5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book if you plan on buying a used sailboat, July 7 2010
This review is from: Inspecting the Aging Sailboat (Paperback)
This book is an invaluable resource for anyone planning on buying their first sailboat. It is also a very good resource for those who already have sailboats, but want to know more about what to look for that can go wrong. Before paying someone to inspect and survey a prospective purchase, which can cost considerable money, both to buy and to have surveyed, read this book cover to cover. Then go shopping for your dream used sailboat. Armed with the stuff in this book, you can likely eliminated a lot of boats that a survey would discard. Then when you find 'that' boat, you know, "the one" for you, you will only have to shell out for one survey. At a minimum of $300 per survey, this could save you a lot of coin. Buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and drawn, Sept. 29 2008
This review is from: Inspecting the Aging Sailboat (Paperback)
"Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" is easy and fun to read, with wonderful drawings found on every page.

I give it 4 stars out of 5 because, although it has some good information, it's a small book and doesn't cover certain issues and repairs in much detail. Also, I recommend learning sailboat terminology and parts before digging into this book because they aren't explained, there is no glossary. Although I know the terminology, I suspect people who are quite unfamiliar with sailboats might be reaching for the dictionary a lot. Still, I really enjoyed this little book and believe it will help me a lot when I go out and survey a boat myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for surveying yourself, Oct. 14 2005
This review is from: Inspecting the Aging Sailboat (Paperback)
I am in the process of pruchasing my first sailboat. During the last year i have seen and visit at least 50 sailboats; but I have purchase the book only recently and now I have a whole new perspective on sailboats. Amazing all the things I did not know and did not look for! I am still looking to find the sailboat that will fufill my needs but now I have a much better chance to find it. Good thing about this book is, it is easy to read and comprehend, good example and vulgarisation of technical language..... excellent reference book. Well done M. Casey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unstanding what you're looking at, May 24 2000
I used this book in combination with another to really understand the boat systems and make an informed judgement. Are those cracks in the gelcoat serious? How do I know if the tiller attachment is a weak design? Casey helps you understand how to make a judgement about critical components from a novice/lay point of view. I found the book a very good resource.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise, and well illustrated, Aug. 5 1999
W. J. McMahon (Scituate, MA USA) - See all my reviews
While not as detailed as a textbook might be, it covers general points across very well.

ARRAY(0xb36abd20)

Inspecting the Aging Sailboat
Inspecting the Aging Sailboat by Don Casey (Paperback - July 27 2004)
CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96