June 22 2004
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my yet to be born child because my husband and I love cooking and we liked "Where the Wild Things Are". I really liked the story and the illustrations are wonderful.
It was noted in the other reviews, but I will mention it here as well that in select frames, Mickey is naked and does have a penis. If anyone has any concerns about this with reading it to their children they should probably find a different book.

5.0 out of 5 stars In The Night Kitchen, March 11 2004
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
It continues to amaze me how much of my childhood I can't remember. All the lesson I've learned from my parents were taking in, whether I truly listened was a different issue entirely. So when I recently mentioned to them that I remember this book. They were surpirsed. They joked how they wish other things they had read or said to me would of stuck as well. I'm 32 now, and what I do remember most about my childhood is a full of books. In The Night Kitchen - is one of those. I remember loving it so much back then that I asked if they still had it. Surprised and grateful - the book remains in our family. I'm looking forward to reading it again. In that instant I become the child in the backseat. "Are we there yet..."

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, Feb. 4 2004
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
I remember reading this book as a child and I have to say that I was neither disturbed by the nudity nor frightened by anything in the book. we must remember that Sendak is writing for children and as much as we hate to admit it adults often have no idea what will or will not frighten a child, at the same time each child is very different and what may frighten one child may not affect another in the least. From what I can tell children at a young age do not think being naked is a bad thing and the idea of playing in cake batter is a pleasent idea.
When it was read to me I was not at all embarrassed that Micky was naked in fact to me that was just part of the fun.
A children's story should be written for the audience and I think that Sendak possesses an incredible talent for telling the stories that children will love. And the really important part after all is that the child loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this book, Jan. 24 2004
This review is from: In The Night Kitchen (Hardcover)
My son is twenty now, but I can still recite this book because I read it to him so many times when he was small. He still loves this this book and buys it for mothers-to-be and our young cousins.

In The Night Kitchen
In The Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak (Paperback - Jan. 25 1996)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54