5.0 out of 5 stars life-changing
This book is already life-changing for me, and I'm only half way through it. I have battled an eating disorder for over 30 years, and my eating disorder finally has a name. For me, I have to be totally focused on my diet - now named ED - to lose weight, or I'm totally blowing it - now who is finally named Counter-ED.
I always thought that my problem was lack of...
Published on Jan. 22 2004 by Susan Maddux

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Helpful at all
This book goes beyond campy. I'm all for cheesey humor, but come on. Her attempts at funny clutter an otherwise empty account. Honestly, there a many books about eating disorders out there. I've ready many of them. Most o9f them are at least a teeny bit helpful This one is not and IS the only one I've given a negative review to.
Published on Feb. 3 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the book!, Feb. 3 2004
This review is from: Life Without Ed: How One Woman Declared Independence from Her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too (Paperback)
"Life Without Ed" is wonderful! I was so happy to find an eating disorder book filled with humor and optimism, and I couldn't help smiling as I read through each unique section. I'm recovering from an eating disorder myself was comforted to know that I'm not alone in my struggles, setbacks, and eventual successes. Jenni Schaefer found a way to put a positive spin on a serious issue. The book was not only informative and educational, but it was hilarious, too! I finished feeling hopeful and eager to implement some of Jenni and Thom's activities into my own recovery. I definitely recommend this book to anyone dealing with their own Ed, or anyone else interested in learning more about eating disorders from an inspiring point of view.
P.S. I also liked that the cover allowed me to read this book in public without trying to strategically hide a big EATING DISORDERS title. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but I noticed and appreciated it anyway...

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Helpful at all, Feb. 3 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative read for the non-enlightened, Jan. 22 2004
Mario (Lewisville, TX) - See all my reviews
As one who's lived their life never having met ED, I found this book to be informative in the understanding of eating disorders in general. This book makes it helpful in empathizing about a situation that has been out there for a good while. The informative text came across in easy to read chapters and a writing style that allowed you to follow along whether you previously knew about this disorder or not. It is insightful to read about someone's struggles with an every day event such as eating and to learn about their rigorous process in living each day. I'm glad for Jenni and for all the people who will "divorce" ED and continue to improve their life. This book certainly will help!

5.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of book, Jan. 15 2004
Mary Bedelia (Boulder, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
I have struggled with an eating disorder for years and have read book after book on eating disorder recovery. But I've always ended up going right back to the same old behaviors - bingeing, purging, and starving. Life Without Ed is different.
Learning to refer to my eating disorder as 'Ed' has really worked. I have learned that Ed is the one who thinks I'm fat. Ed is the one who doesn't want me to eat. Ed is the one who makes me binge and purge. And I have learned how to separate from Ed and have found myself.
Life Without Ed is written in a way that is easy and even fun to read. The short sections are really refreshing and can be read in any order. So I didn't become overwhelmed like I had before while reading other books. And Jenni actually makes you laugh as you take steps toward recovery. I never knew that recovery could actually be fun.
After reading Life Without Ed, I have real hope. I now know that I am headed toward an amazing life without Ed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Liberating and Life-changing Book, Jan. 14 2004
Life without Ed is a life changing book! I have struggled with food issues and body image issues. This book provides new and freeing techniques to start a person on the road to recovery from these issues - or continue them on that road. Schaefer talks openly and extensively about her own struggles with her eating disorder and the methods that she has used to recover from it. It was comforting to me to read that someone else has the same problems that I do and then showed me what to do about it. The humor in the book kept me glued to it! Schaefer's way of laughing at her own mistakes helped me to laugh at mine too! I recommend this book to anyone who even thinks they might have an eating disorder. It is full of encouragement and direction to bring you out of the depths of despair into the light of freedom!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyeopening for those supporting eating disorder sufferers, Jan. 14 2004
Alex (Nashville) - See all my reviews
I do not have an eating disorder, but I do have several friends who suffer with eating disorders. This book has afforded me a new insight into the world of ED sufferers. This book would be a great gift for those with eating disorders to give to anyone they might have trouble telling about their problem. If you gave this to someone and asked them to read it and then talk to you afterwards, I think you would be amazed at how they would understand your problem, and hopefully be able to offer a level of support that they might not have been able to offer before. I applaud Jenni for fighting so hard and getting to the finish line.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW !!!Talking back to ED, Jan. 10 2004
Heather (Penrose, Ut USA) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book!! Jenni Schaefer gives us a very realistic look at living and winning against our eating disorders but adds enough humor to make this an enjoyable read. She also lets you know that you are not alone in this fight and at times it seems she's fighting ED right there with you.The book helps you come to understand what and who you are up against with your eating disorder. The chapters are short(easy to get thru before your attention wanders). However,the chapters are filled with so much information that you find yourself rereading them and picking up more info each time. The exercises in the book truly work. This whole book teaches you to Separate, Disagree and Disobey ED(eating disorder). I especially liked learning how to talk back to ED -I feel ED's power comes from the mental warefare he launches inside your head 24/7. The book provides steps to combat and end this constant emotional abuse. I feel you will really benefit from reading this book. I highly recommend it!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars far too campy, Feb. 25 2004
By A Customer
I'm sure she's a nice woman and I appreciate the strength it takes to write about such embarassing personal things BUT as someone who has been living with eating disorders for 17 years, I find little inspiration from such a sun-shinycheesey account. Unless you're the kind of person who finds yourself saying "Golly, Dr. Freud, I never thought of it that way. now I'm sure to be able to divorce ED.", this book won't help you.

CDN$ 20.95 CDN$ 15.12