5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book...
Published on March 31 2009 by Dylan's Mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
But Pantley has obviously never met my kid, a 12 mo old baby girl. These didn't work for her. I don't believe they're bad ideas, they're just not suited for my child.
I gave this book 3 stars, because I do believe that it's best to try everything else before resorting to a...
Published on Feb. 29 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally something that works for us!, Nov. 29 2011
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
I got this book about 3 weeks ago. What interested me was the no-cry part, because my 4 month-old daughter was sleeping quite well but cried a lot before falling sleep. I had been told that it was normal, that some babies need to cry themselves to sleep. Well I couldn't stand it anymore! I loved the book and applied lots of the tips in it. Now not only does my daughter fall asleep without crying, but she takes longer naps and wonderful 12 hours nights!! I wasn't expecting that, but I am sooo happy :) I think everyone can benefit from it, since it is very flexible. Thank you Elizabeth!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love this book!, July 9 2011
Every parent will benefit from this book. My daughter doesn't love to sleep and we've been struggling with long nights and cat naps from 2 months old up until now (6 months old). I've read LOTS of books on sleep, suggestions etc. This book is better than the Baby Whisperer BECASUE it involves no tears. I feel very strongly about attachment parenting and avoiding crying babies and this book just "feels" right. It isn't an overnight fix...it doesn't change your sleep world in a week BUT if you follow the tips and plans set out your child will start sleeping better in the first couple of weeks. The gentle suggestions are just what our family needed and night time and naps are getting much easier :) Thank you thank you Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, Feb. 21 2011
Very helpful in that in gave me lots of confidence that gentle methods do work. Took us about 1.5 weeks to get our 10 month old daughter to sleep through the night. Up to that point I did not care that she woke up during the night to feed (2-3 times) as we co-slept. However, upcoming work travel was going to make that impossible in the future. I wanted to ease her into it gently. This book pointed out some obvious things that we could do better in our go-go-go lifestyle. For example, for naps, be more diligent at bringing the energy level down through a consistent relaxing routine prior to the nap, regardless of the specific time, when the tell tale signs of sleepiness occurred.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far (plus an update in 2013), Feb. 12 2011
My baby is only 2 1/2 weeks old, but I like what I've read so far and I'm excited to try out the tips for sleeping through the night ... just not yet ... my baby is too young and needs to eat every 2 hours or more at the moment. I'm happy with getting up at night to meet her needs at the moment .... I'm enjoying this time with her. One thing that has helped so far is following the advice for getting her to sleep on her own without the need for her to be in my arms or at the breast in order to fall asleep. So YAY, that tip has worked! I can't believe she can stay in her own crib and fall asleep on her own sometimes (sometimes I just like to snuggle her until she falls asleep).

UPDATE .....
My child is now 2 years old, and WOW, was this book ever helpful!!! I followed the advice according to how I felt it was best for my child, and my child started sleeping through the night as soon as she turned 4 months old. She has NEVER gotten up crying in the night since then (and not even for a feeding)!!!! She has a routine we follow for bed time and she LOVES it!!! She never complains about going to bed, and she never cries going to bed ... she enjoys her bedtime routine so much that she looks forward to going to bed! She goes to sleep without us in her room and wakes up talking and singing in the morning (and not too early either). Are we just fortunate to have such a wonderful child, or did the advice in this book really help? Well, we believe the advice in this book helped us immensely! We give our daughter love and respect, and she responds well to that. I definitely recommend this book to any parent!! It's better to read it at the beginning (i.e. before your child is born) so you are ready to respond to new situations before they get out of control.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good rescource, Jan. 21 2011
K. Parker (Canada) - See all my reviews
Elizabeth Pantley's book is full of helpful hints and advice for parents that really want to find ways to get their baby to sleep without having them cry it out. I did get a lot of good information out of this book and used many of her suggestions. In the end, after a month and a half of trying, we did let our son cry it out, using her "at the end of your rope" suggestion on page 211.
If you have the patience and the stamina to survive, this is a great book and I would reccomend it.

Also helpful was chapter 11 which reviews what to do if your baby is starting to sleep and you still aren't. I think this is a very common problem with new moms and it is nice to have it addressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible and worthwhile book to read, Sept. 22 2010
The 'No Cry Sleep Solution' is a beautifully honest account of how Elizabeth gently managed sleep problems with her four children. It is often not until we become parents ourselves that we realise the pressures today's society puts on us to parent in ways we instinctively feel as mothers are not right. This book provides comfort and reassurance to parents at a time when many of those around them may think they are wrong or strange for the way they parent. Particularly for the many mothers who enjoy the intimate and irreplaceable experience of having their child sleep with them in their bed. This book is worth all parents reading, including those who feel they would like to try a method that involves crying. Thank you Elizabeth for putting into words what so many of us would have liked to say.

Dr Natasha Duncan-Sutherland
Auckland, New Zealand

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS!!, Sept. 15 2010
This book is absolutely wonderful and it works! My son was not sleeping well, waking up every night, sometimes for hours at a time. He wouldn't fall asleep without a parent in the room. We were exhausted, frustrated and hopeless. The only advice we were being given was to let our little boy 'cry it out'; something I could not do. Thankfully there is a book that helps sleep deprived parents come up with a custom plan to help their child sleep better. There are tips that help everyone and tips specific to each child. After ONE WEEK of following our sleep plan our son was sleeping through the night. BUY this book, READ it and STICK TO YOUR PLAN and hopefully you will have the success and sleep filled nights our family has. I also highly recommend the "No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers" and the "No-Cry Discipline Solution".

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Sleep Book You Need, Sept. 10 2010
Mrs. B (Denton, TX United States) - See all my reviews
We found this book after two VERY long weeks of our six week old waking every 1 1/2 to 2 hours each night. As first time parents, we were at our wits end, silly with sleep deprivation, and generally unsure of what to do to improve our situation. Although we are not on the extreme attachment parenting side of things, we also knew it was out of the question for us to let him cry-it-out...so we began researching alternative "sleep training" (for lack of a better term) methods. We found this book, which is truly a great middle ground among all the baby sleep books that are out there. We did the 10 day sleep log and began immediately implementing a routine, making our home more conducive to "sleepytime" in the evenings. Our baby is now almost 4 months old and he regularly sleeps 5-6 hours solid at the beginning of the night, wakes to eat, and then goes back to sleep for another 3-4 hours. He knows when his bedtime is, and it is so apparent that the routine and the other methods we utilized from this book have given him as much peace and comfort as they have us. This book has the most common-sense, compassionate approach of any we have found to date - and yet it is not a one-size-fits-all system. We took the ideas that worked for us as two full-time working, first-time parents and created our own sleep routine. The ideas you implement from this book might be different but, as long as you are consistent (especially in those first few weeks), you will see results. Get this book - you will NOT regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, Aug. 10 2010
My daughter was 4 months old when I read this book and it really changed my life:
She was waking 6 or 8 times at night (since she was born). I thought that after the 3rd month things would be different, but no. I was so sleep deprived that I could not have a functional life. My self-esteem was in the floor because during the day I only wanted to sleep so my image was always the same (in pajamas day and night!). My daughter's naps were a mess too so I had no certainty of anything; each day was crazy without any routine. When my husband came after work, he found a very sleep deprived wife, which couldn't have an adult conversation with him. Just grumpy all day.

This book was a revelation for me. I understood the basics of baby's sleep, and the importance of nap and routines. After 2 months of following Pantley's methodology my baby began to sleep through the night. Now I am really enjoying my motherhood because I am rested, I have the energy to play with her the next day!. I recovered my time with my husband, and I have time for myself too. I am a functional mom, wife and woman because my baby and I have routines. And even when she is teething she sleeps through the night. BELIEVE IT, IT IS POSSIBLE WITHOUT CRYING!.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are frustrated about sleep, please read this book, July 8 2010
I highly recommend this book - I think if you only read one baby sleep book, this should be it. It changed my attitude from being so frustrated and resentful about not getting much sleep, to realizing that there ARE things I can do to help us all get more sleep that don't involve letting my daughter cry, which I never want to do. I love how there is a "menu" of lots of different ideas and you can just pick and choose the ones that work for you. The author never says you HAVE to try any one thing in order for her plan to help you. Don't be fooled by the words "solution" or "plan" - to me those words sound like it's going to try to be one-size-fits-all, but it's not at all like that. Reading this book gives me strength to stick to my convictions about not letting babies cry alone. A great resource for sensitive parents.

CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96