5.0 out of 5 stars It works and it works well.
It gives you tips and tricks to break into a conversation with anyone. Once you read this book you will discover the possibilities. Highly recommended. This book is simple to understand and simple to perform.
Published on March 4 2008 by Genesis

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is okay
Published 17 months ago by Sunshine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is okay, Feb. 26 2013
This review is from: How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships (Paperback)
If you have never read a sales book, then this book is an okay start. It also has some tips on "small talk" that are pretty decent, but you can get these tips for free from other various websites. Also, I feel that the other rambles a bit. I bet s/he could have written the same info in half the space. I'd buy Dale Carnegie and/or Jeffrey's Gitomer's The Little Red Salesbook instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars A lot of common sense and quite a bit of rubbish, Feb. 11 2006
Hugo Trepanier "elusiveone_96" (Deux-Montagnes, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
As a rather shy guy in his 20's who often faces difficulty initiating captivating conversations, I picked up this book hoping to learn a few fine tricks that would broaden my level of human understanding. Exceedingly good reader reviews admittedly produced high expectations, unfortunately only met with lukewarm results. It is not especially bad; just don't expect a complete makeover of your interactions with people, and be aware that it may apply to some people more than others.
The positive aspects:
- Concise, good to read in various small instalments and take time to reflect on the different techniques, appreciate them, and even make some real-life experiments in-between reading sessions. Easily discard the ones that don't make sense to your particular way of life.
- Contains some really good new ideas and excellent techniques that you can use to effectively communicate with people in various situations, things to keep in mind, blunders to avoid and good postures to adopt. One should not undermine the potential life-enhancing benefits of reading the few truly excellent gems.
- Several of these guidelines appear to be simple common sense if you have any perceptive amount of social experience, but it's appreciated to be reminded about these things by an external source to better grasp their implications.
- Some amusing anecdotes will make you laugh, such as the businesswoman's encounter with a group of potential Japanese partners.
The negative aspects:
- Early on, the tone gave me the impression of a much older, chiefly superficial woman, who does not fundamentally encourage having any sense of humour. She is also remarkably unforgiving in her judgement and did not appear sympathetic to me at all in the way she constantly refers to people as "big winners" and "little losers". That sentiment eventually diminished with time, though I could not help but still feel the writer did not specifically address people of my generation with the unimaginative humour and old-fashioned rationale. All of this is possibly better suited at people 40 and up, mostly businesspeople, which is a big letdown from my point of view.
- Suffers from a very average level of language for the most part, such as repeated attempts to break words down in syl-la-bles as an awkward and decidedly superfluous way to emphasise. Also plagued with too many expressions targeted at the lowest common denominator, particularly in the way she makes her "characters" talk.
- There is no scientific evidence to support most of the claims; it is all purely based on the author's personal experiences or deductions. Some statistics are unaccounted for, such as when she says you only need 50 new words in your vocabulary to make a remarkable difference, or that you get 80% of the right lingo and insider questions from just one exposure to any given field. Leil Lowndes even goes on to explain how Eve commanded Adam to eat the infamous apple with the power of language, which I found absurd.
- Most tips are given far too brief coverage and when it gets really interesting you are whisked away onto other subjects. I would have appreciated a lengthier study or more in-depth analysis of the human behaviours at work in these examples.
- A lot of it just didn't make sense to me, such as the notion that knowing a little bit of nothing about everything will get you anywhere (I believe people of any specific expertise will still be able to spot the uninitiated even if you know a handful of keywords pertaining to their precise industry or competence, which won't get you much further).
Overall, this book didn't impress me at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works and it works well., March 4 2008
Genesis "Gen" (Middle of Nowhere, Canada) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 7 2014
Good pointers.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to talk to anyone, Dec 15 2013
At last a book that is factual and provides page after page of good sound advice that you can use on a daily basis. It has common sense approaches that help you improve your communication during business meetings, one on one personal meetings and also how to talk to groups of people at parties. Yes. This book is worth the money and the five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Techniques, Amazing Results, Dec 11 2009
Catherine Lam (Edmonton, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have recently finished reading Leil's book "How to Talk to Anyone" and am now the proud owner of "How to Instantly Connect with Anyone." What amazing messages! In the past few years, I have ate, slept, breathed Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People. " But Leil certainly bring the 21st century to his timeless corollaries! Her writing style is easy to understand and it brings out her sense of humour and personality. Her whimsical approach has inspired me to start going down the path of educating people to network and talk to people in my own rite. The world needs more people like Leil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful tips for a variety of situations, June 2 2009
Jennifer Dunlop (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
I'm not a shy person by nature but I've always loathed small talk and struggled with carrying conversations in business situations. This book offers tips on how to be a better conversationalist that can be applied in a variety of scenarios. Since reading the book, I feel more confident and have a new awareness of how my behaviour is perceived by others. Who knew that smiling too quickly made me "less credible"? Instead of entering a room with my shoulders hunched, hoping no one will talk to me, I walk in the room with confidence - even if I'm just faking it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth It, April 5 2004
Tobin Sparfeld (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
You will enjoy this book. I bought it on clearance at a book store and hoped it would be worth it for the plane ride. It has proved to be fantastic. I have never prided myself on being good at small talk or at introductions, but Lowndes gives you numerous practical tips which can be easily and immediately applied. Although many of these tactics are specifically meant for introductions and first impressions, they can also be used for daily contact with acquaintances and friends as well. (It also feels good to come across some of the tricks and know that you already have been doing that). Unless you live in a cave, you're conversations with others will be more valuable to you than money you use to get this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, Dec 30 2003
I loved this book. It provides great advice, with real life examples. The book is easy to read, and the tricks are easy to remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for community, Dec 9 2003
I can't say enough about how this book has helped me in 2003. It has straightened me up and I'm flying right. Last week I received an award for "Most Improved" in community adjustment work I do at a hospital in New York. Reading the book only halfway through gave me the sense of direction and confidence I needed that I had to contact the author herself and thank her. You probably will too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›