4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - great insights and ideas
The ideas presented in this book are pretty clear and can be pretty sobering for those in business. I wish I had purchased it before starting my first business!
Published 6 months ago by Gabriel Silva

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Entrepreneurs - Great for Packaged Goods Marketers
Published on Sept. 11 2010 by J. A. Broad

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Entrepreneurs - Great for Packaged Goods Marketers, Sept. 11 2010
J. A. Broad "Julie Broad (http://www.revnyou.... (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Trout and Reis have been quoted so much in conferences and books and programs I've taken that I expected a lot of this book. I found many of the insights and discussions very interesting but didn't take away a ton of great lessons from the book. Most of the stats are very old and many of the stories aren't relevant to today. If you're a marketer working for P&G or Kimberly Clark or one of the packaged goods companies I think there is a lot to be learned from these two authors. If you're an entrepreneur I think you'll find much better books out there to help you understand your brand and how to position yourself. Start with books like Influence by Cialdini, Michael Masterson's series of books, and even some of the old marketing classics.

Please don't get me wrong - the book is well thought out and there are a lot of very interesting stories. The underlying messages about positioning are definitely valuable but it was a long haul listening to this collection of CD's trying to find the nuggets of gold to apply to my own entrepreneurial ventures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - great insights and ideas, Jan. 24 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory, April 20 2013
This review is from: Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind (Paperback)
I got what I paid for, they were used books. One does not want to pay for express for something not of urgent nature.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject, unchallenging presentation, July 22 2003
Lothos25 "lothos25" (Mexico, Edo. Mex. Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind (Paperback)
"Positioning" is a book written to appeal to the then burgeoning "marketing professional" a job description that I do not believe was well separated from advertising as of yet. Therefore, "positioning" caters to people who are involved in the selling of products and services, but that do not necessarily have any formal training in psychology. Although some of the bases of the theory of perception and memory are inherent in the concept presented as "positioning", the theoretical underpinning are not explored at all, and the authors either do not know about them, or make no effort to demonstrate they do, which in a way undermines the effectiveness of the contents of the book. This happens because, due to the lack of any theoretical basis for the concepts the authors claim to be effective, the book becomes a series of anecdotes that have not withheld the passing of time very well. This would not matter if there was some theoretical backing for the arguments presented, but leaving the whole support of the ideas to anecdotes from "successful" companies that have (in most cases unconsciously) applied the concept of positioning makes the book very weak after 20 years.
"Positioning" also falls for the logical trap of presenting all ideas as directives, and then copping out by establishing that, if it doesn't work, it must be the marketing practitioner's fault. The last chapter mentions that "To be successful at positioning, you have to have the right mental attitude... This requires patience, courage, and strength of character". Therefore, if the "positioning" strategy fails, it is your fault, not the concepts. Also, the examples that are not success stories are presented ambiguously enough to leave unclear whether the "directions" should be followed or not, but there are enough straightforward instructions to make you feel like the concept is foolproof, and that any failures in applying the techniques marked as "winners" are through the marketing manager's fault, not that the concept might be incomplete. The book is not without merit, since it does approach the subject quite clearly and concisely, and does give an approximation to a concept that is well known and well researched by now.
It is a shame that an interesting subject and an interesting topic is presented in such an unrewarding and unchallenging manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read for every marketing person, April 30 2011
Bob Delaney (Mississauga, Ontario) - See all my reviews
When I first read "Positioning," it was a new book in the early 1980s. It was then, and remains today the single most readable book that explains why people, buyers, voters and opinion makers form the opinions they do. It is witty, readable and broken into digestable chunks. Thirty years on, it needs a refresh. Badly. Unless you are past the age of 40 or 45, and preferably looking backwards at 50, the examples are (though valid) painfully dated. For many readers, they are scantly relevant for a full generation who have not lived through that period of the 1960s and 1970s in marketing and advertising. But it remains nonetheless a classic, and its principles remain as applicable today as when Ries and Trout wrote them. No serious marketing professional should embark upon a career without knowing what's between the covers in "Positioning."

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplifies the Complexities of Marketing, Feb. 24 2006
Rachel Landry (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind (Paperback)
This is the first book I read when I began my position as a Junior Writer with a Marketing Consulting firm. I was overwhelmed by all that I was learning on-the-job, though I loved having been thrown into the thick of challenging work. This book was an excellent starting point for me. It demystified a lot of the concepts that I was juggling around at the start, and gave me something to relate to.
I appreciate how Positioning deals with keeping concepts simple, both in the book and through its principles. That is, marketing is about giving consumers something clear, simple and relatable that is strictly yours, not necessarily about dazzling them every time. I have gone back to the teachings of Positioning every time I start to write something and find my work full of jargon that means nothing. It has proven to be a useful tool, and I suspect it will for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, A Milestone and a Must Read, June 26 2004
James Sadler (Plano, TX United States) - See all my reviews
The twentieth anniversary edition of "Positioning" is uniquely updated without disrupting the original edition. Ries and Trout provide commentary in the margins, rather than rewriting passages in the book.
And in those margins, they can sometimes be brutally honest, as they occasionally admit to being wrong on some of their theories. But what you will note as you read this book is that the theories they advanced 20 years ago have largely proved out in the interim. This is a seminal work, a book that should be read by anyone involved in any form of marketing.
The current hot trend in marketing-- "branding"-- is in many ways an outgrowth of the theories put forth on "Positioning." Essentially you distinguish your product or service from the competition. The ideal means of doing this is to be first to the market with your product or service, although that is no guarantee of continuous success. This may also mean finding an untapped niche, particularly in crowded categories.
Particularly interesting I their discussion of line extension, and how it dilutes, rather than strengthens, a company's position in the marketplace. And it is interesting to read how some companies at one time literally owned a particular product category, only to lose it when they tinkered with their concept too much.
Education, entertaining, and enlightening, this book is an important addition to anyone interested in marketing library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much More Than Marketing, March 4 2004
David Quinn (Orange County, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind (Paperback)
Positioning is the idea that shook Madison Avenue to its core in the 1970s. Ries and Trout published what the high priests of Madison Avenue deemed as heresy. These two upstarts dared to take the voodoo out of marketing - and marketing has not been the same since.
Over the years I have given away countless dozens of Positioning. I have found two types of recipients: (1) Those who view it as a book on marketing, and (2) those who truly "get it."
Positioning is not actually about marketing, though that is its platform. It is about how the human mind works. The principals taught in this book apply across all of our lives - from how we are viewed by our friends to why we affiliate with a particular political party or other social cause. Learning how Positioning works is learning about life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Positioing Needs Updating, Sept. 10 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind (Paperback)
Jack Trout is a very good writer and has important insights about the importance of differentiation. I especially liked this book as the cases are very relevant.
But many ideas are getting a bit dated. That being said, if you haven't read anything by Jack Trout or Al Ries then this book, or one of the aforementioned books, is essential reading for marketing and brand managers. An updated book would be High Intensity Marketing by Idris Mootee, an ex-Mckinsey guy. I also like George Day, the Wharton professor who wrote a few good books in postioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ, July 1 2003
This review is from: Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind (Paperback)
SUPREMELY HELPFUL... I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE IN ANY INDUSTRY.... I'VE MOVED ON TO OTHER BOOKS BY THE SAME AUTHORS... I'M WELL READ ON THE TOPICS OF BRANDING AND MARKETING AND CONSIDER THIS A MUST READ.... READ IT!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind
Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Jack Trout (Paperback - Dec 13 2000)
CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 13.10