5.0 out of 5 stars We're all sleeping now - at last! This is a great book.
My 23-month-old (still breastfed) son has just now started sleeping through from 8:30 pm to 7 am, every night. He's sleeping well because he's happy, comforted, comfortable, and secure - not out of exhaustion & frustration. We never did "let him cry it out", and were convinced there had to be a gentle, loving way to help him learn to sleep well - there is, and this book...
Published on March 31 2009 by Dylan's Mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet another "expert" who's never met *my* kid!
Pantley has a number of good ideas for parents to try to help their baby sleep.
But Pantley has obviously never met my kid, a 12 mo old baby girl. These didn't work for her. I don't believe they're bad ideas, they're just not suited for my child.
I gave this book 3 stars, because I do believe that it's best to try everything else before resorting to a...
Published on Feb. 29 2004

‹ Previous | 134 35 3639 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars She's Sleeping! She's Sleeping!, April 11 2002
Janette (Lawrence, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
Before I found this book, I was a nursing mom to an 8 month old who woke up 10+ times a night. The frequent night waking was really starting to get to me, and I could tell that it was also taking a toll on my daughter.
After I read the book, I immediately put into practice many of the suggestions described in the book. We noticed an immediate reduction in her night wakings. Then, we hit many snags such as several colds, teething, growth spurts etc. I was almost ready to give up! But, I kept with it, and now, my daughter is sleeping through the night. Her naps have also improved from two 20-30 min naps, to two 75+ minute naps. I can tell that my daughter feels so much better, and so do I.
This book is great because it offers many suggestions to try. It is not a cookie cutter approach, because you tailor the ideas to your baby and your life. Elizabeth offers suggestions to help crib sleepers, AND also co-sleepers. She describes how she was able to get her son to sleep through, while continuing to co-sleep and breastfeed. It is so refreshing to read a "sleep book" by someone who has been in the depths of sleep deprivation. She knows what she is talking about, and what you are going through, because she's been there herself.
Elizabeth's gentle methods and suggestions are not a quick fix. It will take some time, but the results are well worth the patience. There is no need to let your baby cry it out.
The best part about this book is the hope that Elizabeth offers. When you are sleep deprived and getting up every hour or so, everything seems bleak. Elizabeth book is filled with hope and success stories. Your baby WILL sleep through the night!
Thank you Elizabeth! You have given me back my sanity and my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars The exhausive sleep resource every mom needs, April 13 2002
By A Customer
I don't know what we would have done without this book.
Our son was still waking up every nights - some nights as many as 6 times. He was napping only half hour spotty naps. We followed the plan in this book and tried a number of her ideas. Some I had never heard before and would have never thought of on my own. Before long he was sleeping good long naps on his own and doing much better at night. Now he takes 3 hour naps and sleeps 11 hours at night on average. Everyone is envious of how well he sleeps. What a gift to give your child and yourself - a good nights sleep is best for everyone. It takes some time unlike the cry it out methods but what child isn't worth it. It so much easier to be a mom during the day when you get good sleep at night.
I have recommended this book to over a dozen moms and they are all very thankful and wish they had found it earlier. I wish I had this book when my son was a newborn it could have saved us months of sleepless nights.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!!!, Aug. 18 2002
By A Customer
After nursing and co-sleeping with our Baby from birth to 12 wks, transitioning to a crib was NOT going well. He would wake every hour OR LESS looking for the comfort of Mommy. My husband and I refused to let our son "cry it out". I read this book in one sitting and decided something had to be better than what we were doing. Although I did NOT take the time to log everything the author suggests, I did make mental notes to myself and kept track of our progress. After only a few days, our son started sleeping from 8pm-5am with two 15 min awake period for feeding. Now, after only 3.5 weeks of putting to use the suggestions in this book, he sleeps from 6:30pm to 6:30am with only ONE awakening for food....that's 12 hours with only ONE time up in the night! Our Baby is happy, healthy, and "sleeps like a Baby"...so does Mommy and Daddy!! AND...most importantly...all of this was accomplished without a single tear thanks to "The No-Cry Sleep Solution"!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love sleep!, Jan. 23 2006
Michelle Chaney (Victoria, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
I honestly feel that this is the best 'sleep' book available to parents. In my sleep deprived/obsessed phase, I read everything I could get my hands on in the search for sleep. This book provided the most practical and reassuring advice that actually worked without scaring me or making me feel guilty that I was doing something horribly wrong because my son was not a good sleeper. In addition, I found the content to be clear, concise and well organized without a lot of scientific jargon to bog down the main points. I was able to keep a copy by my bed side (for the relatively little time that I was actually in bed!) to read applicable sections bit by bit. As a result, I didn't feel overwhelmed, and was able to apply what I was learning at my own pace. I will always keep a copy of this book close at hand to remind me of how far we've come. There may just even be another baby in our future!

1.0 out of 5 stars The premise is all wrong, June 21 2003
First, let's define the problem: Everyone who is reading this page right now is trying to figure out how best to get their baby to sleep through the night.
All books (and this one is no exception) advocate one of two approaches to this problem. Lets call those approaches the "easy way" and the "hard way." This book warns you to beware the easy way (known by attachment parenting fanatics as letting your baby "cry it out") because it MIGHT result in some severe and irreversible psychological trauma to your child. Instead, you should adopt the hard way--keep going to your baby whenever he cries until he is off to college or joins the marines.
Nearly every parent out there who is physically and psychically exhausted from a child who won't sleep at night would follow the "easy way" in a heartbeat if they knew that it would not be traumatic for the baby. These are not heartless parents. Far from it. They are loving parents who understand that everyone in the family--mommy, daddy, and baby--need their sleep to survive and develop.
And here the not-so-secret" secret which will allow you to toss Pantley's book in the garbage where it belongs: there is absolutely no scientific evidence that permitting your baby to cry for three or four nights (until he learns to associate sleep with conditions that he can create) will result in any psychlogical injury. Anyone who tells you differently is at best ignorant or at worst trying to manipulate your emotions. Babies--just like the rest of us--cry for all sorts of reasons. Mine, for instance, cried at night for her pacifier. She wasn't "hopeless" or "desparate to be held" as Pantley says. In fact, she just got more agitated when we came into the room. She just hadn't yet learned to sleep without her pacifier (a problem, because she would spit it out throughout the night and we would have to keep returning and placing it in her mouth). After two nights of crying, she learned to put herself to sleep without the pacifier. Now, she controls all the conditions for her sleep, and sleeps just like a baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 27 2014
Very helpful info to ensure your child gets to sleep and sleep through the night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, long-term results, Jan. 21 2008
I first used the ideas from this book with my daughter, who has special needs. The moment I picked up the book, it made so much sense to me--to change a habit carefully, step by step, rather than trying to quit what we'd been doing since birth "cold turkey." It took several months of patient work, but it was worth it. Every book I read tells me that children with her needs generally sleep poorly, but my daughter sleeps all night, every night. She is well-rested and that makes her better able to face her challenges and learn and grow. Since my son was born I haven't worried about his sleep because I knew I could count on this book--and indeed, he is also learning how to sleep well. With patience, this book provides excellent long-term results and many peaceful nights.

2.0 out of 5 stars What About Working Mothers?, July 15 2002
By A Customer
After 7 months of not sleeping through the night, I could not wait to get my hands on this book. I read The No-Cry Sleep Soluition and tried to follow the new bedtime plan. The problem is that a major part of the plan is the daytime schedule. As much as I would love to be home with my child all day to get her nap routine and early bedtime in place, I CAN'T! My daycare tries the best they can, but if she doesn't stick to the schedule they don't force it. And since we don't get home until 6:30 pm every night, a bedtime before 8:00 pm is out of the question.
Elizabeth Pantley's ideas sound great, but they don't work for parents who have to work full time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle way of getting your baby to sleep and stay asleep!, Sept. 3 2002
My firstborn son was a great sleeper and napper. I never had problems at all. Alas...#2 son was born and the "fun" began. He would cat nap and wake up several times during the night. I have never been comfortable with the cry it out method so I was looking for an alternative. "The no cry sleep solution" is a very clear, informative, easy to follow book to get your baby the much needed sleep it needs. (and you need!) I found it comforting to know that you're not alone in this. Most babies aren't text book type sleepers! Elizabeth is like a good friend taking you through each step of the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book may have saved my life, July 30 2002
By A Customer
My baby was waking up every hour or MORE all night long and wouldn't nap for more than 30 minutes. I was so sleep-deprived that I fell asleep driving! Luckily, it was a minor accident, but it scared me (my baby was in the car, too!) It made me realize how critical it was that I get more sleep. I did an intense internet search on babies and sleep and discovered this author's web site. After reading all the excerpts and interviews with parents who had used these ideas I ordered the book. It's been only 3 weeks but my baby is now sleeping up to 5 hour stretches and napping 2 hours. I am feeling so much better now I can really enjoy my baby. I loved that this author isn't judgemental nor preachy. She's a mother and shares her knowledge in a kind and helpful way. There are tons of ideas and you choose from them to make up your own sleep plan. The forms and charts in the book are helpful. I am going to buy this for every one of my pregnant friends and know that they won't have to suffer the way that I did. (And now that I'm sleeping at night I'm ready to try for number two!) If you want to sleep, and don't want to make your baby cry, this is the only book with the answers.

‹ Previous | 134 35 3639 | Next ›