5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book...
Published on March 31 2009 by Dylan's Mummy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I expected
This book complicates the whole process.
I also found that the author repeated herself over and over again. I may be sleep deprived, but I am not an idiot.
Published on June 27 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, it works!, April 30 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
I didn' think it would. My son was 2 months old when I used the suggestions in Ms. Pantley's book. Since he was a newborn, I was starting from scratch. I had used a certain "crying it out" method with my eldest daughter and was a complete and absolute wreck! I had no trouble easing my son into "good" sleep habits after reading this book. The friendly and warm tone of the book made it easy to read and understand. It takes time and patience but it is well worth it. My now almost 2-year-old still has no problems falling asleep for naps or bedtime! Ms. Pantley is an angel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening the tired parent, April 30 2002
The minute I held my daughter for the first time, I knew I was in for a hell of a ride. She was cranky, never slept normally, constantly hungry...you name it. My milk didnt come in that easily the first few weeks, I had sever anxiety and depression and on top of that I hadnt slept a wink in weeks.
Now any parent who can relate to the above paragraph knows how tiring it can be to run around 24/7, feeding, changing and soothing your child. After a long day, you just want to get some Sleeeeeeep!
I found this book ( and Elizabeths tips ) to be very useful. Elizabeth Pantley knows that there is going to be diversity in every family. She came up with a clever way of taking "Test Mommies" experiences and incorporated them right into her book.
That way, every parent can relate on there own level.
As I read further into the book, I realized there isnt going to be just one approach to putting your child to sleep. The No-Cry Sleep Solution helped me develop a sense of comfort and routine. I suggest this book to anyone who is in need of a better solution to their childrens sleep habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanity Returns to Bedtime, April 20 2002
By A Customer
Pantley's method is at least as effective as the cry-it-out method, and it does none of the damage caused by the cry-it-out method.
This is an excellent, clearly written book. It is also part of a new genre of books that teach us how to protect our relationships with our children while getting them to behave. The finest example of this approach is probably Lawrence Kelemen's TO KINDLE A SOUL, but others are appearing on the market now. See Kelemen's book to see how Pantley's approach can be used in all areas of childraising.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really helped!, April 17 2002
K. J. DellAntonia "raisingdevils.com" (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
My 9 month old was sleeping only in 1.5-2 hour chunks. We've just started with the no-cry program and it's already helping dramatically. He's going 5-6 hours after only a few days and I really believe it's going to keep getting better--I can see the difference in the way he falls asleep and when I see him toss and turn and go back to sleep. I am so greatful to Elizabeth Pantley for useable, practical suggestions for those of us who just don't believe the Farber approach will work for our children. I'll be recommending this book wholeheartedly every chance I get.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Relief!!!!, April 12 2002
Shay (Northern CA) - See all my reviews
When I discovered Elizabeth my dd was waking 10+ times a night, every night, whether she was in my bed or her crib. She was in my bed because I needed to get SOME sleep as she would nurse for 20 minutes every time she woke up. Using Elizabeth's methods I got her to sleep for 6-7 hours in her crib and then brought her into bed with me for the rest of the night. I could have worked through that last waking, but I enjoyed the cuddle time so I didn't worry about it. The difference in my daughter and I after we finally were sleeping was tremendous. It worked for us, and with all of her ideas it will work for you too. The best part is there is no crying involved! I highly recommend this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Might Not Be Right For An Attachment Parenting Family, April 25 2002
I bought this book because I'm one of those moms who really hasn't slept in years due to children who wake very frequently. I'm very interested in a sleep solution that will help my children sleep. We use "Attachment Parenting" and were told that this book was very AP oriented.
This book was not as helpful as I had hoped, and was not as AP oriented as I would have liked. My major concerns are these:
1. The author gives very strong encouragement to introduce a "lovey" to get baby attached to, so baby can be comforted by lovey instead of mom. She even goes so far as to recommend putting the lovey *between* mom and baby when nursing, cuddling etc. [very symbolic IMO!] This really bugs me... I feel so strongly that our babies should be learning to attach to people, not things. I am truly, deeply uncomfortable with the idea of trying to force my child to become attached to an object so that he will be comforted by that object instead of me.
2. While not anti-family bed, she does basically say in the second half of the book that if you are co-sleeping you will have more nightwaking. She has a whole section on "transitioning your baby to a crib" and comparatively little on helping a baby/child cosleep and sleep soundly. She also says something to the effect that you can cosleep as long as you want, but that you should be prepared to endure more night waking if you do cosleep. None of the benefits of cosleeping were covered at all. I really kind of felt like cosleeping was being blamed as a cause of night waking and I don't really think that's true - I've seen too much anecdotal evidence of my cosleeping friends who have children who sleep 10 or 12 hours straight right there beside them.
3. Similarly, breastfeeding is sort of pointed to as a cause of night waking. Yes, a breastfed baby does wake more often to eat. But this book places _no_ value judgement on breast or bottle feeding - never once does she even note "though breastfed babies wake more often to eat, many mothers feel that the benefits of breastmilk over formula outweigh this factor by a huge measure" or anything like that. A new mom reading this book could *easily* think "well, I should just switch to a bottle and then I'll get some sleep!". I'm so uncomfortable with that. [And there are plenty of breastfed babies that DO sleep through the night after they are through the newborn stage].
4. There is very strong encouragement to put baby on a schedule. She emphasizes a "flexible schedule". I really hate to point this out, but I've read _Babywise_ several times ["know thy enemy"] and Ezzo's language is almost identical - he emphasizes what he calls a "flexible schedule". In fact, several things in this book echoed Babywise to my brain, which may account for my discomfort [justified or not justified!]. Not that I'm totally against a schedule, but as an AP parent I really think it is more useful to watch baby's cues...
5. There is strong discouragement from holding a sleeping baby. Pantley says this is undoubtedly a cause of nightwaking and should only be done very rarely if at all [for "special moments", but not as a routine]. I have enjoyed holding both my children as they slept for naps - its one of my favorite things - and if I have to give that up to get them to sleep at night, then I guess I just won't be sleeping until they are off to college or whatever. In my mind, this book absolutely & strongly contradicts the AP tradition of carrying baby in a soft carrier much of the time.
6. I also didn't like the whole section on training your baby to go back to sleep in the crib without you. It outlines a bunch of steps that begins with "pick him up", later you stop picking up and just place a hand on his back, then you just speak to him, then you speak to him from outside the door but don't go in, etc. This sounds much like Ferber sleep training to me, just minus the crying [and taking longer to acheive the same goal].
7. I felt like the author gave a lot of lip service to the "needs" of babies and how and why they wake, etc in the first half of the book [I was truly impressed in fact]. But then she totally disregards those things in the second half of her book under her "solutions" chapters. She says she is giving ideas to "encourage" baby to sleep [which I liked], but in truth, I really feel that this is just another "sleep training" book, albiet a MUCH nicer alternative to the "cry it out" methods.
Some of her other ideas are very helpful, though we are doing almost everything else she lists already, to no avail.
This book gives a very good explanation of why it is not a good idea to let babies "Cry It Out". I think it would be extremely helpful to families that are struggling with that decision.
This review is not meant as a criticism of *anyone* who uses this method - different things work for different families. I know that many families have had great luck with this program and are very happy with it. But for AP families, I think it is only fair to warn that this might not neccessarily be the answer it is hyped up to be.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inane, Nov. 18 2002
By A Customer
This is the most inane parenting book I have ever read. It lacks structure and is naive. It is obviously geared to the typical American couple that has taken attachment parenting too far and do not mind being in bondage to their baby. If you do not co-sleep with your baby, wear your baby, demand breast feed your baby well into the toddler years, this book isn't for you. This book offers no "in-between" solutions in getting your baby to sleep through the night. You still have to basically "grin and bear it" and get up quite a bit with your baby (even with a twelve month old). And who has time for the never ending sleep logs? Elizabeth Pantley constantly emphasizes never letting your baby cry for even a minute. Well, I have news for her... babies cry even when being rocked and held.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is no Sleep Solution, Jan. 25 2004
Gretchen Wick (Whitefish, MT USA) - See all my reviews
This book promises a new look at the problem of getting your child to sleep through the night - without crying. However, there's nothing new here. All you get with this book is the same old "follow a routine, put your child down for regular naps" deal. There are no guidelines for HOW to put your child down for regular naps - you're just supposed to do it. Somehow your child just isn't going to cry. You know, I'm sure this argument holds water: if your child sleeps well during the day, she'll sleep better at night. I'm not arguing with that, it's just that I've heard it before. This book is a waste of money, and promises solutions that it just doesn't deliver. Here, let me save you $10: follow a regular schedule, ease your child into naptime and bedtime by reading to her, or taking her for a walk, or anything to get her sleepy and used to the idea that it's almost time to sleep. There. Feel better?

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want sleep without tears - read this book!, Aug. 18 2002
I have a fantastic baby boy - but he refused to sleep! He was up every couple of hours breastfeeding through the night. The only suggestions I ever got was to let him cry it out. I couldn't & wouldn't do it. Then I chanced on this book. What a life saver. There are no overnight solutions but now he goes down to bed at 7pm - we have an hours pre bedtime routine and then I put him into his bed and he goes off to sleep on his own. He is up once now in the middle of the night - and just for ten minutes. What a huge difference this has made to me. And all with no tears. I loved this book so much as it didn't dictate or make judgements over sleep arrangments. It just gave lots of ideas and helped me develop a plan that got my wee boy - and me - sleeping. It shows that you really can teach a child good sleep habits without letting him suffering. A great lessons for all parenting!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping 12 hours!, Aug. 13 2002
By A Customer
My baby was waking up 6 to 8 times a night. Everyone told me to use controlled crying but I couldn't do it. This book taught me everything I needed to know to teach my baby how to sleep WITHOUT ANY CRYING. I was a skeptic, but a desperate skeptic, so I got the book and followed the plan. I love the step by step instructions and that it gives you just enough information to put together your own plan for sleep. It took us 3 months to get to 12 hours of sleep, but my friends baby is still waking 6 to 8 times a night and her baby is much older than mine. What's 3 months if it means a full nights sleep for everyone without any crying involved. I'm a believer!

CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96