5.0 out of 5 stars Who left me out of the �Grammar can now be amusing� loop ?!, March 27 2004
Julie Jordan Scott "Writer, Life Coach - Owne... (Bakersfield, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elephants of Style: A Trunkload of Tips on the Big Issues and Gray Areas of Contemporary American English (Paperback)
I found myself laughing out loud as I read Bill Walsh's "The Elephant's of Style."
Reminiscent of "Woe is I" this title actually entertains as it enlightens. Some of Walsh's best lines were "Split infinitives are the chicken cacciatore of the English Language" and "Who died and left me in charge of the English language?"
I want to know where Bill Walsh was when I was being drilled in grammar back in school! First they started teaching kids phonics and blends using fun songs and hand motions and now this?! I missed out on all the fun!
I especially enjoyed the section entitled "The Lies Your English Teacher Told You: Big Myths of English Usage" (I actually wiped my brow at one point in that chapter.) His appendix, "The Curmudgeon's Stylebook" is a valuable addition as well.
Wonderful stuff, easy to remember and apply.... Excellent for those who got stuck in the "grammar rules" and "strict critiques" from the past.... Free up the negative through process and just get through to the mechanics in this user friendly guide. The index will take you straight to your area of interest and then read the rest just 'cause its so darn fun...... oh, I wonder if it's against the rules to insert periods in a row like that?
Better refer to my copy of "Elephants of Style" now.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The next Bill Safire?, April 28 2004
Visiting the front lines of the grammar and usage wars with Bill Walsh is a pleasure for writers and readers alike. Like his previous work, Lapsing Into a Comma, this entertaining and enlightening book shows Walsh has got a great ear and a great sense of humor.

ARRAY(0xae7f2738)