5.0 out of 5 stars life-changing
This book is already life-changing for me, and I'm only half way through it. I have battled an eating disorder for over 30 years, and my eating disorder finally has a name. For me, I have to be totally focused on my diet - now named ED - to lose weight, or I'm totally blowing it - now who is finally named Counter-ED.
I always thought that my problem was lack of...
Published on Jan. 22 2004 by Susan Maddux

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Helpful at all
This book goes beyond campy. I'm all for cheesey humor, but come on. Her attempts at funny clutter an otherwise empty account. Honestly, there a many books about eating disorders out there. I've ready many of them. Most o9f them are at least a teeny bit helpful This one is not and IS the only one I've given a negative review to.
Published on Feb. 3 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars life-changing, Jan. 22 2004
This review is from: Life Without Ed: How One Woman Declared Independence from Her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too (Paperback)
I always thought that my problem was lack of will-power, or focus, and have noticed I eat when I'm upset and stressed. My weight has varied up and down 50 pounds numerous times over those thirty years(size 18 down to size 4 at 5'9"), and I was afraid that a doctor would laugh at me if I asked for help.
Dr. Thom and Jenni gave me great exercises that I was able to start last weekend. I have started purging my size 4's and 6's out of my wardrobe that were previously THE measure of success by ED. Wow! How liberating that exercise alone feels.
Another exercise with a cassette tape is one my husband and I are going to use to get past some old stuff that we've had a hard time getting past.
I scoffed when I read Dr. Thom's suggestion to begin reading the book in small portions to allow proper digestion. After all, I've probably read more self-help books than number of days he's been alive, but he was right. I can't wait to finish this awesome book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all recovering perfectionists, Feb. 26 2004
"dohlendorf" (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Jenni Schaefer has accurately captured the life and feelings of a perfectionist in her book Life Without Ed. Although I have never experienced an eating disorder, I obsess about calorie intake on a daily basis and am bound by the chains of physical appearance. I found the exercises at the end of each section helpful in confronting the voices and negative criticisms that my own abusive SuperEgo (Ed) throws my way.
Jenni Schaefer does not discount the seriousness of eating disorders nor does she try to convince you that divorce from ED is easy. She provides practical ways to distinguish between what is healthy and what is ED. The awarness that I gained from this book (especially section 1) has enabled me to start the separation process from my own abusive self criticism.
This book applies to all recovering perfectionists. The exercises, personal experiences, strength, and weakness that the author shared make it a real and valuable resource on my path to recovery. I highly recommend this book to anyone enduring self criticism and abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, May 31 2014
Janice Haakons (BLAINE, WASHINGTON, US) - See all my reviews
As a parent, I had no idea what my daughter was going through. This book was recommended by a friend and it helped me visualize my own daughter's disorder in a way I could understand and have much more empathy for. Thanks, Jenni.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book!, March 14 2014
This book is an amazing read, and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in eating disorders! and it came quickly in the mail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, Sept. 17 2013
A very good read for anyone experiencing disorded eating and struggling with it. Could be helpful for the right person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Without Ed, March 24 2013
Great book again by Jenni Schaefer! Best to hear it from those who have recovered and are able to regain there life again. She is truly and inspiration to many. Anyone struggling with an eating disorder or knows someone who is should read this book! Great value to buy on Amazon and fast shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative Easy Read, Feb. 3 2004
Laura Garrard (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I found Jenni Schaefer's "Life Without Ed" extremely informative, helpful and friendly. Her honest humor brings a personal touch to such a difficult personal problem. She quite simply, and expressively, puts it all out there, confronts readers with the nitty gritty truth about their experiences and decisions, and comprehensively presents the means to stand up to E.D. Schaefer's book also serves to inspire and encourage, as she's been there, too. And her book provides the same practical exercises that have helped her to regain herself. I highly recommend this book to those who've not net left ED, and to those who are trying to support someone in recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing campy here. This is the real deal., Feb. 25 2004
I just looked up the word "campy," and there is nothing campy about Life without Ed. As a woman recovering from an eating disorder and as a clinician treating eating disorders, I find this book to be a refreshing change from the staus quo of tortuous memoirs and over-intellectualized material that tends to occupy this market.
The recovery work described in this book is undoubtedly the real deal. Jenni Schaefer has obviously worked hard to overcome her eating disorder and she is to be congratulated for that. And while we're at it, let's congratulate her for the willingness to share her story so candidly, and for being creative enough to bring such a delightful sense of humor to this very serious subject matter. She no doubt gets some of the humor from her therapist and co-author Thom Rutledge. His writing (the best of which is Embracing Fear) always manages to bring together serious self-help and the kind of humor that offers a perspective that is in and of itself healing.
If you have even the slightest interest in understanding the inner-workings of eating disorders, buy this book. If you are a therapist or counselor who works with eating disorders, buy this book. If you love someone with an eating disorder, buy this book. And if you have an eating disorder --- definitely buy this book.
Who says medicine has to taste bad to be good? Learn, grow and enjoy Life without Ed.
Sarah Wiley, Ph.D.

5.0 out of 5 stars I carry this book with me everywhere, Feb. 13 2004
By A Customer
This adorable little book is jampacked with wisdom, encouragement, enlightenment and advice on how I can rid myself of ED, so I carry it everywhere I go. It's so nice to find a book about eating disorders that is not clinical, preachy, or totally off the mark. Thank you Jenni Schaefer and Thom Rutledge for writing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars ED sucks, Feb. 8 2004
mary wood (Nashville, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
I agree wtih jenni's entire philosophy (along with Thom Rutledge) on separating the eating disorder from the self. I really enjoyed this book and related to most of her stories. I would recommend it to anyone struggling with an eating disorder or who has a friend or family member struggling.

CDN$ 20.95 CDN$ 15.12