5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - worth twice the price
Published on Aug. 26 2002 by Arno E Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Elementary, dear Watson.
The basics of boat wiring were covered. Probably sufficient for small vessel with a limited variety of electronic devices. It would have been helpful to have description and sources of a variety of connecting hardware.
Published 7 months ago by George J. Pettyan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - worth twice the price, Aug. 26 2002
Arno E Jones (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
I've been wiring cars and motorcycles for 30 years. I also work with microcontrollers and supporting circuity and electronics in general. Somebody suggested that I get into boat electrics and maybe I could help support my cruising kitty (when the time comes) by working on other peoples sailboats. It seemed like a good idea, so I set out learning what I could and to gain some experience. The first thing I did was to buy every book I could lay my hands on on boat wiring and read them from cover to cover. Now that I've wired and repaired a few sailboats I realized that out of all the books I have, only two were refered to continuously while the rest have collected dust. This book is one of them.
First of all, it is a very easy book to read. There is not a wasted word in the whole book. All concepts are concise and easily understood. When you need a diagram to grok a concept, it is there. You can sit down and read this book like a novel it's written so well.
Second, it leaves no assumptions. Sure, I'd like to think I know all things electrical, but I don't. Sailboat electrics is as different from automotive electrics as cake is from pie. I learned about the difference between marine and automotive batteries. I learned about corrosion and zincs. I picked up the concept of sailboat characteristics in a lightning strike. These are the categories that are not covered in automotive books or even in general Electrical Engineering courses.
I think this book should be every boaters first choice in sailboat electrics. I recommend it to everyone who has an interest. If you feel you need even more detail, or equipment-specific knowledge, you can always pick up (my 2nd must-have book choice): Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems.
Between the two, you will have on hand a reference to everything you will need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, July 3 2000
Gerald Siu (Santa Monica, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
An outstanding book. I myself knew absolutely nothing about electricity when I first bought this book - although obviously it didn't make me an expert, it nonetheless taught me what I needed to know to start modifying my boat's electrical systems. I admit that I am biased - Don Casey is one of my favorite sailing authors - but if you are a novice and need to upgrade your boat's electrics, this is the book to get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic book on sailboat electronics, Jan. 10 2000
John J. Munzel (Riverhead, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
Casey takes one from simple theory through simple wiring (with clear SKETCHES) so that the novice who has previously resisted learning anything about sailboat electronics gets the idea on how things should be wired. Guides for wire sizes and electronic flow are also helpful. For the novice, this is a fine choice to learn and familiarize onesself with simple marine electronics.

5.0 out of 5 stars elegant, June 28 2000
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
I have a twenty-five boat with modest electrical needs. This book gave me all the foundational material I needed to start and finish my project but more importantly presented the material in a very readable even entertaining fasion while remaining efficient. Great diagrams, great book, great sailing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Elementary, dear Watson., May 16 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Sailboat Electrics Simplified, July 29 2012
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
This book is very well organized and easy to follow for someone unfamiliar with electrical systems, and particularly for a boat.
Importantly to me, it also covers all the areas that are potentially involved in electrical power on a boat including solar power sources and storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 1 2014
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
one of the best 12 volt diagnostic tools available. very well written and acurate

5.0 out of 5 stars addressing wrong rating, Oct. 14 2011
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
Received book and am trying to give a good rating to the company as they were fast at addressing my problem of late delivery . I am very pleased with the book and the quick way my inquiries were taken care of. Thankyou Diane Eichel

2.0 out of 5 stars Pour les novices, Nov. 20 2010
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
Si vous avez la moindre expérience en électricité CC vous n'y apprendrez rien de nouveau. L'électricité en courant continu (CC) y est expliqué de belle façon, facile à comprendre pour les non initiés. Livre utile si on y connait rien, mais absolument rien.

Sailboat Electrics Simplified
Sailboat Electrics Simplified by Don Casey (Hardcover - April 21 1999)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 15.64