5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book...
Published on March 31 2009 by Amelia

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
But Pantley has obviously never met my kid, a 12 mo old baby girl. These didn't work for her. I don't believe they're bad ideas, they're just not suited for my child.
I gave this book 3 stars, because I do believe that it's best to try everything else before resorting to a...
Published on Feb. 29 2004

‹ Previous | 134 35 3639 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the best sleep book I have ever read!, Oct. 13 2002
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
And I've read them all! I have three boys; age 6, 4 1/2 and 13 months. I could never let any of them cry it out and I spent many hours worrying over whether or not I was "ruining" them by not "making them learn to sleep on their own".
This book is one of the very few (Dr. Sears books are the other ones) that helped me to feel validated in my longing to just be a mom 24 hours a day/7 days a week, not just when it was convenient for me or "time" to be. The fact that Mrs. Pantley has done some work with Dr. Sears helped me to know that "the no-cry sleep solution" book was going to be one filled with loving, gentle advice. And, boy was it ever! I really can't recommend it highly enough!

I AM a little tired, and my 13 month old is not the best sleeper, so I am trying some of the solutions in this book. I am glad, however, that I am not feeling the pressure to let my baby cry it out that I felt when I read several other books on the subject. Not many of them applaud the philosophies of co-sleeping or nursing long term. I know in my heart that co-sleeping and nursing is not a "bad habit" but society dumps that pressure on moms not to do it. This book is very encouraging for moms who DO nurse during the night and let their babies sleep with them. What a breath of fresh air!
This is the only book I have read so far that offers useful but gentle advice and gives the parent "permission" to not let their child cry it out all night.
Not only books I have read, but grandparents, other Christian friends, even my pediatrician's office staff, all seem to give me the "guilts" when I admit I am not physically able to let my kids cry it out. It literally makes me sick to my stomach. And I know that "this too shall pass" and I will miss those magical middle of the night hours when I can just breathe in his baby smells and watch him nurse in his sleep. This book also helped me to put that into perspective.

I especially loved the comparison to Mrs. Pantley's sweet son and the other baby at the ballpark. I will treasure that anecdote always because it puts into words so eloquently what I have felt in my heart when I see a "well-behaved" baby who's parents are practicing "detachment parenting" and I feel compelled to compare how our children act.
I will be reading all of Elizabeth Pantley's books to help me be a better mommy to my precious children.

5.0 out of 5 stars every parent should read this, Sept. 25 2002
By A Customer
I can't believe I only came across this book by chance -- what a treasure! This book is very effective and fills a huge need for parents who want sleep but are not happy with the cry it out approach. After a month of following this book's advice, I've gotten my 15-month old to sleep for a 6-hour stretch for the first time in his life, and I am optimistic that we will continue to see progress. Pantley demonstrates that there is a real alternative to the cry it out methods -- it may require more patience in the beginning, but I know from a lot of parents who've followed the cry it out method that it can be a continual struggle to maintain the sleep habits they've gotten through that method. I'm certain it can't be good for a baby to be left crying for hours at a time or even for short periods before every nap, and this book shows that it's not necessary.
I've seen other books that recommend gently encouraging your baby to fall asleep on his/her own in the crib, but only Pantley gives you the extremely detailed and concrete advice that can help you accomplish this with a baby who seems like s/he will never tolerate being put down while awake.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoying sleep, Sept. 20 2002
By A Customer
I love this book. At 10 weeks my son was waking in the middle of the night but not taking his bottle. He would cry until someone came and picked him up. The minute he was picked up he would fall to sleep. This was odd considering he only did this at 3am. I figured he was waking up more out of habit then anything else. I first tried the "Cry It Out" approach. I would let him cry, check on him after 15-20 minutes, calm him down, leave, and start the cycle again. This went on for about 3 hours. I read this book and decided to put some of the ideas to use keeping in mind that maybe baby wasn't ready for all this. Within 1 week he was sleeping from 10:30pm until 5am. He would eat at 5am and go back down until 8:30am. What a huge difference. And neither one of us cried through the entire experiment.
What also helped was using the pattern of eat, awake time, then sleep time as described in Babywise.
Before reading this book it is important to make sure that you do have a good idea of your baby's sleeping and eating habits. Also, check with your doctor first to make sure this is a realistic expectation for the age of your child.
For clarification, I do think it is okay to let your child cry it out sometimes. But at 3am nobody wants to hear baby and mom crying out of a deep desire to sleep
I have recommended this book (and a grain of salt) to many new moms.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing, Sept. 17 2002
Betty Tehrani (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This book saved my world!! My daughter was waking up every 45 minutes for months. She nursed all night long. I was a walking zombie!! Nothing was working and everyone insisted I had to let her cry. I finally did and she vomited all over her crib. I vowed I would never do that again. I finally found out about this book. I did a couple of things and she went to every 3 hours within a week. I didn't feel like I could really structure my days around her naps and I had a hard time with the bedtime ritual. Finally I realized I had to try. I followed everything she said and it has changed our lives. We are more organized. She naps like a champ!! 2 hours everyday. It used to be whenever she fell alseep in the car and would sleep max 45 minutes. She also is up to 8 hours straight at night!!! She sleeps 11 1/2 total, so only 1 wake up. She has recovered quickly when we travel. She is now 14 months old and it really didn't take long. I can't say enough about this book. You must trust it and do exactly what she says! It will work I promise!! I tell everyone I can about this so no child endures the traumatic crying sessions. This book proves they don't have to.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's Sleeping! She's Sleeping!, April 11 2002
Janette (Lawrence, KS USA) - See all my reviews
Before I found this book, I was a nursing mom to an 8 month old who woke up 10+ times a night. The frequent night waking was really starting to get to me, and I could tell that it was also taking a toll on my daughter.
After I read the book, I immediately put into practice many of the suggestions described in the book. We noticed an immediate reduction in her night wakings. Then, we hit many snags such as several colds, teething, growth spurts etc. I was almost ready to give up! But, I kept with it, and now, my daughter is sleeping through the night. Her naps have also improved from two 20-30 min naps, to two 75+ minute naps. I can tell that my daughter feels so much better, and so do I.
This book is great because it offers many suggestions to try. It is not a cookie cutter approach, because you tailor the ideas to your baby and your life. Elizabeth offers suggestions to help crib sleepers, AND also co-sleepers. She describes how she was able to get her son to sleep through, while continuing to co-sleep and breastfeed. It is so refreshing to read a "sleep book" by someone who has been in the depths of sleep deprivation. She knows what she is talking about, and what you are going through, because she's been there herself.
Elizabeth's gentle methods and suggestions are not a quick fix. It will take some time, but the results are well worth the patience. There is no need to let your baby cry it out.
The best part about this book is the hope that Elizabeth offers. When you are sleep deprived and getting up every hour or so, everything seems bleak. Elizabeth book is filled with hope and success stories. Your baby WILL sleep through the night!
Thank you Elizabeth! You have given me back my sanity and my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars The exhausive sleep resource every mom needs, April 13 2002
By A Customer
I don't know what we would have done without this book.
Our son was still waking up every nights - some nights as many as 6 times. He was napping only half hour spotty naps. We followed the plan in this book and tried a number of her ideas. Some I had never heard before and would have never thought of on my own. Before long he was sleeping good long naps on his own and doing much better at night. Now he takes 3 hour naps and sleeps 11 hours at night on average. Everyone is envious of how well he sleeps. What a gift to give your child and yourself - a good nights sleep is best for everyone. It takes some time unlike the cry it out methods but what child isn't worth it. It so much easier to be a mom during the day when you get good sleep at night.
I have recommended this book to over a dozen moms and they are all very thankful and wish they had found it earlier. I wish I had this book when my son was a newborn it could have saved us months of sleepless nights.

1.0 out of 5 stars Common sense and any other sleep book will help you more, June 14 2004
By A Customer
We have had significant sleep issues with our baby. I have read a few books by now and this one was really not worth the money to me. It is a mix of common sense and partly some very odd theories that seem way too self made. No scientific research is quoted to support this method. I bought this book because it was recommended by Dr Sears and I really like The Baby Book. It is hard to find a 'method' that will match all babies. I would recommend the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book. It has been of the most use to us.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!!!, Aug. 18 2002
By A Customer
After nursing and co-sleeping with our Baby from birth to 12 wks, transitioning to a crib was NOT going well. He would wake every hour OR LESS looking for the comfort of Mommy. My husband and I refused to let our son "cry it out". I read this book in one sitting and decided something had to be better than what we were doing. Although I did NOT take the time to log everything the author suggests, I did make mental notes to myself and kept track of our progress. After only a few days, our son started sleeping from 8pm-5am with two 15 min awake period for feeding. Now, after only 3.5 weeks of putting to use the suggestions in this book, he sleeps from 6:30pm to 6:30am with only ONE awakening for food....that's 12 hours with only ONE time up in the night! Our Baby is happy, healthy, and "sleeps like a Baby"...so does Mommy and Daddy!! AND...most importantly...all of this was accomplished without a single tear thanks to "The No-Cry Sleep Solution"!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Need This Book!, July 8 2013
You need this book! As a first time mom, I read alot of books, probably too many. I should have just read this one. Pantley's "the no-cry sleep solution" is fantastic. It is written as a parent to parent conversation, gentle, and without judgment. Regardless of your parenting style, you will find this book helpful. It is written in a logical step-by-step approach, and is very upfront that this is a process and it will take time, but the end result is a transition that is gentle and loving - for everyone. It is well organized and clearly flags tips and tricks and who they might best suit (everyone, breastfeeders, bottle feeders, co-sleepers, etc.). The sleep diary log sheets are very easy to use or modify. In a time where I have lacked confidence and have felt judged by the decisions I have made, this book was a welcome addition to our household. It sits by the couch and the pages are ear marked. Many of them. Get the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love sleep!, Jan. 23 2006
Michelle Chaney (Victoria, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
I honestly feel that this is the best 'sleep' book available to parents. In my sleep deprived/obsessed phase, I read everything I could get my hands on in the search for sleep. This book provided the most practical and reassuring advice that actually worked without scaring me or making me feel guilty that I was doing something horribly wrong because my son was not a good sleeper. In addition, I found the content to be clear, concise and well organized without a lot of scientific jargon to bog down the main points. I was able to keep a copy by my bed side (for the relatively little time that I was actually in bed!) to read applicable sections bit by bit. As a result, I didn't feel overwhelmed, and was able to apply what I was learning at my own pace. I will always keep a copy of this book close at hand to remind me of how far we've come. There may just even be another baby in our future!

‹ Previous | 134 35 3639 | Next ›