5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
Published on March 31 2009 by Dylan's Mummy

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless fluff
My MIL sent us this book when our 4-month-old continued to wake every 1.5-2 hours and wouldn't sleep in his crib. I appreciate her thoughtfulness, but we found this book completely useless. I could have achieved the same results by doing absolutely nothing.
Published on Dec 21 2002 by zorafl

5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book., March 31 2009
Dylan's Mummy (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book shows you how. I think this book has a lot to offer every sleep-deprived parent - co-sleeping or not, breast or bottle-fed - without making value judgements.

I can't say enough about the "No-cry sleep solution". I'm certain that I'd still be waking up 4-5 times a night with my son now (as I did for the first 20 months of his life) if it weren't for this book (the original or "toddler" version - I've read both). If you're looking for a loving & gentle alternative to chronic sleep-deprivation of the worst order, without any crying (for you or your child), this book is a great choice.

This book was recommended to me by an expert board-certified lactation consultant who I know & trust very well. She specifically commented that this book is compatible/realistic in expectations regarding breastfed babies, where she didn't feel that some other books, like "Baby Whisperer" are (and I agree with her on that).

Just to show how far we've come in three months, thanks to this book: I'm still breastfeeding my son, just not during the night. He understands this, and is OK with it (he says "Milk in the morning" with a smile as we get him ready for bed in the evening). After we finish cuddling & reading in the evening, he *asks* to go into his bed, where he clearly feels cozy and happy. He asks to hold hands with me for just a few minutes, then he lets go (while still awake), and I sit with him until he falls asleep, usually 10 minutes or so. He's asleep by 8:30 pm, and wakes up at 7 am, calling out "Mummy? Good morning Mummy!", rested and smiling (he *always* used to wake up crying, and was still quite obviously tired, but I think he just didn't know how to go back to sleep). We cuddle & he nurses first thing when he wakes up, and then we're ready to start the day. Now I'm sleeping enough that I can even get up and - gasp - have a shower and be dressed before he wakes up, so our morning routine to get out of the house is a lot faster & easier. And my husband and I are back in our own bed together, yay! I'm a much nicer & more patient Mummy with a decent night's sleep, and my son is very happy & well-rested now too.

5.0 out of 5 stars TEN stars! It really works � sleep with no tears!, May 25 2002
By A Customer
I was desperate and this book saved me. My 15 month old was waking up every 2 hours every single night. He wouldn't nap more than 20 minutes. I was seriously sleep-deprived.
I let my first baby cry it out 4 years ago - it took 5 weeks and she would cry for hours at a time, and I cried too. And then we had to do it over again after teething or a cold or a vacation. I still regret it, but back then I didn't think I had any other choice. But now there was no way I would go through that torture again, so I suffered through 15 months of sleeplessness instead.
A friend gave me The No Cry Sleep Solution 4 weeks ago and we have made incredible progress! My baby falls asleep so much easier and wakes up only once. He takes a 2-hour nap, too.
I love that this book doesn't assume that all babies - or all parents - are alike. It gives a tremendous variety of ideas to choose from. It covers every possible aspect of baby sleep - from routines, to habits, to the sleep environment, to creating sleep-cues, to reading your baby's sleepy signals.
The chapter on Basic Sleep Facts taught me all I needed to know about my baby's sleep problems, without being overly long or technical. I like that the reader creates a personal sleep plan from the many ideas in the book, and I like that the author doesn't dictate one right way. You can be a co-sleeper or a crib-sleeper, a breastfeeder or a bottle feeder, use a pacifier or not - she respects all your choices and gives you ideas to work within the range of your own comfort zone.
The tone is compassionate and caring, like reading a letter from a kind and wise friend. I plan to give this book as a shower gift and new baby gift every chance I get. No one should suffer through sleepless nights OR crying it out - this book is the absolute answer to gentle baby sleep -- and better mommy and daddy sleep, too. (There's even a chapter on how adults can get better sleep too.)
If your baby is keeping you up at night this is the smartest [money] you could ever spend. ZZZZZZZZ

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!, May 23 2002
Anne M. Searles "asearles" (San Ramon, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I could type that word forever. I am a mom who loves and respects her child. I have realized from the beginning that my son cries for a reason. I have done my best to address his needs immediately.
However, when it comes to sleep I have been at my wits end from day one. My son could never get past 20 minutes with his naps. He has always started screaming at this point. Other books address that this is "normal", as some babies have a hard time transitioning from light sleep to deep sleep. They will eventually learn to transition...WHEN???? At 17 months, I was still holding my son so he would sleep through a nap. I needed some time to myself. I was trapped.
I read Elizabeth's book and was so relieved to read that there are ways to help your child transition to deep sleep. I didn't have to hold him all day. We are one week into the program and my son is taking two 1 - 2 hour naps a day!!! I still have to pat him during certain intervals, but he stays asleep. He doesn't wake up crying anymore. He actually makes a happy noise when he's ready to get out of bed!!!
Next phase it to get him to fall asleep on his own!
Get this book tired mamma and daddy. You'll be glad you did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless fluff, Dec 21 2002
"zorafl" (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
Maybe it's just my personality type but I like my advice backed up with scientific facts and some actual research. This book was way too touchy-feely for me. After we read it, neither my husband nor I could name more than a handful of concrete things to do, and these were so minor and silly that they made no difference. When you have a child who hates to go to sleep and cries when you try to get him to sleep and then cries when he's over-tired, how exactly do you reach that "no-cry" period? We tried a lovey, like she suggests. Made no difference. We tried slowly taking away his pacifier. No difference. We tried not letting him fall asleep on the breast. Still waking up constantly, if not more often. We tried sleep logs. Great, now we have a bunch of pieces of paper we can turn into paper airplanes to throw at each other when we're up at 4am.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any parent looking for a good night's sleep, Oct. 25 2013
AS (Maryland) - See all my reviews
This book is wonderful and I recommend it to everyone I know who is pregnant or has their first child. If you want to raise your child peacefully and avoid sleep training methods such as CIO, this book is for you! Great tips and solid advice to help you realize you are not alone and there are steps you can take to help everyone in your home sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best parenting book and author!, March 5 2014
Carissa Carnes (SALEM, OREGON, US) - See all my reviews
This book and this series has helped me in so many ways. I started out my journey with the No Cry Sleep Solution as a overly tired family. At the time my son was nursing and co sleeping. After reeding this book I quickly learned what was "normal" sleep and what I should expect from my little man. I have never been a fan of the "cry it out" method. I've always thought that babies cry for a reason and a tiny being so young could not possibly be trying to manipulate the situation, instead he was crying for his needs to be met. He just needed to be understood and feel safe. My goal when getting this book was to get more sleep!! Simple right? With in seriously a few weeks of using the tips and tricks in this book my son was down to two night nursings and sleeping in his own crib. I'm not saying that it will be that easy for every person and every baby, but it works very well for us. I refer back to this book on a regular basis whenever my son has troubles sleeping. The thing I really love about the way it is written is that I truly gave me confidence. The confidence to do and know what I already felt in my heart. This book helped me so much that I have almost all of the series. I have The No Cry Discipline Solution, The No Cry Picky Eater Solution (currently reading and love love love it!), The No. Cry Potty Training Solution, and Perfect Parenting. I honestly would love the entire series of every book she writes! The most touching thing tho was when, on a whim, I emailed Elizabeth. I was having trouble with taking my two year olds pacifier and couldn't find a lot on this in the books I have. She actually emailed me back. Her, herself emailed me back giving me some really great information on gently taking the Paci. I was so incredibly touched that as an author she truly cares about the families she is writing for. I can't say enough good things about this author and her books. I recommend all of them!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful!!, Feb. 6 2014
Loved reading this book and the techniques she suggested actually worked!! Greatly helped me with getting my baby into healthy sleeping habits without letting her cry! Thank you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read for Parents who support gentle, guilt-free parenting, Jan. 14 2014
E. Leung (Vancouver, B.C.) - See all my reviews
As many parents who have a child with sleeping problems know, there are two basic schools of thoughts when it comes to "teaching" your child how to sleep - the "cry-it-out" school, and the attached parenting school. I have a strong conviction against using any methods that would cause the baby to cry unnecessarily, and have been reading many books from the no-cry "camp." What has been disappointing and distressing to me as a parent is that there are quite a few books from the no-cry camp that do not really make any concrete suggestions and tips as to what parents need to do to assist the baby in sleeping longer and sleeping un-interrupted. They go into extensive length either to explain to you why "cry it out" methods are harmful for the babies, or to encourage you to use your parental instincts to do "what feels right." As first-time parents who are starving to sleep, however, your instincts are foggy at best, and your mind just cannot tell you what needs to be done.

Pantley does a great job in first laying out in very straight-forward, but factual terms, the way babies sleep. It was extremely helpful to learn that a lot of the "problems" we are experiencing are actually quite normal, and as parents, our expectations need to be adjusted according to the developmental stages of the child. Pantley then goes on to provide an arsenal of tips and solutions, and offers a template where you can pick and choose the tips and strategies that fit your parental style, into a gentle, progressive, and thorough plan that would assist your child to eventually grow into a healthier sleep pattern that works for the baby and the family.

While it is still a bit of a struggle for my wife and I to help our child sleep through the night, the tips listed by Pentley are very helpful in moving us along. Things are slowly improving, and our baby, who was devastated through 19 days of sleep training, is now a happy child who is slowly but progressively learning how to sleep most nights. I would highly recommend this book, along with Anni Gethin's "Helping Baby Sleep," and Pinky McKay's "Sleeping Like a Baby" to any parents who are looking for a gentle, peaceful, and loving way to grow with your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A kind book, Oct. 20 2013
This book is kind, gentle and understanding to both mother and baby. There's no strict schedule to try and force your baby into that leaves you feeling like a failure. It's a very easy read and doesn't take too long to read. The book helps you to come to know your unique baby better and do what works for you. The sleep logs are a great reflective tool - I found I was so caught up in what was going on I didn't even know how frequently my baby was waking at night or how many naps he was having during the day. The logs helped me reflect on this and identify where and how we could improve. It does take time to get results, but for me it's worth it to avoid the distress of cry it out techniques. The book really speaks to you as a parent; acknowledges how hard it is to cope with little sleep. It also gently reminds you how precious parenthood is and how important it is to cherish your baby. This book really spoke to me and I feel better connected to my baby having read it. Our sleep continues to improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Need This Book!, July 8 2013
You need this book! As a first time mom, I read alot of books, probably too many. I should have just read this one. Pantley's "the no-cry sleep solution" is fantastic. It is written as a parent to parent conversation, gentle, and without judgment. Regardless of your parenting style, you will find this book helpful. It is written in a logical step-by-step approach, and is very upfront that this is a process and it will take time, but the end result is a transition that is gentle and loving - for everyone. It is well organized and clearly flags tips and tricks and who they might best suit (everyone, breastfeeders, bottle feeders, co-sleepers, etc.). The sleep diary log sheets are very easy to use or modify. In a time where I have lacked confidence and have felt judged by the decisions I have made, this book was a welcome addition to our household. It sits by the couch and the pages are ear marked. Many of them. Get the book.

ARRAY(0xb0750ec4)