5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book...
Published on March 31 2009 by Amelia

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
But Pantley has obviously never met my kid, a 12 mo old baby girl. These didn't work for her. I don't believe they're bad ideas, they're just not suited for my child.
I gave this book 3 stars, because I do believe that it's best to try everything else before resorting to a...
Published on Feb. 29 2004

‹ Previous | 134 35 3640 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars nothing new, Oct. 16 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
the book promises to get your baby to sleep through the night - eventually. Well, that might be true. The author has 4 children, but the problems she seemed to have with No. 4 are hard to believe. Did she REALLY not know that you should take your baby to bed when she is tired? Did she REALLY think it is necessary to breastfeed a 10 month old every 2!! hours? Well if you take your baby to bed far too late, if you have no routine and if you think feeding is the only way to make your baby quiet, maybe this is your book.
I am more flexible than that and think most of the ideas in that book would fit on about 3 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Aug. 27 2002
"denay29" (Louisville KY USA) - See all my reviews
A welcome alternative to the awful 'parent directed' technique. This book does not offer a quick fix, and thank goodness, they don't last! This is a sound guide to finding the path that is right for each baby and specific situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A kind book, Oct. 20 2013
This book is kind, gentle and understanding to both mother and baby. There's no strict schedule to try and force your baby into that leaves you feeling like a failure. It's a very easy read and doesn't take too long to read. The book helps you to come to know your unique baby better and do what works for you. The sleep logs are a great reflective tool - I found I was so caught up in what was going on I didn't even know how frequently my baby was waking at night or how many naps he was having during the day. The logs helped me reflect on this and identify where and how we could improve. It does take time to get results, but for me it's worth it to avoid the distress of cry it out techniques. The book really speaks to you as a parent; acknowledges how hard it is to cope with little sleep. It also gently reminds you how precious parenthood is and how important it is to cherish your baby. This book really spoke to me and I feel better connected to my baby having read it. Our sleep continues to improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book, Feb. 22 2012
R. Hansen (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
All new parents will be bombarded with advice about how they should get their children to sleep through the night. You should keep two things in mind as you listen to it: (i) unless you are very lucky, it will take some time for your child to sleep through the night and (ii) many of those parents are lying about how well their children sleep.

All who have ferberized their children will tell you of its wonders. This is chiefly to make themselves feel better about having applied it. I make no judgment of parents who can't face sleepless nights, but I will never accept the idea that ignoring a child's cries for help is healthy for either the child or the parents. And I doubt it is as effective as its proponents claim. I've had many friends who claimed to have successfully ferberized their children only to have do it again and again, after holidays, illnesses, moves, so on.

For those of you who have qualms about letting your child cry himself or herself to sleep, I would strongly recommend Pantley's book. It provides many useful hints, suggests bad habits that are to be avoided, and above all emphasizes that, as difficult as it may seem now, this is a glorious time on which you will eventually look back very fondly. I wholeheartedly recommend this to all new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW SLEEP!, Sept. 2 2006
Wow! I have never come across such a wonderful book! I was having so many problems with my 7 month old daughter....then I read Elizabeth Pantley's "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" Book. Not only is my daughter sleeping almost all night, so am I! I was going months literally on NO SLEEP! I didn't want to let my daughter cry it out, not only because I think it's cruel, but I just moved back into my parents house and our room is above theirs. I tried the whole co-sleeping too, but she was still getting up a few times a night. But when I read the book, I have gotten my daughter back in her crib, sleeping the whole night except for maybe 1 or 2 times when she kicks off her covers, or I wake her up coming to bed. I can't stress enough how awesome it is to finally get some rest! Not only is the book the greatest thing, but also the author! I had written her an e-mail regarding my daughter...telling her how much I couldn't wait to read her book. She wrote me back giving me ideas and also some other websites to read until I could get the book. How cool is that? I never expected that to happen, but in the end, I've gotten to read the absolute best baby sleep book out there, and personally got ideas from the author. This is something I will be sharing with everyone I know!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best sleep book I have ever read!, Oct. 13 2002
And I've read them all! I have three boys; age 6, 4 1/2 and 13 months. I could never let any of them cry it out and I spent many hours worrying over whether or not I was "ruining" them by not "making them learn to sleep on their own".
This book is one of the very few (Dr. Sears books are the other ones) that helped me to feel validated in my longing to just be a mom 24 hours a day/7 days a week, not just when it was convenient for me or "time" to be. The fact that Mrs. Pantley has done some work with Dr. Sears helped me to know that "the no-cry sleep solution" book was going to be one filled with loving, gentle advice. And, boy was it ever! I really can't recommend it highly enough!

I AM a little tired, and my 13 month old is not the best sleeper, so I am trying some of the solutions in this book. I am glad, however, that I am not feeling the pressure to let my baby cry it out that I felt when I read several other books on the subject. Not many of them applaud the philosophies of co-sleeping or nursing long term. I know in my heart that co-sleeping and nursing is not a "bad habit" but society dumps that pressure on moms not to do it. This book is very encouraging for moms who DO nurse during the night and let their babies sleep with them. What a breath of fresh air!
This is the only book I have read so far that offers useful but gentle advice and gives the parent "permission" to not let their child cry it out all night.
Not only books I have read, but grandparents, other Christian friends, even my pediatrician's office staff, all seem to give me the "guilts" when I admit I am not physically able to let my kids cry it out. It literally makes me sick to my stomach. And I know that "this too shall pass" and I will miss those magical middle of the night hours when I can just breathe in his baby smells and watch him nurse in his sleep. This book also helped me to put that into perspective.

I especially loved the comparison to Mrs. Pantley's sweet son and the other baby at the ballpark. I will treasure that anecdote always because it puts into words so eloquently what I have felt in my heart when I see a "well-behaved" baby who's parents are practicing "detachment parenting" and I feel compelled to compare how our children act.
I will be reading all of Elizabeth Pantley's books to help me be a better mommy to my precious children.

5.0 out of 5 stars every parent should read this, Sept. 25 2002
By A Customer
I can't believe I only came across this book by chance -- what a treasure! This book is very effective and fills a huge need for parents who want sleep but are not happy with the cry it out approach. After a month of following this book's advice, I've gotten my 15-month old to sleep for a 6-hour stretch for the first time in his life, and I am optimistic that we will continue to see progress. Pantley demonstrates that there is a real alternative to the cry it out methods -- it may require more patience in the beginning, but I know from a lot of parents who've followed the cry it out method that it can be a continual struggle to maintain the sleep habits they've gotten through that method. I'm certain it can't be good for a baby to be left crying for hours at a time or even for short periods before every nap, and this book shows that it's not necessary.
I've seen other books that recommend gently encouraging your baby to fall asleep on his/her own in the crib, but only Pantley gives you the extremely detailed and concrete advice that can help you accomplish this with a baby who seems like s/he will never tolerate being put down while awake.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoying sleep, Sept. 20 2002
By A Customer
I love this book. At 10 weeks my son was waking in the middle of the night but not taking his bottle. He would cry until someone came and picked him up. The minute he was picked up he would fall to sleep. This was odd considering he only did this at 3am. I figured he was waking up more out of habit then anything else. I first tried the "Cry It Out" approach. I would let him cry, check on him after 15-20 minutes, calm him down, leave, and start the cycle again. This went on for about 3 hours. I read this book and decided to put some of the ideas to use keeping in mind that maybe baby wasn't ready for all this. Within 1 week he was sleeping from 10:30pm until 5am. He would eat at 5am and go back down until 8:30am. What a huge difference. And neither one of us cried through the entire experiment.
What also helped was using the pattern of eat, awake time, then sleep time as described in Babywise.
Before reading this book it is important to make sure that you do have a good idea of your baby's sleeping and eating habits. Also, check with your doctor first to make sure this is a realistic expectation for the age of your child.
For clarification, I do think it is okay to let your child cry it out sometimes. But at 3am nobody wants to hear baby and mom crying out of a deep desire to sleep
I have recommended this book (and a grain of salt) to many new moms.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing, Sept. 17 2002
Betty Tehrani (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This book saved my world!! My daughter was waking up every 45 minutes for months. She nursed all night long. I was a walking zombie!! Nothing was working and everyone insisted I had to let her cry. I finally did and she vomited all over her crib. I vowed I would never do that again. I finally found out about this book. I did a couple of things and she went to every 3 hours within a week. I didn't feel like I could really structure my days around her naps and I had a hard time with the bedtime ritual. Finally I realized I had to try. I followed everything she said and it has changed our lives. We are more organized. She naps like a champ!! 2 hours everyday. It used to be whenever she fell alseep in the car and would sleep max 45 minutes. She also is up to 8 hours straight at night!!! She sleeps 11 1/2 total, so only 1 wake up. She has recovered quickly when we travel. She is now 14 months old and it really didn't take long. I can't say enough about this book. You must trust it and do exactly what she says! It will work I promise!! I tell everyone I can about this so no child endures the traumatic crying sessions. This book proves they don't have to.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's Sleeping! She's Sleeping!, April 11 2002
Janette (Lawrence, KS USA) - See all my reviews
Before I found this book, I was a nursing mom to an 8 month old who woke up 10+ times a night. The frequent night waking was really starting to get to me, and I could tell that it was also taking a toll on my daughter.
After I read the book, I immediately put into practice many of the suggestions described in the book. We noticed an immediate reduction in her night wakings. Then, we hit many snags such as several colds, teething, growth spurts etc. I was almost ready to give up! But, I kept with it, and now, my daughter is sleeping through the night. Her naps have also improved from two 20-30 min naps, to two 75+ minute naps. I can tell that my daughter feels so much better, and so do I.
This book is great because it offers many suggestions to try. It is not a cookie cutter approach, because you tailor the ideas to your baby and your life. Elizabeth offers suggestions to help crib sleepers, AND also co-sleepers. She describes how she was able to get her son to sleep through, while continuing to co-sleep and breastfeed. It is so refreshing to read a "sleep book" by someone who has been in the depths of sleep deprivation. She knows what she is talking about, and what you are going through, because she's been there herself.
Elizabeth's gentle methods and suggestions are not a quick fix. It will take some time, but the results are well worth the patience. There is no need to let your baby cry it out.
The best part about this book is the hope that Elizabeth offers. When you are sleep deprived and getting up every hour or so, everything seems bleak. Elizabeth book is filled with hope and success stories. Your baby WILL sleep through the night!
Thank you Elizabeth! You have given me back my sanity and my life!

‹ Previous | 134 35 3640 | Next ›