5.0 out of 5 stars A very good handy start to PHP; get it to learn.
As many of us have experienced, buying computer books is not necessarily easy. Sometimes you get books that are too hard, or too easy, and you have no patience to read though lots of stuff before getting down to coding (after all, we know basic programming right? just need to learn syntax!). This got me going pretty quickly. You also need to get the online PHP...
Published on March 4 2000 by ATKW

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Primer
I've looked at a bunch of PHP books and this one is a good variable/basic primer. I was a bit daunted by the length of the Wrox book so I picked this one up to quickly learn the basics. I wasn't too disappointed.
Published on April 19 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars bad as hell, May 3 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: PHP3: Programming Browser-Based Applications with CDROM (Paperback)
hi!
this book is the worst one i ever worked with. the author uses advanced implementations in the first few examples, without explaination; some statements are just simply wrong (type error?) and the peak are wrong working examples. e.g. page 84/85 a flag variable is used to track a break in a loop; but the flag is defined after the break - it never gets executed and in the end the script does the whole opposite!
rating this book 4 or 5 stars means didn't read it!
cheers,
Dirk

1.0 out of 5 stars Irrelevant, July 18 2001
Christopher J. Abraham "Blogger" (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This is a PHP3 book and the current version is PHP4 -- so it behooves you to look for a good PHP4 book. I threw my copy away.

4.0 out of 5 stars not as bad as other reviewers make it sound, Aug. 22 2000
Robert Nagle "idiotprogrammer (idiotprogramme... (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This was the first book I bought on php. Medinets explains things very well, and it's clear he knows a lot of tricks for installing and making things work. The advantage of this book is its simplicity and attention to detail. Most of the steps worked in the installation, and he explains why he does things the way he does. The stuff on XML and SQL is pretty cursory, but it's enough to make you aware of how it works and how php could help with that kind of data.
He is clearly geared toward writing a tutorial and not a reference book. At one point, we're supposed to be establishing a mysql connection and after going through the steps, he says, "well, this doesn't work because..." (and then he explains what was missing). I appreciate this sort of method, but it might be confusing for some readers.
This book is to be a quick breezy read and intended for people who want to get their feet wet before getting seriously into the subject. I would mention that Professional PhP is an excellent book, much more comprehensive than this one and just as readable. Readers might seriously consider bypassing this book and reading the Wrox Professional PHp book. The Wrox book has excellent examples and gives switches and api's when trying to connect to other databases beside mysql.
In summary: an excellent straightforward introduction, but many readers might prefer to read a more comprehensive book like Professional PHP (by Wrox)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all-around book, Aug. 7 2000
I bought this book because I had never used Php or MySQL and wanted to learn them both. I wanted one book not two. I also wanted a good introduction as far as getting started with Php. This book served me well. It contains a brief explanation and easy-to-follow examples to a variety of topics. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn the basics of what Php can do. I would recommend more advanced readers to get a more specific book (i.e., Php or MySQL) based on the specific needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but ..., Aug. 2 2000
"shinymetal" (Bresso ( MILANO ) Italy) - See all my reviews
Very appropriate for who is already a good programmer, but lacks informations about the very basics of PHP. Excellent when describes objects, but not so good when speaks about data bases and typical applications. Anyway, I have spent well my money.

1.0 out of 5 stars just bad, April 26 2000
This book was a terrible waste of money. The author uses bad examples that are often wrong, plus he confuses one example with another. It is very hard to find what you are looking for because the index is not big enough and not cross-referenced properly. I hope this help anyone about to buy book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Primer, April 19 2000
By A Customer
However, there are several code typos (luckily, they can be found corrected on the author's web site). In addition, I found some of the comments about certain things vague. He talks about forms and cookies but fails to give a simple example to reinforce these subjects. His discussion on PHP objects left me with many questions. I also didn't like having PHP functions used without explaining them to me first (I had to hit php's web site to learn what they did). I suppose I could've used the function glossary in the back of the book, but that is pretty spartan (and consumes about 100 pages).
Overall, I recommend this book to seasoned programmers (a first-time programmer would be crushed) who want to know the basics of PHP quickly. Pick up the Wrox book as well for the details.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good examples,single functions not covered in depth, April 10 2000
cricampa (Parma, Italy) - See all my reviews
Examples, working method and ideas are well expressed. I found a little lack in the number of php functions enumeration and explication; this could reduce the enormous opportunities offered by this language. Some code-mistakes. I'd advise it unless to intermediate linux / pc users, to already really good programmers, or to people who dispose a lot of time to spend to learn php!

cricampa (Parma, Italy) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible book, April 9 2000
Michael T. Martin (Phoenix, Az) - See all my reviews
I was developing two websites using PHP3 and MySQL so I bought this book to help: wrong. It's a disaster. It's been three months since I bought the book and I've gotten zero information from it. Today I tried to find out how to get the date, the index doesn't have date or time listed. It doesn't help with putting data in, or getting data out of forms or databases. Save your money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3b4ec54)

PHP3: Programming Browser-Based Applications with CDROM
PHP3: Programming Browser-Based Applications with CDROM by David Medinets (Paperback - July 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.32