5.0 out of 5 stars Dont even think...JUST GET IT!
If you are reading this page, it means that you are interested in derivative securities. I am a person who is "average" on calculus (did it in univ 4 years back), have been a consultant until now since my graduation but wanted to move into i-banking...
Published on July 23 2001 by Shashank Tripathi

1.0 out of 5 stars Numerous technical mistakes
I have reviewed many of the formulas in several sections of this book and have found a number of mistakes. As a result, I can trust no formula from the book without reviewing the literature or some other source.
Published on Dec 2 2003 by Galileo Galilei

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Numerous technical mistakes, Dec 2 2003
Galileo Galilei (Frostbite Falls, MN USA) - See all my reviews
The author does not use consistent terminology throughout the book. Rather, the terminology of the original journal article is used for each pricing model. This makes referring to the articles convenient, but then you don't need the book if you're going to the source...
I have used few of the computer programs offered, but the ones that I have used have had terrible inefficiencies. For example, a bisectional iterative search was used, which is very simple to write but is also very inefficient. There are many other simple and more efficient alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont even think...JUST GET IT!, July 23 2001
Shashank Tripathi (Gadabout) - See all my reviews
I sulked at the thought of (if not dreaded) going back to calculus and all those math-heavy thingies, but among my searches I found this book. It sounded best because rather than a lot of historical and theoretical jazz alone, I wanted to see a compilation of the actual formulae. Believe me, JUST GET IT!!
1. This book gives me all of the above in one neat capsule form! All the introductory derivatives stuff i read sounded like "And derivates can be of the type options, futures etc". That 'etc' always bothered me because I wanted something which told me ALL types of derivatives. This book does it - at least MOST of it. It has BlackScholes, binomials, also has an excellent section on Monte Carlo.
2. This book also made me feel a lot more confident than the average book from my library - right from chapter 1, I did not feel that it has been a long time since I did derivatives and integration. Worth it.
3. Anyone who says that this is too techie for a normal person just does not get it. I am a very ordinary calculus guy, but this made sense ....you of course need to put your head to it..you cannot be watching Seinfeld and reading this book-- and remember, its structured more like a reference book with all the formulas and brief descriptions of why/how/where they are likely to be used. Excellent and efficient scope if you ask me!
4. As I said, if you are looking at this page then you are most likely interested in derivatives, and believe me my friend, just get this book. It is worth EACH PENNY regardless of what other books you may have!
If you are really keen, I would also suggest reading this in conjunction with "Options, futures..." by John Hull (Prentice Hall). And if you are really really keen, take a look at this v. informative website:

Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Option Pricing using Excel VBA, April 9 2001
Franco Arda (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a book on option pricing using Excel VBA, there is no alternative to that book. Haug succeeded in writing an exciting book the most common options, the way of pricing them AND providin all the Excel VBA formulas. A fantastic book to get started with option pricing covering:
Plain Vanilla Options (B&S, Option sensitivities etc.) Exotic Options (loads of exotics covered) Numerical Methods in Option Pricing (incl implied trinom tree) Interest Rate Options (Hull, Ho, White etc.) Volatility and Correlation (histor vol, implied vol) Some Useful Formulas (interpolation) Distributions
It's a fantastic book for the serious student who does want to understand the Excel VBA formulas. The disk is very useful and allows to see the formulas in more detail. Mathematical level? I would boldly claim that you get 80% of the book without having an idea about calculus. That makes the book very readable (Wilmott & co are the real quant's!). Haug gets successfully around the heavy calculus / PDE stuff. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would like to give 5+ stars to every future editions!, Sept. 6 2001
Weiqin Xie (New Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
So far there's no any reference book on option pricing formulas can beat this one. The book has tons of authentic option formulas with detailed bibliographic citations, real examples with numerical inputs, and "beautiful" Excel VBA code without error. However, there is a single major flaw: the CND! The author used it everywhere in VBA code when the cumulative normal distribution function is needed and referred it to an approximation formula and a table in the Appendix. A few year ago, it might be the only convenient way to make the job done. However, in Excel 2000 we have a built-in function NORMSDIST() to accomplish the task. The book was published in 1998. It's the time to update it now. When the new edition comes, I will go to buy it immediately - assuming the CND is replaced. To publisher: keep your good quality of proof-reading and reasonable price. I will give this book 5+ stars forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook for the quantitative options trader, Jan. 30 1999
By A Customer
Have you ever wished someone took all the significant option formulas of the last 25 years and packed them into one volume? Is your calculus rusty? How about putting the formulas into Visual Basic so they can be employed directly in Microsoft Excel spreadsheets or Access databases. This is the main appeal of Option Pricing Formulas, which fills a void in current option literature. As option players became more computer literate an anthology of coded option theory was clearly needed.
The book covers everything from the tried and true Black Scholes and Cox/ Rubenstein formulas to the more exotic worlds of barrier and currency translated options. Software is included with the Visual Basic code as well as preprogrammed Excel files. Think of it as a cookbook for the technically oriented option trader.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!, Dec 5 2001
By A Customer
This book is great for those who want a no nonsense guide to various option pricing formulae. What makes this book worthy of ten stars is that it provides VBA codes implementing virtually all of the formulae presented in the book. This is a great book for anyone interested in learning how option and derivative pricing works. The difference between loving a book like this -- as opposed to NOT really being interested in a book like this because one is scared of a little math -- is like the difference between knowing how to engineer, design, and build a fine sports car -- as opposed to knowing how to steer an old clunker.
So if you are REALLY interested in options and aren't afraid of a little math and a little programming, then this book is a must buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost All Options Covered, Feb. 24 2003
By A Customer
This book addresses most of the issues in pricing options. It doesn't cover features which have a real affect on value, however. Legal, language, cheapest-to-deliver, and documentation issues which affect pricing for credit derivatives aren't factored into the analysis, and these options are a huge and growing part of the derivatives market.
There is a new book coming out by Schonberg on credit derivative modeling. For more complete coverage of those issues, I highly recommend Tavakoli's book which gives practical examples to illustrate the meaning behind the models. It's called "Credit Derivatives and Synthetic Structures".

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremly useful, April 20 2000
This book is extremly usefull and I would recommend it to everyone involded in quickly implementing new and complex derivatives securities. Some pricing formulas such as the three dimensional binomial trees are very refreshing tools to price all kinds of two asset options. The disk provided is simple of use, the financial notation is rigourous, the code is very accessible, and remarkably empty or programming errors ! It is very easy to customize the source code to price and analyse on a spreadsheet, all sorts of proprietary derivative securities.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bible in option pricing, Dec 12 1999
This book is a genious in the making. I myself have lots of notes on option formulas, however, this book represents what I've wanted to put together for a long time now. These formulas are also the closest I've seen to how the street actually prices options.
============================== Please don't post this section: ============================== Amazon - how can I get in touch with the author? I have written all these pricing formulas in Javascript, I need to know if this is ok.. Pls help

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Reference Manual, March 5 2003
By A Customer
Fantastic reference manual for the most basic to unusual options. Well organized making it easy to find what you're looking for. If you're looking for derivations of models, you've got the wrong book. If you're looking for formulaes and perhaps even spreadsheets, this is the book for you.
I know of no other book as comprehensive as this book. I don't know if there will be a revised edition, but if there is, I will certainly buy it since this is, in my mind, the definitive reference manual.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Complete Guide to Option Pricing Formulas
The Complete Guide to Option Pricing Formulas by Espen Gaarder Haug (Hardcover - Jan. 8 2007)
CDN$ 74.95 CDN$ 71.20