5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book...
Published on March 31 2009 by Amelia

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
But Pantley has obviously never met my kid, a 12 mo old baby girl. These didn't work for her. I don't believe they're bad ideas, they're just not suited for my child.
I gave this book 3 stars, because I do believe that it's best to try everything else before resorting to a...
Published on Feb. 29 2004

‹ Previous | 134 35 3641 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., June 5 2014
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
Great book! Gives lots of ideas. Hopefully this will help with my daughters sleeping habits. Like the examples throughout the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an appropriate choice for AP parents, Oct. 8 2002
By A Customer
This book will be helpful to parents who can tolerate small bits of the "cry-it-out method" (Pantley offers a modified cry-it-out method), but it's not suitable for AP parents who believe that they need to respond to their babies' needs day or night. Nighttime Parenting by Dr. Sears offers a much more baby-friendly and parent-friendly program.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Inane, Dec 8 2002
By A Customer
This book was absolutely the most useless book ever. Basically the book tells you to get up with your child, nurse them back to sleep, and keep a log of when they get up during the night. I bought it expecting that I would find a "humane" and "unstressful" way to get my son to sleep. After reading the book and trying to follow what little suggestion was given. I was severely disappointed and still completely sleep deprived.
Not only did it not offer any solutions for getting my son to sleep, it only served to making me feel more guilty for even considering letting my son "cry it out". The whole first chapter is a diatribe on why parents are cruel if they let their child cry at all.
If you really want help your child sleep through night, try Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It is a much more practical approach that actually works. I only wish we had purchased that book first and never wasted our money on this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for us, Aug. 23 2013
Our baby didn't respond to this method but its a good book. If you can't handle crying at all, this would be worth a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far so good, I'm in the middle of the book and ..., May 14 2015
So Far so good, I'm in the middle of the book and the advices the Author gives you are really easy to follow...

1.0 out of 5 stars nothing new, Oct. 16 2002
By A Customer
the book promises to get your baby to sleep through the night - eventually. Well, that might be true. The author has 4 children, but the problems she seemed to have with No. 4 are hard to believe. Did she REALLY not know that you should take your baby to bed when she is tired? Did she REALLY think it is necessary to breastfeed a 10 month old every 2!! hours? Well if you take your baby to bed far too late, if you have no routine and if you think feeding is the only way to make your baby quiet, maybe this is your book.
I am more flexible than that and think most of the ideas in that book would fit on about 3 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Aug. 27 2002
"denay29" (Louisville KY USA) - See all my reviews
A welcome alternative to the awful 'parent directed' technique. This book does not offer a quick fix, and thank goodness, they don't last! This is a sound guide to finding the path that is right for each baby and specific situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A kind book, Oct. 20 2013
This book is kind, gentle and understanding to both mother and baby. There's no strict schedule to try and force your baby into that leaves you feeling like a failure. It's a very easy read and doesn't take too long to read. The book helps you to come to know your unique baby better and do what works for you. The sleep logs are a great reflective tool - I found I was so caught up in what was going on I didn't even know how frequently my baby was waking at night or how many naps he was having during the day. The logs helped me reflect on this and identify where and how we could improve. It does take time to get results, but for me it's worth it to avoid the distress of cry it out techniques. The book really speaks to you as a parent; acknowledges how hard it is to cope with little sleep. It also gently reminds you how precious parenthood is and how important it is to cherish your baby. This book really spoke to me and I feel better connected to my baby having read it. Our sleep continues to improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book, Feb. 22 2012
R. Hansen (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
All new parents will be bombarded with advice about how they should get their children to sleep through the night. You should keep two things in mind as you listen to it: (i) unless you are very lucky, it will take some time for your child to sleep through the night and (ii) many of those parents are lying about how well their children sleep.

All who have ferberized their children will tell you of its wonders. This is chiefly to make themselves feel better about having applied it. I make no judgment of parents who can't face sleepless nights, but I will never accept the idea that ignoring a child's cries for help is healthy for either the child or the parents. And I doubt it is as effective as its proponents claim. I've had many friends who claimed to have successfully ferberized their children only to have do it again and again, after holidays, illnesses, moves, so on.

For those of you who have qualms about letting your child cry himself or herself to sleep, I would strongly recommend Pantley's book. It provides many useful hints, suggests bad habits that are to be avoided, and above all emphasizes that, as difficult as it may seem now, this is a glorious time on which you will eventually look back very fondly. I wholeheartedly recommend this to all new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW SLEEP!, Sept. 2 2006
Wow! I have never come across such a wonderful book! I was having so many problems with my 7 month old daughter....then I read Elizabeth Pantley's "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" Book. Not only is my daughter sleeping almost all night, so am I! I was going months literally on NO SLEEP! I didn't want to let my daughter cry it out, not only because I think it's cruel, but I just moved back into my parents house and our room is above theirs. I tried the whole co-sleeping too, but she was still getting up a few times a night. But when I read the book, I have gotten my daughter back in her crib, sleeping the whole night except for maybe 1 or 2 times when she kicks off her covers, or I wake her up coming to bed. I can't stress enough how awesome it is to finally get some rest! Not only is the book the greatest thing, but also the author! I had written her an e-mail regarding my daughter...telling her how much I couldn't wait to read her book. She wrote me back giving me ideas and also some other websites to read until I could get the book. How cool is that? I never expected that to happen, but in the end, I've gotten to read the absolute best baby sleep book out there, and personally got ideas from the author. This is something I will be sharing with everyone I know!

‹ Previous | 134 35 3641 | Next ›