5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't get better than this...
I love everything Francesca Lia Block has written (except maybe The Hanged Man), but this one has to be my favorite. I could read it forever. Aboslutely heartbreaking and soul-wrenching. Dirk and Duck were my favorites in the Weetzie Bat series, and this was the story I always wanted to hear, exactly the way and wanted to hear it.
Published on March 29 2003 by Emma

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot...if only the writing were better.
Published on June 9 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot...if only the writing were better., June 9 2003
By A Customer
The book is about a boy coming to terms with the fact that he is gay. Or rather, that he wishes the world could come to terms with this. Fair enough. But is it too much to ask that a book be grammatically correct and that syntax and diction make sense? Yes, I can understand that dealing with a "different" sexual orientation in a world that is mostly intolerant and abusive is hard, and that there are worse sins than choppy incoherent sentences. And please do both of us (you and me) a favor and do not accuse me of being homophobic, because I am not. Trust me, I am no more merciful than this with heterosexual protagonists.
There are just plain too many teenager-aimed books nowadays that have this sort of choppy, half-conscious, half-delirious, not quite stream of consciousness style (if you can call it that) of writing. It's been done so often, starting from years ago, that it is no longer shocking, surprising, dynamic, breathtaking, etc. It's just bad writing. I'll have to disagree with any of the reviews on this page that say that Block's writing is beautiful imagery or prose, etc. It's not.
There are a great many coming-of-age books that deal with people and sexuality that actually have intelligence and heart, and still manage to have good grammar and sentences that flow logically from one to the next. Read one of those instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't get better than this..., March 29 2003
Emma (Sebastopol, CA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, by far one of her most touching, April 25 2002
By A Customer
this is by far my favorite FLB book, i think she captures the feelings of isolation and loneliness that comes with coming out and coming to terms with homosexuality so well and in her beautiful poetic prose style. Great book to read when your going through a hard time and want to know that love and acceptance is out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sort-of weird... sort-of interesting...., June 25 2001
Cassy (Columbia, Missouri) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baby Be-Bop (Paperback)
I thought this book was going to be a love story... it's not! I guess that kind of disappointed me. The first half is about Dirk growing up, some of it's really sad, it made me cry. The second half of the book, where "ghosts of Dirk's ancestors, including the mother and father he never knew, share tales of his past, present, and future through magical images, setting him free to know that true love in any form is right" is really confusing. The characters have a lot of hallucinations which I found to be really weird, and the simple message is kind-of hard to grasp through the writing. The 12 and up age recommendation for the book is crazy, I would say at least ages 15 and up. The writing is filled with flowery descriptions, but at the same time I feel like she could have showed more instead of telling the story. And I feel like the story isn't finished.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Curious Venture, June 6 2001
This review is from: Baby Be-Bop (Paperback)
In Block's latest venture, she explores the very core of human sexuality through the story of the embracable Dirk. His stunning pride and unshatterable spirit propel him through his confrontation of his homosexual self. Dirk is an amazing character and captures the reader's heart immeadiatly. His heartbreaking loss of his love interest, Pup, his turn to a "punk" nature and his suicide attempt guide the audience through a startlingly beautiful sureal journey as Dirk's ancestors come to his aid to help him accept who he is. The frightening veins of fantasy collide with stark (in)humanity through his confrontations with homophobics, hate and the neo-nazi. This is possibly Block's most triumphant work, encasing skillful characterization artfully blended with a lightspeed plot. For any fanatics of the highly reccommended Baby Be Bop, try Flemming's Mind's Eye.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Curious Venture, June 6 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetic, realistic, and true., May 5 2001
M. FUSCO "yawnmower" (NEW YORK, NY) - See all my reviews
This is the fifth book of the 'Weetzie Bat' stories by Ms. Block. It is really a prequel to the first book, and tells the story of Weetzie's best friend, Dirk. He knows he is 'different' (why is that so feared?) because he likes boys, and he doesn't want to be afraid. He wants to be strong and find someone who is strong, too. But he is unsure of himself. He falls in love with Pup and they are inseparable. They do daring things to show off how brave they are, but Pup is ultimately a coward and, though he loves Dirk, he cannot handle all that involves in such a hate-filled society. Dirk is alone, and his oddysey of discovery and cleansing really begins when he stands up to, and is beaten by, some swastika-wearing skinheads. In his delirium, Dirk meets his dead father, mother, and great-grandmother and they tell their stories to each other. The sharing is healing to them all. We love Dirk for his beauty and heart, and he can love who he is without fear. Duck Drake, who we have met in book one, is looking at the same sky, dreaming of meeting Dirk. This little book is a treasure. Full of poetry and light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Fairy Tale, Oct. 1 1999
This review is from: Baby Be-Bop (Paperback)
I read the entire collection of Weezie Bat Books (under the volume title of Dangerous Angels) and I couldn't put it down. Block finds a way to deal with true human emotion in such an imaginative and creative way that it becomes almost sureal. She portrays the thoughts and ideas in a non threatening, almost fairytail like way. Yet still, she draws emotion and feeling and captivates her readers. And in the process, teaches them something about themselves. I hope anyone who is afraid to pick up a young adult book and truly enjoy it will like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story With Whimsical Writing~~~, Nov. 25 1998
This review is from: Baby Be-Bop (Paperback)
This book is one jiven' story with a bunch of other stories in it to reveal secrets and emotions of the wonderfully thought out characters. I can see the main character as one who has to go through alot of misery to accept the truth about himself. The writing, in many parts was kind of fantastical but realistic at the same time so it made for a book with great variety. You want to find out if my ideas a right? Find out for yourself and read this cool book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS BOOK, June 2 1998
This review is from: Baby Be-Bop (Paperback)
I LOVE everything Block has ever written. She is my idol. I read her books over and over because there is nothing else like them (If you know od anything e-mail me at: k_jurs@hotmail.com) When I grow up I want to make movies that are exactly like the books and I wouldn't change a thing. My favorite is Weetzie bat just because it is so classic but I also really like Cheroke Bat and the goat guys!

Baby Be-Bop
Baby Be-Bop by Francesca Lia Block (Paperback - May 1 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01