5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Practical Guide In One Book, Feb. 22 2003
By A Customer
There are lots of books that do their best to guide you toward successful sailing but they never tell the whole picture. They all leave something out so you have to buy several books to get all that you need. This is the best and most complete single book on what it takes to do practical sailing, specializing in the tropics. Everything to think about... food and it's preservation,repairs to the boat, weather(cyclones) and forcasting, tropical diseases and how to stay healthy, and my favorite- pirates..how to stay away from them and be safe...of course much more. It's highly readable,too. If there was a fault I guess would have to say I wish there was more story telling of the author's experiences in his 25 year cruising time.But this book can't be beat for practical teaching and price. So I guess I read stories another time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical guide to forfilling your Dreams, Feb. 6 2002
Mr David McMahon (Noumea Cedex New Caledonia) - See all my reviews
I am not a person who is easily impressed, but having recently received and read "Tropical Cruising Handbook" by Mark Smaalders and Kim des Rochers I felt the need to write and congratulate the authors on producing a truly excellent book. The book is a superb and comprehensive guide to all that you need to know to make your tropical cruise a rewarding and safe experience. In particular, I was very impressed with the authors' sensitivity to the cultures and people of the tropics.
This book has reinforced my desire to sail the tropics.
I can't wait to cast off and set sail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tropical Cruising Handbook, July 20 2002
Christopher Morton (Cabarita Beach, Australia) - See all my reviews
I have been a "wannabe" tropical cruiser for several years. I have read several 'cruising guides' and many magazine articles, but when I do go this is the one that will be on board. It is all there, well presented and in language we all understand. A gold-mine of solid, practical information, excellent value.

Tropical Cruising Handbook
Tropical Cruising Handbook by Kim des Rochers (Paperback - Aug. 30 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 29.15