5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Euro-Trash!, Feb. 18 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Understanding the Euro: The Clear and Concise Guide to the New Trans-European Currency (Hardcover)
Three words describe Chabot's book: clear, concise and informative. It's a dog eat dog world for my small business and I needed quick answers to my Euro questions. "Understanding the Euro" is ideal if you need to get up to speed fast but can't just call a buddy at the European Central Bank. Before finding Chabot's book, I purchased quite a few expensive executive summaries that soon made their way to the recycle bin. Chabot's book, on the other hand, was a quick read filled with concrete answers in plain English. It gave me a quick introduction to the politics surrounding the currency and explained seemingly complex economic issues using easy to understand charts. My accountant and I both liked the Q&A format for quick reference to our more practical questions. I liked the book so much that I bought copies for everyone on my team preparing our Portugal project launch. The project VP (now nicknamed "Mr. Eurotrash") now loves to pepper his cocktail party conversations with Euro-speak a la Chabot.
In short, Chabot's book is one stop shopping for my staff's Euro questions so don't bother wasting your time and money on other books. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Q&A format made it reader-friendly. A great teacher., Jan. 5 1999
By A Customer
I read this book because I knew almost nothing about the Euro but needed to get informed quickly. It was perfect for the job. The author never resorted to using thick jargon, and by using a Q&A format, he pulled me along and kept me interested throughout almost all of it. I skipped ahead when he started answering some specific banking and finance questions, but I'm glad to know that info is there if I am ever needing it. This is the only book on the market that I find which simply explained what the Euro is about, and it was well worth it. I also am appreciating the way it explains the background of European politics and history that led to the creation of the new currency. Perhaps I would have liked more information on some of the unsung visionaries behind the Euro, such as Robert Bosch, but the book never promised me such details. It seeks to teach a complicated subject quickly and concisely, and it does exactly that. I have already lent this book, roadmap, and teacher, so to speak, to an interested co-worker, and I recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast and easy Euro primer, Oct. 2 2000
Ben Duchek (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this baby as the background for an advanced level international econ paper on the fluctuations of the Euro, and it is wicked good. It hands out the basic knowledge like the Rams hand out touchdown balls, and even though it was written before the Euro's current problems, you can easily piece together the reasons behind the malaise.
The only caveat is that if you're really into the mathematical and graphical side of economics -- this puppy ain't for you. If you look at the overload of math that Krugman's International Economics textbook gives you, this pales in comparison. I wish it had more of that, if only so that on those nights I can't sleep, I have one more resource to use. But that's what I have my girlfriend's stories for.
Anyway, go buy it. It's good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect guide for beginners and professionals alike., Jan. 5 1999
By A Customer
This was just the book I needed to get up to speed on the Euro. Written in a lively, informative style, it gave all the background info and nuts-and-bolts workings of the new currency. I plan to keep it by my desk to answer questions over the next few years before the conversion process is complete. Even if you studied Economics in college, you'll find yourself learning a great deal through this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to learn about the Euro, this is the book to get, Aug. 23 1999
By A Customer
I have read 2 other books about the Euro and this one is by far the best. It offers an unbiased view of the Euro unlike most other books. It is very easy to read, informative, well organized... I could go on and on. If you want to learn about the Euro if you are a student or businessman, get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, non-national centric, easy to read, May 7 1999
By A Customer
This is an excellent introductory book. It is very easy to read and is very concise. It is written from a general rather than a particualar nationalist view as are several other books on the EURO. It also has a large listing of web sites where other interesting information is available.

Used & New from: CDN$ 0.07