5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
Published on March 31 2009 by Dylan's Mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
But Pantley has obviously never met my kid, a 12 mo old baby girl. These didn't work for her. I don't believe they're bad ideas, they're just not suited for my child.
I gave this book 3 stars, because I do believe that it's best to try everything else before resorting to a...
Published on Feb. 29 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book., March 31 2009
Dylan's Mummy (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book shows you how. I think this book has a lot to offer every sleep-deprived parent - co-sleeping or not, breast or bottle-fed - without making value judgements.

I can't say enough about the "No-cry sleep solution". I'm certain that I'd still be waking up 4-5 times a night with my son now (as I did for the first 20 months of his life) if it weren't for this book (the original or "toddler" version - I've read both). If you're looking for a loving & gentle alternative to chronic sleep-deprivation of the worst order, without any crying (for you or your child), this book is a great choice.

This book was recommended to me by an expert board-certified lactation consultant who I know & trust very well. She specifically commented that this book is compatible/realistic in expectations regarding breastfed babies, where she didn't feel that some other books, like "Baby Whisperer" are (and I agree with her on that).

Just to show how far we've come in three months, thanks to this book: I'm still breastfeeding my son, just not during the night. He understands this, and is OK with it (he says "Milk in the morning" with a smile as we get him ready for bed in the evening). After we finish cuddling & reading in the evening, he *asks* to go into his bed, where he clearly feels cozy and happy. He asks to hold hands with me for just a few minutes, then he lets go (while still awake), and I sit with him until he falls asleep, usually 10 minutes or so. He's asleep by 8:30 pm, and wakes up at 7 am, calling out "Mummy? Good morning Mummy!", rested and smiling (he *always* used to wake up crying, and was still quite obviously tired, but I think he just didn't know how to go back to sleep). We cuddle & he nurses first thing when he wakes up, and then we're ready to start the day. Now I'm sleeping enough that I can even get up and - gasp - have a shower and be dressed before he wakes up, so our morning routine to get out of the house is a lot faster & easier. And my husband and I are back in our own bed together, yay! I'm a much nicer & more patient Mummy with a decent night's sleep, and my son is very happy & well-rested now too.

5.0 out of 5 stars TEN stars! It really works � sleep with no tears!, May 25 2002
By A Customer
I was desperate and this book saved me. My 15 month old was waking up every 2 hours every single night. He wouldn't nap more than 20 minutes. I was seriously sleep-deprived.
I let my first baby cry it out 4 years ago - it took 5 weeks and she would cry for hours at a time, and I cried too. And then we had to do it over again after teething or a cold or a vacation. I still regret it, but back then I didn't think I had any other choice. But now there was no way I would go through that torture again, so I suffered through 15 months of sleeplessness instead.
A friend gave me The No Cry Sleep Solution 4 weeks ago and we have made incredible progress! My baby falls asleep so much easier and wakes up only once. He takes a 2-hour nap, too.
I love that this book doesn't assume that all babies - or all parents - are alike. It gives a tremendous variety of ideas to choose from. It covers every possible aspect of baby sleep - from routines, to habits, to the sleep environment, to creating sleep-cues, to reading your baby's sleepy signals.
The chapter on Basic Sleep Facts taught me all I needed to know about my baby's sleep problems, without being overly long or technical. I like that the reader creates a personal sleep plan from the many ideas in the book, and I like that the author doesn't dictate one right way. You can be a co-sleeper or a crib-sleeper, a breastfeeder or a bottle feeder, use a pacifier or not - she respects all your choices and gives you ideas to work within the range of your own comfort zone.
The tone is compassionate and caring, like reading a letter from a kind and wise friend. I plan to give this book as a shower gift and new baby gift every chance I get. No one should suffer through sleepless nights OR crying it out - this book is the absolute answer to gentle baby sleep -- and better mommy and daddy sleep, too. (There's even a chapter on how adults can get better sleep too.)
If your baby is keeping you up at night this is the smartest [money] you could ever spend. ZZZZZZZZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Recommended, Sept. 1 2004
I am a family practice physician and I regularly recommend this book to my parents. I have had my own experiences with my two children which has made me a better physician, and studied many books in my own despair as a mother- this book is the light and the truth. Mrs. Pantley's support of mother's love and support in teaching children to sleep and enjoying the process is revolutionary to the unsupportive "cry it out rule" that locks mom's into permanent and unecessary guilt and heartbreak. She provides logs and easy to follow steps that will leave you motivated for the process, not dreading it. What a great book. I recommend it across the board to my patients.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!, May 23 2002
Anne M. Searles "asearles" (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I could type that word forever. I am a mom who loves and respects her child. I have realized from the beginning that my son cries for a reason. I have done my best to address his needs immediately.
However, when it comes to sleep I have been at my wits end from day one. My son could never get past 20 minutes with his naps. He has always started screaming at this point. Other books address that this is "normal", as some babies have a hard time transitioning from light sleep to deep sleep. They will eventually learn to transition...WHEN???? At 17 months, I was still holding my son so he would sleep through a nap. I needed some time to myself. I was trapped.
I read Elizabeth's book and was so relieved to read that there are ways to help your child transition to deep sleep. I didn't have to hold him all day. We are one week into the program and my son is taking two 1 - 2 hour naps a day!!! I still have to pat him during certain intervals, but he stays asleep. He doesn't wake up crying anymore. He actually makes a happy noise when he's ready to get out of bed!!!
Next phase it to get him to fall asleep on his own!
Get this book tired mamma and daddy. You'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book early on!, April 23 2009
C. Doe (QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I noticed the No-cry sleep solution on my bedside table yesterday and realized I haven't consulted it in a long time, which, you'll agree, is excellent news.

Now that I look back, I realize that I was able to prevent many interrupted nights without much thought thanks simply to the knowledge acquired from reading this book, and the words of the mothers quoted in it. It was as if I had dozens of sisters, aunts and mothers shouldering me and teaching me what to expect as a new mother, and who can argue with the power of that!? The three most important concepts in the whole book for me were the "vow" to fill baby's tummy before sleep, the routine before sleep, and confirming what my insctincts were already dictating: that when baby is crying, you go to her because her needs, whatever they may be, are necessarily legitimate.

If you're a new mom, you just don't know which way is up sometimes. There is so much advice, commentary and opinion floating out there. This book is EXPERIENCE.

I bought and read "The no-cry sleep solution" following the advice of a friend and because I just don't believe in letting a newborn "cry it out" as a routine solution. Sometimes you need to walk away because you've just had it. And then you pick up this book and you feel better - you are not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and compassionate!, June 5 2003
I've read the two popular sleep books by male doctors and was very dissapointed - they don't seem to understand what's in a mother's heart. It's easy for them to advise a parent to let a baby cry from a distance, but so hard to implement it when every pore in your body screams that it's wrong -- when it is the little love of your life who is crying desperately. Ms. Pantley is a mother and a woman. She has had four babies, and she truly understands that while sleep is important, letting your baby cry is impossible for some of us, as it was for her. Her book is an answer to my prayers. It is filled with kind, loving ideas that feel right to me. I am only a week into it but am already seeing improvement in my baby's sleeping, and I am amazed that it is happening without any crying at all. I have also learned so much about my baby's sleep, that I was able to clearly understand why he hasn't been sleeping well. I plan to give this book to every pregnant friend of mine, since my only wish is that I would have bought it sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars this worked for us!, Dec 17 2002
By A Customer
my baby must have been the world's worst sleeper! she would only nap in our arms, and needed to nurse for a long time to fall asleep at night -- and then needed to nurse on and off all night long to stay asleep. and sometimes not even then! i was at my wit's end, and i tried so many things that just did not work. many of the old "solutions" only alienated us. let our baby sleep alone in a room? let our baby cry until she fell asleep? these are unheard of among filipinos (and so is sids, i might add).
then along came this book, and my prayers were answered! ms pantley shows how we can guide our babies towards better sleep without moving them out of your beds (if that is your choice), without switching to formula, and best of all, without torturing the baby with cry-it-out methods. this is the baby sleeping book that is most suitable to filipino child-rearing practices. even before i received this book, i already tried some of the ideas from the author's website -- like how to decrease nighttime feeding -- and my baby started sleeping 5-hour stretches.
when i did finally receive the book, i no longer needed it. and then my daughter started sleeping longer still. now she naps and sleeps in her bed (a mattress on the floor beside our bed) without having to nurse, and she stays asleep until morning. thank you, elizabeth pantley!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, Nov. 24 2002
K. K. W. Boschulte "kathyb1" (Columbia, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book when my daughter was 3 months old, and she was waking up every 2 hours and couldn't fall asleep unless she was nursing. Using the methods outlined in this book, my daughter is now taking two regular naps and sleeping from 8:00 - 8:30 to about 8:00 with one night waking (down from 4-6). I have been telling everyone that I know who have little ones with sleeping problems about this book. I think that is such a humane approach to teaching our little ones to sleep with out resorting to CIO.
Because of this book, I now know that sleeping through the night is actually 5-6 hours of sleep (without waking) and that we can't expect all babies to be sleeping for 10-12 hours straight by the time they are 3 months old. I also liked the list that was outlined of signs to look for when babies are tired. As a result, it is so easy for me to determine when my daughter is tired and I can put her to bed accordingly.
Miss Pantley has written a wonderful book that takes Mothers and Babies feelings into consideration when they are being guided to "sleeping through the night".

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 stars! An AP Mom's best friend!, July 16 2002
By A Customer
I am about as AP as they come (co-sleeping, slinging, breastfeeding, etc) but my baby's lack of sleep was starting to affect my health and well-being. After more than a year of getting up every 2 hours I was getting desperate for some sleep. I own all the best AP books, but none gave me what I needed to help my baby sleep-until this one. I followed the suggestions exactly and used the logs and guides to create a sleep plan that I was comfortable with and that was very gentle for my baby. Within three weeks he was sleeping 6 straight hours! I love the friendly reassuring tone of this book. The author gives constant reassurance and comfort along with sleep ideas. I'm feeling so much better now and I'm a better mother because I'm getting my sleep. And now we can try for another baby and since I have the newborn section of this book to follow we won't go through another year of sleepless nights!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book works!, Nov. 3 2003
By A Customer
If you want to sleep and you can't, or wont, make your baby cry it out, give this book a few weeks to work it's magic. E. Pantley gives parents for babies of all ages a series of ideas and steps that really do work. It is a gentle and caring process that only takes a few weeks. The book says it may take a month or so, but we started seeing results after one night.
My daughter (7 mo.) has gone from waking every 2 hours to sleeping straight through the night without crying it out - ever. I am now a sane mommy!

CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96