5.0 out of 5 stars Humor Opened Doors and Minds, Feb. 21 2001
"workline" (Winnipeg, Manitoba) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Book of Humorous Training Games (Paperback)
I recently purchased a copy of this book as I was preparing to facilitiate a workshop on respect in the workplace. I had used games in previous training sessions but was pleasantly surprised when I came across this book.
I referred specifically to Chapter 8, dealing with reducing workplace negativity. I found that the games triggered a powerful response from the participants as their concerns became very obvious in a non-threatening way. The real benefit was what happened at the debriefing. Our discussion of issues turned into in-depth problem-solving. One participant said that an issue that had been festering with her for over three years was effectively resolved because the matter was finally discussed openly.
Fifty games set out in a manner that is easy to follow, easy to understand, and clearly focused on the concern being addressed, each game in a group probes deeper into the issues without getting personal. The final game in each group leads workshop participants to make a commitment to change. The structure of the games also permitted enough flexibility to address a group's specific workplace behaviors thereby making the exercise very relevant to the group. Based on the responses from participants in my recent workshop, the point of the games came through clearly and effectively, and will result in real change in their workplace. Very powerful catalysts, your games are.
I must also say that I am thoroughly enjoying this book! As a human resource consultant and trainer, I am always looking for new ways of thinking about change. This book is stimulating my mind to find other ways to present ideas in a fun and creative manner. Doni and Sharyn really helped make my job as a facilitator easier by giving me such powerful tools. I am keeping my eyes open to purchase other books by Doni & Sharyn to add to my library. I can hardly wait for Doni's new book, LAUGH AND LEARN: 95 WAYS PEOPLE WHO TEACH CAN USE HUMOR TO BOOST THE BRAIN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and Innovative, May 21 2003
Sharyn M. Weiss (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Book of Humorous Training Games (Paperback)
This is the best book on training games I have ever read. It gives new insight that I have found lacking in other authors. Sharyn Weiss is a genious in her trade. Thank you for making my job in executive and managerial training easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Book of Humorous Training Games, Nov. 18 2001
K. Tanney-Webber (Concord, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Book of Humorous Training Games (Paperback)
This book is a must for anyone who is involved with training or in giving presentations. I write and design training materials for a large corporation in which there is a constant need for training on many different levels. I have repeatedly used this book to make even the dryest of training materials fun, interesting and interative. The techniques work for all levels of employees from management down to Customer Service Reprensentatives. Now people walk away from training classes retaining far more information than before I found and began using this book. Participation and interest have greatly improved. I highly recommend this book-don't wait another minute longer to buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of ideas, March 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Big Book of Humorous Training Games (Paperback)
I got this book with Brian Miller's Quick Teambuilding Activities (also from amazon.com). Both are good. This one has more activities, but not necessarily better ones. I like the way this one often has a "suggested funny intro" for introducing the activity because i usually stumble in setting it up. The only problem is that some of the activites are quite long (up to an hour)...that's where Millers book excels, all activities are 15 min or less. The activities here are organized into nice categories, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, Oct. 20 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Big Book of Humorous Training Games (Paperback)
This book is a great reference for any trainer! Most of the Training Game books I have reviewed have a few games that really apply to your classroom needs. Not this one! There were very few of the games that I won't be using! So far, each one I have used has been received with enthusiasm by my students. I particularly enjoyed "Look Ma, No Hands" while training Delegation Skills.

The Big Book of Humorous Training Games
The Big Book of Humorous Training Games by Sharyn Weiss (Paperback - July 18 2000)
CDN$ 27.95 CDN$ 17.61