5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for the "serious novice"
Published on May 25 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be used as a supplement to his first book
William O'Neil wrote a book called "How To Make Money In Stocks". It is hard to read, but the knowledge it contains is priceless. To me it seems like "24 Essential Lessons..." is O'Neil's attempt to clear up any confusion his first book left and elaborate on the important areas. Which he does wonderfully.
I would not buy this book buy...
Published on Feb. 19 2000 by Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be used as a supplement to his first book, Feb. 19 2000
Scott (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 Essential Lessons for Investment Success: Learn the Most Important Investment Techniques from the Founder of Investor's Business Daily (Paperback)
I would not buy this book buy itself, but used as a supplement to his first book the combination will give you the knowledge to make money in the market.
And to those who say this book is a shamless plug for Investors Bussiness Daily, which it is at points, I say so what? First of all O'Neil has every right to promote his newspaper. Secondly, IBD is vastly superior to the WSJ for strictly investing. He offers a two week subscription for free to prove it.
If I sound like a big O'Neil supporter that's because I am. The man's system has made me a [fill in the blank] load of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful reference but.., May 21 2009
The number of plugs in this book to subscribe to O'Neil's Investors Business Daily becomes similar to the sensation of chewing on broken glass. I would recommend his other book instead- How to Make Money in Stocks, which wasn't as bad and has the same helpful information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for the "serious novice", May 25 2004
By A Customer
I thought it was a great book for someone like me who knew ablsolutely NOTHING about investing in the stock market. I found it while browsing in a book store. Although I bought several books on investing that day, this one is my favorite primarily because of it's readability. One of my favortite features is the bulleted summary at the end of each chapter. Now, I have a basic understanding about how to pick stocks which was exaclty what I was looking for. Although the book discusses fundamental and technical analysis of stocks, I did not find it overly technical.
The day after I completed the book, I went to my local library to take a look at IBD and 'lo and behold' it wasn't Greek to me. "24 Lessons" has opened my eyes to the world of trading stocks which to me was an invaluable lesson.
True, it's not a comprehensive book about the stock market, but no single book can be. I viewed it simply as a place to start. Halfway through the book I had already trained myself not to be irritated by the excessive advertising for IBD because I liked what I was learning.
Bottom line? I guess the value of the book is not what it costs, but how we individually can relate to the information presented. But just to put it in perspective, last month my husband went to a "FREE Seminar" [not by William O'Neil or IBD]on investing in stocks. What did he get?--a REAL sales pitch for "trading" software that cost (get this) only $3,995.00! That's what I would call shameless advertising.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Serious Investor, April 28 2004
Bryan Haeusser (Overland Park, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This book is a great tool for a serious investor, but can be difficult to understand if you are new to the stock market. Bill O'Neil reveals many of his own strategies for timing the market and investing in quality stocks. If you are serious about making money in the stock market, I would definitely recommend this book to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's Guide, April 12 2004
I must admit I am an amateur when it comes to the stock market. William J. O'Neil's 24 Essential Lessons for Investment Success help put me on the right track to succeed in the market. This book is an in depth report on when to buy and sell stocks, and how to read graphical analysis of a stock.
O'Neil makes it clear that the only difference between the successful person and everyone else is determination and persistence. O'Neil states that one has to pay close attention to each stock, mutual fund, etc... Also, he points out that investing in too many stocks can come back to haunt you. Keep it simple and you will see results. O'Neil is a big advocate of keeping your basket small.
O'Neil goes over buying and selling stocks in depth. He goes into cutting your loses (8% below purchase price). Also, he talks about when to buy at the right time (pivot point). This book will without doubt help any person deciding to invest their hard earned money in the stock market. I know it helped me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great book by O'Neil, March 15 2004
Zev Saftlas "Founder and Host of EmpoweringMe... (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Another great book from a proven, winning stock market investor. I loved O'Neil's first classic, How to Make Money in Stocks and I liked this one too. Although, if you have too choose between the two, I would recommend you get his first book first.

Zev Saftlas, Author of Motivation That Works: How to Get Motivated and Stay Motivated

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from O'Neil, Jan. 20 2004
magellan (Santa Clara, CA) - See all my reviews
I liked this book although I would recommend you read O'Neil's classic, How to Make Money in Stocks, before reading this one. That's because this book basically begins where that one leaves off, and concentrates on which indicators and information to focus on as a further aid to analyzing and buying a stock. And not too surprisingly, O'Neil emphasizes that you can get all this information from the IBD. I recently looked at getting a subscription, but unfortunately, the relative strength and sector strengths info only come with the premium, or more expensive version of the subscription, but many experts regard getting and reading the IBD an essential component of their investing success.
While I myself have never used that particular info myself, and have been able to do just fine in the market without it, the stock tables and indicators in the IBD do boil a lot of information and research down into such famous indicators as O'Neil's relative strength and sector strength ratings, EPS and volume information, and so on. Although you could get most of this information from other sources for no charge, IBD puts it all under one cover, and the relative strength indicator is something you can't get anywhere else. This is probably worth the price of the subscription as a time-saver, especially if it helps you make money. So I would essentially say this book is mainly for those who want to use O'Neil's system in conjunction with the info contained in the IBD, and are willing to put out the money for a subscription to get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 24 Essential Lessons - A Big Help For New Investors, Dec 11 2002
Lauren (St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Overland Park, KS) - See all my reviews
Speaking as someone who lacks any major experience in the stock market, I found O'Neil's book "24 Essential Lessons..." an immense help. I've found many other financial books difficult to follow because of their difficult vocabulary and assumption of preexisting knowledge. This book explains all the basics in an easy to follow question answer form. Yes, O'Neil does make many references to his newspaper "Investor's Business Daily" but, "24 Essential Lessons..." is such an abridged version of his other work, it only makes sense that he would direct us to his other publicatons so that we can read his elaborated thoughts on any and every topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great System, Oct. 22 2002
Andrew Scheifele (California) - See all my reviews
This is a very practical and complete system of when to buy AND when to sell. Would have saved me much $ in 2000.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ad for O'Neil's IBD, May 6 2002
Murilo S M Schunke (Jaraguá do Sul, SC Brazil) - See all my reviews
Bill O'Neil is certainly an experienced Wall Street trader, but he, talking bussiness, "tends" to use his books as an advertisement campaign for Investor's Business Daily, a newspaper he created and own. To have an idea the book offers 2 weeks free of Investor's Bussiness Daily, wich you also can get on it's website at [URL].
The book has certainly good tips and some others not that good. For example, he suggests that a broker is only good if it subscribes to the Investor's Business Daily. He could be a little more discreet! Some of the 24 lessons are only helpfull if you subscribe to the Investor's Business Daily, so unless you subscribe or plan to, this book is not worth the money.