5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
Published on March 31 2009 by Dylan's Mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
But Pantley has obviously never met my kid, a 12 mo old baby girl. These didn't work for her. I don't believe they're bad ideas, they're just not suited for my child.
I gave this book 3 stars, because I do believe that it's best to try everything else before resorting to a...
Published on Feb. 29 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book., March 31 2009
Dylan's Mummy (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book shows you how. I think this book has a lot to offer every sleep-deprived parent - co-sleeping or not, breast or bottle-fed - without making value judgements.

I can't say enough about the "No-cry sleep solution". I'm certain that I'd still be waking up 4-5 times a night with my son now (as I did for the first 20 months of his life) if it weren't for this book (the original or "toddler" version - I've read both). If you're looking for a loving & gentle alternative to chronic sleep-deprivation of the worst order, without any crying (for you or your child), this book is a great choice.

This book was recommended to me by an expert board-certified lactation consultant who I know & trust very well. She specifically commented that this book is compatible/realistic in expectations regarding breastfed babies, where she didn't feel that some other books, like "Baby Whisperer" are (and I agree with her on that).

Just to show how far we've come in three months, thanks to this book: I'm still breastfeeding my son, just not during the night. He understands this, and is OK with it (he says "Milk in the morning" with a smile as we get him ready for bed in the evening). After we finish cuddling & reading in the evening, he *asks* to go into his bed, where he clearly feels cozy and happy. He asks to hold hands with me for just a few minutes, then he lets go (while still awake), and I sit with him until he falls asleep, usually 10 minutes or so. He's asleep by 8:30 pm, and wakes up at 7 am, calling out "Mummy? Good morning Mummy!", rested and smiling (he *always* used to wake up crying, and was still quite obviously tired, but I think he just didn't know how to go back to sleep). We cuddle & he nurses first thing when he wakes up, and then we're ready to start the day. Now I'm sleeping enough that I can even get up and - gasp - have a shower and be dressed before he wakes up, so our morning routine to get out of the house is a lot faster & easier. And my husband and I are back in our own bed together, yay! I'm a much nicer & more patient Mummy with a decent night's sleep, and my son is very happy & well-rested now too.

5.0 out of 5 stars TEN stars! It really works � sleep with no tears!, May 25 2002
By A Customer
I was desperate and this book saved me. My 15 month old was waking up every 2 hours every single night. He wouldn't nap more than 20 minutes. I was seriously sleep-deprived.
I let my first baby cry it out 4 years ago - it took 5 weeks and she would cry for hours at a time, and I cried too. And then we had to do it over again after teething or a cold or a vacation. I still regret it, but back then I didn't think I had any other choice. But now there was no way I would go through that torture again, so I suffered through 15 months of sleeplessness instead.
A friend gave me The No Cry Sleep Solution 4 weeks ago and we have made incredible progress! My baby falls asleep so much easier and wakes up only once. He takes a 2-hour nap, too.
I love that this book doesn't assume that all babies - or all parents - are alike. It gives a tremendous variety of ideas to choose from. It covers every possible aspect of baby sleep - from routines, to habits, to the sleep environment, to creating sleep-cues, to reading your baby's sleepy signals.
The chapter on Basic Sleep Facts taught me all I needed to know about my baby's sleep problems, without being overly long or technical. I like that the reader creates a personal sleep plan from the many ideas in the book, and I like that the author doesn't dictate one right way. You can be a co-sleeper or a crib-sleeper, a breastfeeder or a bottle feeder, use a pacifier or not - she respects all your choices and gives you ideas to work within the range of your own comfort zone.
The tone is compassionate and caring, like reading a letter from a kind and wise friend. I plan to give this book as a shower gift and new baby gift every chance I get. No one should suffer through sleepless nights OR crying it out - this book is the absolute answer to gentle baby sleep -- and better mommy and daddy sleep, too. (There's even a chapter on how adults can get better sleep too.)
If your baby is keeping you up at night this is the smartest [money] you could ever spend. ZZZZZZZZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Recommended, Sept. 1 2004
I am a family practice physician and I regularly recommend this book to my parents. I have had my own experiences with my two children which has made me a better physician, and studied many books in my own despair as a mother- this book is the light and the truth. Mrs. Pantley's support of mother's love and support in teaching children to sleep and enjoying the process is revolutionary to the unsupportive "cry it out rule" that locks mom's into permanent and unecessary guilt and heartbreak. She provides logs and easy to follow steps that will leave you motivated for the process, not dreading it. What a great book. I recommend it across the board to my patients.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!, May 23 2002
Anne M. Searles "asearles" (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I could type that word forever. I am a mom who loves and respects her child. I have realized from the beginning that my son cries for a reason. I have done my best to address his needs immediately.
However, when it comes to sleep I have been at my wits end from day one. My son could never get past 20 minutes with his naps. He has always started screaming at this point. Other books address that this is "normal", as some babies have a hard time transitioning from light sleep to deep sleep. They will eventually learn to transition...WHEN???? At 17 months, I was still holding my son so he would sleep through a nap. I needed some time to myself. I was trapped.
I read Elizabeth's book and was so relieved to read that there are ways to help your child transition to deep sleep. I didn't have to hold him all day. We are one week into the program and my son is taking two 1 - 2 hour naps a day!!! I still have to pat him during certain intervals, but he stays asleep. He doesn't wake up crying anymore. He actually makes a happy noise when he's ready to get out of bed!!!
Next phase it to get him to fall asleep on his own!
Get this book tired mamma and daddy. You'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars this worked for us!, Dec 17 2002
By A Customer
my baby must have been the world's worst sleeper! she would only nap in our arms, and needed to nurse for a long time to fall asleep at night -- and then needed to nurse on and off all night long to stay asleep. and sometimes not even then! i was at my wit's end, and i tried so many things that just did not work. many of the old "solutions" only alienated us. let our baby sleep alone in a room? let our baby cry until she fell asleep? these are unheard of among filipinos (and so is sids, i might add).
then along came this book, and my prayers were answered! ms pantley shows how we can guide our babies towards better sleep without moving them out of your beds (if that is your choice), without switching to formula, and best of all, without torturing the baby with cry-it-out methods. this is the baby sleeping book that is most suitable to filipino child-rearing practices. even before i received this book, i already tried some of the ideas from the author's website -- like how to decrease nighttime feeding -- and my baby started sleeping 5-hour stretches.
when i did finally receive the book, i no longer needed it. and then my daughter started sleeping longer still. now she naps and sleeps in her bed (a mattress on the floor beside our bed) without having to nurse, and she stays asleep until morning. thank you, elizabeth pantley!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, Nov. 24 2002
K. K. W. Boschulte "kathyb1" (Columbia, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book when my daughter was 3 months old, and she was waking up every 2 hours and couldn't fall asleep unless she was nursing. Using the methods outlined in this book, my daughter is now taking two regular naps and sleeping from 8:00 - 8:30 to about 8:00 with one night waking (down from 4-6). I have been telling everyone that I know who have little ones with sleeping problems about this book. I think that is such a humane approach to teaching our little ones to sleep with out resorting to CIO.
Because of this book, I now know that sleeping through the night is actually 5-6 hours of sleep (without waking) and that we can't expect all babies to be sleeping for 10-12 hours straight by the time they are 3 months old. I also liked the list that was outlined of signs to look for when babies are tired. As a result, it is so easy for me to determine when my daughter is tired and I can put her to bed accordingly.
Miss Pantley has written a wonderful book that takes Mothers and Babies feelings into consideration when they are being guided to "sleeping through the night".

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 stars! An AP Mom's best friend!, July 16 2002
By A Customer
I am about as AP as they come (co-sleeping, slinging, breastfeeding, etc) but my baby's lack of sleep was starting to affect my health and well-being. After more than a year of getting up every 2 hours I was getting desperate for some sleep. I own all the best AP books, but none gave me what I needed to help my baby sleep-until this one. I followed the suggestions exactly and used the logs and guides to create a sleep plan that I was comfortable with and that was very gentle for my baby. Within three weeks he was sleeping 6 straight hours! I love the friendly reassuring tone of this book. The author gives constant reassurance and comfort along with sleep ideas. I'm feeling so much better now and I'm a better mother because I'm getting my sleep. And now we can try for another baby and since I have the newborn section of this book to follow we won't go through another year of sleepless nights!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book works!, Nov. 3 2003
By A Customer
If you want to sleep and you can't, or wont, make your baby cry it out, give this book a few weeks to work it's magic. E. Pantley gives parents for babies of all ages a series of ideas and steps that really do work. It is a gentle and caring process that only takes a few weeks. The book says it may take a month or so, but we started seeing results after one night.
My daughter (7 mo.) has gone from waking every 2 hours to sleeping straight through the night without crying it out - ever. I am now a sane mommy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for us!!, Nov. 17 2006
Here is our experience with the book. It should speak for itself. My 5 month old was still only sleeping in 3 hours increments and drinking bottles at every waking (3 hours from the start of one feeding to the start of the next). He also was waking for water bottle soothing and paci at other times. We thought about cry it out but didn't feel we could handle it. Our son has reflux and on many occasions has had choking episodes. We were just not comfortable letting him cry, since crying can make reflux worse. After reading The No Cry Sleep Solution book my husband and I decided we HAD to follow it to the letter to break these bad sleep habits. We were at the point of total exhaustion. We both work full time and this was just not working.

So, we did our sleep logs and found that our baby was waking over 5 times a night. He was an hour short on naps. Our bedtime routine also started way too late, after he was fussy. We came up with our sleep plan and began on a Sunday night. The first two nights he totally rejected it but we persisted and didn't give up. Within 3 nights he set a lifetime record of sleeping 4 1/2 hours in a row! I literally woke in a panic to make sure he was alive! We are on our second week and I don't even have to do a sleep log to know we are seeing results. Since then our baby has slept 6 hours in a row last night and on several other night this past week 4 1/2 hours and 5 hours. We have a set back night here and there, likely due to teething but we are TOTALLY satisfied with one waking per night. I know others wouldn't settle for this but I think for 5-6 months one waking is totally reasonable and I sometimes enjoy it since I work full time and have little time on the weekdays with him. I feel if we continue our routine to the letter he will continue to improve and sleep longer when he is ready.

I love how the book allows a person to still incorporate whatever sleep style they choose, whether it is co sleeping, attachment parenting, sleeping in the crib or a combination of all of them. We do a combination of crib and co sleeping though our ultimate goal is the crib. This is an excellent common sense approach to sleeping especially if your not comfortable with crying it out. It is also an excellent approach that you could take when immediately after a child is born to prevent sleep issues. We will apply the principles immediately with our next child. Live and learn right?

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd found it sooner, March 24 2004
Just to say how great the "no cry sleep solution" is. I did not discover the book until 2mths ago and what a difference it has made to my sons sleeping habits! My son has been an awful sleeper since birth. He is now 22mths and has gone from;
*having no regular sleep pattern, being breastfed to sleep and waking up to six times a night to be fed
to;
*regular naptime, bedtime routine, falling to sleep with a story and sleeping most nights from 9.30pm to 7.30am.
I could not believe it (especially as he has been a poor sleeper for such a long time). I found the book very interesting to read and the ideas simple to implement. There is a section that tells you how to log progress and I found this a real help with keeping me focused.
I am so happy to find a book which actually looks at the needs of parents and children (rather than just encouraging parents to 'leave' the child to struggle with sleep). My only regret is that I didn't find the book earlier and could have saved myself, husband and most importantly, son from struggling with sleep issues for so long.

CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96