4.0 out of 5 stars Neat novel about eco-terrorism...
Published 13 months ago by Pat the cat

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a lesson on global warming
Published on Oct. 26 2007 by Neil Lane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat novel about eco-terrorism..., March 10 2013
Pat the cat - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Yes, it comes across as a little preachy but, you've got to admire the amount of research and documentation that the author completed to write this story. A few things bothered me but, overall, it was an intriguing story that made you think (a lot) and entertained you at the same time. I've always been a little skeptical about some of the causes promoted by the environmental movement and, I've recently become very annoyed by the media that seems to delight itself in exaggerating and over-reporting every weather hick up. So, I was in a receptive frame of mind for a novel aimed at eco-terrorism. It's a very thoughtful story and, once explained, even the title will make you reflect on your own environmental opinions. That said, I wish that the author had spent a little more time in developing the crises so that the good guys' abilities to overcome just about every possible problem would be a little more believable. Also, the love interests of the Evans character are kind of silly. No matter, I give this book 4 stars out of 5 (very good and intelligent!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read that gives you something to think about.., Dec 30 2004
This review is from: State Of Fear (Hardcover)
First off, this book is typical Crichton, a fun thriller, with good characters and great pacing. It seems most of reviewers of this book agree on that. There is a controversy concerning the science and Mr. Crichton's stance on the subject of global warming. I am not sure myself on this issue, but the author does give the reader plenty to think about. For me personally I see both sides, how can man not be having an effect on the enviornment including weather? but how can we even pretend to know what this effect will be? We can't even predict next weeks weather. I also know that over the last 500,000 thousand years or so the earth has had cyclical periods of warmer and colder weather (ever hear of the ice age? in fact some theories suggest we are still in the ice age just a warmer interglacial period). How are we to be able to predict just what the effect of man will be? when I was a kid a remember the fear was that the earth was heading into the next ice age? I am not saying that we shouldn't study the forces that effect climate, but I think a person has to try and think logically about all this and try and learn from all sources. Enjoy this book, and open your mind to the issues. I also recomend "A TOURIST IN THE YUCATAN" cool arceological thriller!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Provocative and InformativeThriller about Avoiding Fear, July 15 2006
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This book reminded me very much of Moby Dick with its heavy emphasis on both an adventure story and sharing detailed information. Those who prefer one aspect or the other will probably find themselves flipping quickly through the pages that emphasize the other aspect.

Popular opinions are almost always wrong. That's the theme of this book. The point is made in the context of describing how global warming, as perceived by the public and media, is different from what scientists are describing. Dr. Crichton argues through his story that we can waste a lot of time and resources on popular delusions, and we need to get our facts right. His appendix I on the dangers of politicized science is something everyone should read. The eugenics example is a chilling one.

The adventure story itself is a Frederick Forsyth/Clive Cussler-type thriller written from the perspective of a young lawyer who tags along with a James Bond-like character who single-handedly saves the day along with his trusty, almost silent, sidekick. They are about as good a source for scintillating conversation as the Lone Ranger and Tonto. Instead of greedy multinationals or rich megalomaniacs being at fault, this story looks at how lawyers and rabid environmentalists can get carried away.

In typical Michael Crichton fashion, the story develops around little-known scientific facts about how humans can influence the environment. So if you wanted to know more about how giant ice bergs, tsunamis and flash floods can be created, this is your book. At the same time, there are nice subplots around how to track terrorists via the Internet and an obscure way to assassinate people.

I found myself drawn to both the adventure story and the global warming information. It's a nice combination for the reader who likes a little substance along with their thrillers. Even I, though, thought the global warming was overdone. The characters needed a lot of work to become interesting, rather than just being devices to drive the plot along. I graded the book down accordingly.

I kept thinking as I read this book that I would like to read a book like this by Dr. Crichton that looks at people manufacturing domestic terrorism for political gain. Perhaps that will be his next subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, June 26 2005
Carl (Richmond, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: State Of Fear (Hardcover)
I have been a Michael Crichton fan for years. He is a writer whose stories should be taken seriously. They are very insightful. In this fascinating page turner, the author makes his readers to learn interesting things about their world, in a the subject matter whose influence nobody can avoid.
"State of Fear" revolves around environmental extremists with an agenda that threatens to destabilize the status quo and a small group dedicated to unravel a plot. The characters are succinctly drawn to give the story the credibility that it deserves. Through the person of the young protagonist, Peter Evans, Crichton presented this story of global warming perfectly.
The discussions about global warming and the pitfalls of media-geared scientific investigations are succinctly exposed. Crichton's case is strong. This is a thriller that is steeped in reason with a message for the environment. I couldn't help but recall the nature of the anxiety it generated to those from TRIPLE AGENT DOUBLE CROSS,GOD'S POLITICS, DISCIPLES OF FORTUNE And Crichton concludes it with his by declaring his position and a footnote to links to this issue. The book has a lot of integrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Crichton book, April 10 2007
Author Michael Crichton has made his mark dealing with the `what-if' scenarios of science. State of Fear is different.

This is a book about political science, and the politicization of science. While the specific issue is climate change, the more general one is the power of media in shaping public opinion. Interestingly, the book shows that both the left and right manipulate media to sway public opinion. Media are portrayed as unwitting dupes of interest groups, politicians, and public relations specialists, because of mindless parroting of press releases from seemingly reputable organizations and experts.

Through his protagonist, Crichton challenges the conventional media wisdom of human influence on climate change. While he may or may not agree with the position of any of the book's characters, Crichton cautions us all to read, watch and listen with a critical mind, because politicized science is dangerous.

Indeed, Crichton , in a speech at California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, January 17, 2003, likened the current climate change juggernaut as pseudo science, similar to the eugenics movement, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence SETI, and a nuclear winter.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a lesson on global warming, Oct. 26 2007
Neil Lane "book aficionado" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have read almost every book by Michael Crichton and with every new release I find the book reads less like a thrilling novel and more like an essay on the authors beliefs and theories. This is no exception. I have done many studies on global warming (in my science degree) and found much of the dialogue about the subject interesting in the book. However, I bought this book with the hope of reading an exciting adventure. Sure, there was exciting adventure, but for only half of the book. It was broken up by major discussions on scientific topics. This seriously affected the pacing. Most Michael Crichton books have taken me less than 24 hours to read. This one took me over a week. Enough said.

3.0 out of 5 stars This Is Fiction??? How Come There Are Footnotes On Every Page, Nov. 19 2006
First of all I would like to say that this review is actually two and a half stars not three. Second thing I would like to mention is that there is not actually a footnote on every page but this book is not your typical straight forward fiction novel. Of course Critchton with his mix of science and fiction, is not expected to write a straight forward novel but this seems to be more science than literature.

The book's main plot is an intelligence agent, a Nepalese guy, a lawyer, and philantropist's assistant flying all over the world trying to stop a dangerous radical environmental group from causing natural disasters. With these disasters the radicals hope to draw attention to global warming. Admittedly there is some really exciting parts but this excitment smothered by the problems: a total unbelievable plot, a complete lack of character development.

What makes this book remotely interesting is Critchton's message. Thourought the novel he delivers the idea of global warming a kick in the teeth and also critizes traditional environmentalism. It has certainly made me double back on my original views on global warming and conservation. However how he goes about expressing his views is really dumb. He uses the characters to express the views like the Da Vinci Code but it makes the plot tedious and is so thinnly veiled the book may as well be an essay (especially because every tenth page is punctuated with a footnote or a graph). The spot where he expresses his views the best are at the back of the book in the two appendixes. Here he explains the book's themes and why politicized science is bad.

Ultimately he should have just wrote an essay or a report instead of publishing this lame excuse for a book if he wanted to express his views on global warming.

1.0 out of 5 stars More Media Manipulation???, Jan. 2 2006
Marie Bilodeau (Gatineau, Quebec) - See all my reviews
Most previous reviews have covered all complaints I have with the book (the fact that it's supposed to be fiction, and not thinly veiled non-fiction, and it's supposed to be good fiction, as per old style Michael Crichton (come on, the nanites, were cool!) Oh, and whatever happened to character development?)
My main question to all the "thought provoking, media manipulation is so well shown" reviews, is: will you actually follow Crichton's advice and do your own research, or decide his word is law. Because if the really boring political debates is the only reason you love this book, and you've just decided that his many, many footnotes prove his gospel, than you're both praising and insulting Michael Crichton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thriller!, May 4 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: State Of Fear (Hardcover)
Very entertaining. The author put in lots of technical information to make it a pure Michael Crichton just the way I like it. I find this one even better than his previous book "Prey" which I also liked.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit too technical, March 17 2005
Susie Sharon (Orleans, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: State Of Fear (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book and I really liked the characters. But I thought the technical side, with all the information about global warming and the environment was a bit much. It was way too in-depth. The story is weighted down by it and things would have been faster and smoother without all the graphics and charts. The information IS interesting and I have read similar claims as made in the book in journals and magazines yet, I could have done without it in the NOVEL. Because it is a novel. And it reads like a university manual in some places. Other then that, I really enjoyed the book, much more then the last Crichton I read. And I thought the tsunami story was a bit spooky, considering this book came out in early December, just before the tragedy in Asia. But all in all, I would recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb0010150)

State Of Fear
State Of Fear by Michael Crichton (Hardcover - Nov. 23 2004)
CDN$ 36.95 CDN$ 23.28