5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
Published on March 31 2009 by Amelia

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
But Pantley has obviously never met my kid, a 12 mo old baby girl. These didn't work for her. I don't believe they're bad ideas, they're just not suited for my child.
Published on Feb. 29 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book., March 31 2009
Amelia (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book shows you how. I think this book has a lot to offer every sleep-deprived parent - co-sleeping or not, breast or bottle-fed - without making value judgements.

I can't say enough about the "No-cry sleep solution". I'm certain that I'd still be waking up 4-5 times a night with my son now (as I did for the first 20 months of his life) if it weren't for this book (the original or "toddler" version - I've read both). If you're looking for a loving & gentle alternative to chronic sleep-deprivation of the worst order, without any crying (for you or your child), this book is a great choice.

This book was recommended to me by an expert board-certified lactation consultant who I know & trust very well. She specifically commented that this book is compatible/realistic in expectations regarding breastfed babies, where she didn't feel that some other books, like "Baby Whisperer" are (and I agree with her on that).

Just to show how far we've come in three months, thanks to this book: I'm still breastfeeding my son, just not during the night. He understands this, and is OK with it (he says "Milk in the morning" with a smile as we get him ready for bed in the evening). After we finish cuddling & reading in the evening, he *asks* to go into his bed, where he clearly feels cozy and happy. He asks to hold hands with me for just a few minutes, then he lets go (while still awake), and I sit with him until he falls asleep, usually 10 minutes or so. He's asleep by 8:30 pm, and wakes up at 7 am, calling out "Mummy? Good morning Mummy!", rested and smiling (he *always* used to wake up crying, and was still quite obviously tired, but I think he just didn't know how to go back to sleep). We cuddle & he nurses first thing when he wakes up, and then we're ready to start the day. Now I'm sleeping enough that I can even get up and - gasp - have a shower and be dressed before he wakes up, so our morning routine to get out of the house is a lot faster & easier. And my husband and I are back in our own bed together, yay! I'm a much nicer & more patient Mummy with a decent night's sleep, and my son is very happy & well-rested now too.

5.0 out of 5 stars TEN stars! It really works � sleep with no tears!, May 25 2002
By A Customer
I was desperate and this book saved me. My 15 month old was waking up every 2 hours every single night. He wouldn't nap more than 20 minutes. I was seriously sleep-deprived.
I let my first baby cry it out 4 years ago - it took 5 weeks and she would cry for hours at a time, and I cried too. And then we had to do it over again after teething or a cold or a vacation. I still regret it, but back then I didn't think I had any other choice. But now there was no way I would go through that torture again, so I suffered through 15 months of sleeplessness instead.
A friend gave me The No Cry Sleep Solution 4 weeks ago and we have made incredible progress! My baby falls asleep so much easier and wakes up only once. He takes a 2-hour nap, too.
I love that this book doesn't assume that all babies - or all parents - are alike. It gives a tremendous variety of ideas to choose from. It covers every possible aspect of baby sleep - from routines, to habits, to the sleep environment, to creating sleep-cues, to reading your baby's sleepy signals.
The chapter on Basic Sleep Facts taught me all I needed to know about my baby's sleep problems, without being overly long or technical. I like that the reader creates a personal sleep plan from the many ideas in the book, and I like that the author doesn't dictate one right way. You can be a co-sleeper or a crib-sleeper, a breastfeeder or a bottle feeder, use a pacifier or not - she respects all your choices and gives you ideas to work within the range of your own comfort zone.
The tone is compassionate and caring, like reading a letter from a kind and wise friend. I plan to give this book as a shower gift and new baby gift every chance I get. No one should suffer through sleepless nights OR crying it out - this book is the absolute answer to gentle baby sleep -- and better mommy and daddy sleep, too. (There's even a chapter on how adults can get better sleep too.)
If your baby is keeping you up at night this is the smartest [money] you could ever spend. ZZZZZZZZ

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, Nov. 24 2002
K. K. W. Boschulte "kathyb1" (Columbia, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book when my daughter was 3 months old, and she was waking up every 2 hours and couldn't fall asleep unless she was nursing. Using the methods outlined in this book, my daughter is now taking two regular naps and sleeping from 8:00 - 8:30 to about 8:00 with one night waking (down from 4-6). I have been telling everyone that I know who have little ones with sleeping problems about this book. I think that is such a humane approach to teaching our little ones to sleep with out resorting to CIO.
Because of this book, I now know that sleeping through the night is actually 5-6 hours of sleep (without waking) and that we can't expect all babies to be sleeping for 10-12 hours straight by the time they are 3 months old. I also liked the list that was outlined of signs to look for when babies are tired. As a result, it is so easy for me to determine when my daughter is tired and I can put her to bed accordingly.
Miss Pantley has written a wonderful book that takes Mothers and Babies feelings into consideration when they are being guided to "sleeping through the night".

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!, Feb. 29 2004
By A Customer
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
I gave this book 3 stars, because I do believe that it's best to try everything else before resorting to a cry-it-out approach. This book contains a good collection of ideas that fit into that category: everything but crying it out.
I only gave the book 3 stars, because Pantley states repeatedly that her ideas *will* (she often adds italics) work for the readers' baby, given enough time. That's ridiculous. Nothing works for every baby, as evidenced by my kid's reaction to her ideas.
For example, my daughter had a very strong breastfeeding to sleep association. Pantley promotes her "gentle removal plan" to help with this problem. The gentle removal plan involves Mom removing the breast from Baby's mouth before Baby falls asleep. If Baby fusses or cries, Mom puts Baby back on the breast and tries again in a few seconds (or minutes, up to Mom's discretion.) Mom and Baby do this over and over again until Baby falls asleep, but not on the breast. Over a few nights, Mom is supposed to notice the removals are easier.
Not in our case! We went from a minute or so of calm before the fussing started to instant, red-faced screaming as soon as the breast was removed. In hindsight, it makes sense. I'm not dealing with a little 4 month old. I'm dealing with a one year old. She knows what's up. She's beginning to learn that screaming is a way she can get what she wants. This is a battle moms fight with toddlers, or budding toddlers like mine, every day. So, why use a sleep plan which involves giving in to the crying?! Retrospectively, I can see why this didn't work for us; in fact it may have been counter-productive.
Here is the bottom line: If you are desperate for ideas to help your child sleep through the night, without letting him/her "cry it out," then you may find this book helpful. There are many ideas here. However, keep in mind that nothing, no parenting philosophy, no sleep plan, works for every child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and compassionate!, June 5 2003
I've read the two popular sleep books by male doctors and was very dissapointed - they don't seem to understand what's in a mother's heart. It's easy for them to advise a parent to let a baby cry from a distance, but so hard to implement it when every pore in your body screams that it's wrong -- when it is the little love of your life who is crying desperately. Ms. Pantley is a mother and a woman. She has had four babies, and she truly understands that while sleep is important, letting your baby cry is impossible for some of us, as it was for her. Her book is an answer to my prayers. It is filled with kind, loving ideas that feel right to me. I am only a week into it but am already seeing improvement in my baby's sleeping, and I am amazed that it is happening without any crying at all. I have also learned so much about my baby's sleep, that I was able to clearly understand why he hasn't been sleeping well. I plan to give this book to every pregnant friend of mine, since my only wish is that I would have bought it sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars this worked for us!, Dec 17 2002
By A Customer
my baby must have been the world's worst sleeper! she would only nap in our arms, and needed to nurse for a long time to fall asleep at night -- and then needed to nurse on and off all night long to stay asleep. and sometimes not even then! i was at my wit's end, and i tried so many things that just did not work. many of the old "solutions" only alienated us. let our baby sleep alone in a room? let our baby cry until she fell asleep? these are unheard of among filipinos (and so is sids, i might add).
then along came this book, and my prayers were answered! ms pantley shows how we can guide our babies towards better sleep without moving them out of your beds (if that is your choice), without switching to formula, and best of all, without torturing the baby with cry-it-out methods. this is the baby sleeping book that is most suitable to filipino child-rearing practices. even before i received this book, i already tried some of the ideas from the author's website -- like how to decrease nighttime feeding -- and my baby started sleeping 5-hour stretches.
when i did finally receive the book, i no longer needed it. and then my daughter started sleeping longer still. now she naps and sleeps in her bed (a mattress on the floor beside our bed) without having to nurse, and she stays asleep until morning. thank you, elizabeth pantley!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book works!, Nov. 3 2003
By A Customer
If you want to sleep and you can't, or wont, make your baby cry it out, give this book a few weeks to work it's magic. E. Pantley gives parents for babies of all ages a series of ideas and steps that really do work. It is a gentle and caring process that only takes a few weeks. The book says it may take a month or so, but we started seeing results after one night.
My daughter (7 mo.) has gone from waking every 2 hours to sleeping straight through the night without crying it out - ever. I am now a sane mommy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best parenting book and author!, March 5 2014
Carissa Carnes (SALEM, OREGON, US) - See all my reviews
This book and this series has helped me in so many ways. I started out my journey with the No Cry Sleep Solution as a overly tired family. At the time my son was nursing and co sleeping. After reeding this book I quickly learned what was "normal" sleep and what I should expect from my little man. I have never been a fan of the "cry it out" method. I've always thought that babies cry for a reason and a tiny being so young could not possibly be trying to manipulate the situation, instead he was crying for his needs to be met. He just needed to be understood and feel safe. My goal when getting this book was to get more sleep!! Simple right? With in seriously a few weeks of using the tips and tricks in this book my son was down to two night nursings and sleeping in his own crib. I'm not saying that it will be that easy for every person and every baby, but it works very well for us. I refer back to this book on a regular basis whenever my son has troubles sleeping. The thing I really love about the way it is written is that I truly gave me confidence. The confidence to do and know what I already felt in my heart. This book helped me so much that I have almost all of the series. I have The No Cry Discipline Solution, The No Cry Picky Eater Solution (currently reading and love love love it!), The No. Cry Potty Training Solution, and Perfect Parenting. I honestly would love the entire series of every book she writes! The most touching thing tho was when, on a whim, I emailed Elizabeth. I was having trouble with taking my two year olds pacifier and couldn't find a lot on this in the books I have. She actually emailed me back. Her, herself emailed me back giving me some really great information on gently taking the Paci. I was so incredibly touched that as an author she truly cares about the families she is writing for. I can't say enough good things about this author and her books. I recommend all of them!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read for Parents who support gentle, guilt-free parenting, Jan. 14 2014
E. Leung (Vancouver, B.C.) - See all my reviews
As many parents who have a child with sleeping problems know, there are two basic schools of thoughts when it comes to "teaching" your child how to sleep - the "cry-it-out" school, and the attached parenting school. I have a strong conviction against using any methods that would cause the baby to cry unnecessarily, and have been reading many books from the no-cry "camp." What has been disappointing and distressing to me as a parent is that there are quite a few books from the no-cry camp that do not really make any concrete suggestions and tips as to what parents need to do to assist the baby in sleeping longer and sleeping un-interrupted. They go into extensive length either to explain to you why "cry it out" methods are harmful for the babies, or to encourage you to use your parental instincts to do "what feels right." As first-time parents who are starving to sleep, however, your instincts are foggy at best, and your mind just cannot tell you what needs to be done.

Pantley does a great job in first laying out in very straight-forward, but factual terms, the way babies sleep. It was extremely helpful to learn that a lot of the "problems" we are experiencing are actually quite normal, and as parents, our expectations need to be adjusted according to the developmental stages of the child. Pantley then goes on to provide an arsenal of tips and solutions, and offers a template where you can pick and choose the tips and strategies that fit your parental style, into a gentle, progressive, and thorough plan that would assist your child to eventually grow into a healthier sleep pattern that works for the baby and the family.

While it is still a bit of a struggle for my wife and I to help our child sleep through the night, the tips listed by Pentley are very helpful in moving us along. Things are slowly improving, and our baby, who was devastated through 19 days of sleep training, is now a happy child who is slowly but progressively learning how to sleep most nights. I would highly recommend this book, along with Anni Gethin's "Helping Baby Sleep," and Pinky McKay's "Sleeping Like a Baby" to any parents who are looking for a gentle, peaceful, and loving way to grow with your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a gentle and effective way to make baby sleep!, Jan. 27 2010
Francelyne Brunet (Montreal, Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews
A couple weeks ago, my 10 month-old daughter was waking me up every hour and a half, every night... Each time, I had to breastfeed her and try to put her to bed without awaking her. It could take me about 4 tries (1 hour) to succeed, 4 to 5 times every night. The last night before buying The No-cry Sleep Solution, I slept 4 hours, in 4 parts, leaving me exhausted and crying in the morning. I NEEDED to do something, but was completely against the idea of letting my daughter cry.

Then I found THE book to help me. Elizabeth Pantley's No-cry Sleep Solution proposes sensible and sensitive tips to improve both your child's sleep and yours. Very respectful and sympathetic to our sleep-deprivation status, the autor helps us recognize the possible causes of this sleep problem and find the appropriate solutions for ourselves. The book is then suitable for many family situations (from breastfeeded babies, or families practicing co-sleeping, to toddler sleeping in their own bed).

As for myself, I saw a big improvement in only a few nights. My baby now goes to bed earlier, wakes up only once or twice during the night, and I am able to put her back in her bed at the first or, at worst, second try. She didn't have to cry a single minute, and this was achieved only by using minor amendments to our usual sleep routine. I am now looking forward to the next step, showing her how to fall asleep by herself and enjoying a complete night of sleep! I am confident we will succeed, because we now have a trusted counselor to support us. Thank you, Elizabeth Pantley!

CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96