1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated this book all throughout the semester, Aug. 14 2009
A. Ng "AN" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Social Psychology, Third Canadian Edition (Hardcover)
This is the first time that I'm writing a review and I just had to because this was my object of hate throughout my social psychology class (I'm a Psyc major and I got an A- in the class, so no, I'm not bitter :P)

The authors are unorganized and unclear in their explanations of theory and phenomenon. I was particularly annoyed at their chapter on Aggression -- there was no psychological theory at all. The chapter was just a compilation of statistical findings on how tv and aggression are correlated in today's youth. I only read the book merely because its material was to be tested on the exams.

Another point of annoyance is their attempt at writing dramatically in short and concise sentences (especially when some things just ARE obvious in social psyc) Many times I would bang my forehead against the book because of this.

I'm a decent reader and I'm not the only one that has this opinion; I've asked others in the same class using this same textbook and they all agreed that even the most basic of theories (or even paragraph) had to be re-read to get out some kind of logical argument.

A typical paragraph outline would be something like this,

"Theory A. It isn't. [citation]. But what did we say before? Theory B? [citation]. It isn't that either. [citation].
Well the answer is....it DEPENDS!"

In short, the writing is ineffective, illogical and annoying to read. Social psychology readings should be fun or perhaps fascinating -- this definitely was neither.

Social Psychology, Third Canadian Edition
Social Psychology, Third Canadian Edition by Steven Spencer (Hardcover - April 5 2006)
CDN$ 128.95 CDN$ 120.29