Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 30, 2015
This came recommended to me. It was good, but I don't think I ever finished the book.
on October 7, 2014
Not worth it!
on August 6, 2014
Nothng revolutionary.
on May 27, 2013
I got this when my little guy was tiny, before discipline was even an issue, and I'm so glad I did. It changed the way I thought about parenting. My parents were excellent and very loving, but I was brought up in an era where if your child did something wrong, they got a verbal warning (which all too often meant nothing and carried little weight) and then a smack if the problem behavior persisted. I always thought that this was the soundest way to parent - until I had my own child. Then I just couldn't imagine smacking him, ever. You're told over and over again as a new mum to follow your instincts, and every instinct I have screams against hitting my child, or even yelling at him. When I started researching and reading about sleep issues I came across the No Cry Sleep Solution, and that was a total 'Aha!' moment. We're currently working our way through the potty training and discipline books and they're looking pretty dog eared by now! Elizabeth writes from her own experience with her kids and as a parent convinced that there had to be a better way than a reactively based parenting approach. She helps you understand WHY your child is doing what he/she is doing, and what you can do to address that effectively and even avoid these issues wherever possible. She also makes it clear that in many situations, whilst the fix may not be the 'instant' fix of a slap or a yell, it's a longterm, real solution that will better help strengthen the bond between parent and child and lay strong foundations for your child and your family. I love her down-to-earth, warm approach - it's clear that this is a book written by someone who is passionate about loving, proactive parenting and wants to share that information. And the best part is (which Elizabeth will tell you in every book), this isn't a one-size-fits-all 'course' - you just read through and pick out the solutions and approaches that will work for your family. You aren't required to follow the book step by step, or to adhere to a certain mindset in order to benefit from it, so it will work for anyone. This would make a great gift for new parents!
on August 18, 2009
This book has touched me in many ways. One of the best chapters in this book is the chapter on how to deal with personal anger and frustration. I have children that are very active, more then some other kids and they are also very sensitive. My children take any negative comments as a personal put down. This book offers different solutions to say some of the same things that you want to bark, but in a nice way. As parents we are constantly facing the dilemma of if we did or are doing the right thing.
Many books I have read about child discipline and child rearing focus on making children conform. They also seem to want you believe that children only misbehave to manipulate you. Elizabeth Pantley allows us to see child behavior through the child's eyes. She offers solid and usable tips and solutions for parents to help them deal with a range of discipline issues. The No-Cry Discipline Solution is parent and child-friendly.

This book is an easy read, it is also easy for reference.
I think this is perfect for a parent that is tired and frustrated.
The last thing I need is a thick meaty book where I have to think more.
After spending the day thinking and trying to keep my kids safe, I need someone to work for me a little. This book does that, She lists things that are happening, and how you can change your wording or actions slightly, to get the end result you want, with out some of the tears and frustration
As far as it being no cry- I am not sure, because children being children, still want their way, they can not see logic the same way we can, but it is a nicer way of communicating, and i am sure will cause less tears and frustration on all fronts. This book gave me better tools in my bag of tricks then I have been using, and that is a great thing.

There are some practical suggestions that are very helpful. Like instead of saying "go get in the car right now!", trying something like, "Can you hop to the car?" or "Do you want to walk or skip to the car?"

She clearly indicates in her books that she will provide you with different strategies as there is no "one size fits all" solution to any of the challenges we parents face. One is able to take what fits their family and leave the rest. This book does not make you feel like a bad parent for not having thought of these ideas yourself.
I really like the honesty of this, it is real, and she is not assuming she knows everything, or that her methods are the only things that will work.
I like how there are many suggestions for similar issues, it is a great touch to have so many parents have feedback in the book. It makes it seem so much more real.
on December 20, 2007
As with all of Pantley's work, this book provides concrete, realistic suggestions in a supportive, respectful manner. Pantley is never condescending, and never questions your own parenting choices, she simply provides information, examples and suggestions you might want to try. Unlike parenting books that scold you for your mistakes (like the Baby Whisperer series), this book feels like a warm hug from a caring friend and mentor. Pantley acknowledges the realities of parenting and being human, reassures that perfection is impossible, and demonstrates her positive reinforcement techniques through the approach she takes in her writing.

Most of the suggestions can be adapted to use from 2 year olds to teens.
I highly recommend Pantley's work for parents interested in building respectful, loving relationships with their kids.
on August 16, 2007
Words can’t explain what I have to say about No- Cry Discipline Solution. I will however, try my best to do so. How can one person capture so many aspects of parenting and write them so eloquently in one book? Well, I can say that Elizabeth Pantley does just that. This book is amazing. It has touched me in so many ways. One of the best chapters in this book is the chapter on how to deal with your own anger and frustration. I have suffered through many situations with my three children, as we all do. I would beat myself up about some of the choices that I made in discipline…sometimes even cry about the choices I made. As parents we are constantly facing the dilemma of whether or not we did or are doing the right thing. Elizabeth managed to bring tears to my eyes when I read Staying Calm and Avoiding Anger. Yes, tears…tears of joy, because I finally felt that I wasn’t alone in how I was feeling and that just because we get angry and frustrated it doesn’t mean that we are a bad parent…just means we are humans with breaking points. This is just one of many chapters in the book that is great; each chapter in its own way is special because they truly help you. You are given a problem and then there is the solution. I have tried many of them with my kids and I am proud to say that they are working. Elizabeth Pantley in my eyes is an amazing and extraordinary person with the ability to make you feel like she is right there sitting in your living room walking you through what to do…move over Super Nanny. If anyone is struggling with what to do with any type of behavioral issues with their children, this is the book for you. I have read every one of Elizabeth Pantley’s books and I love them all, but The No- Cry Discipline Solution is her best!!! My advice to all parents, go out as soon as you can and run to your nearest book store or log on to the internet and get a copy of this book. I promise once you get started you are not going to want to put it down.
on July 25, 2007
I am a counselor in private practice, as well as the mother of a toddler. This book has offered my husband and I very practical, and even fun ways of approaching discipline. Our 21 month old son enjoys picking up his toys and putting them away, and he even puts his dishes in the sink when he done without being asked. In addition, since reading the book and following the ideas, our son is much more pleasant to interact with. We as parents are much more pleasant as well! I refer to the book often at home, and I frequently recommend it to my clients who are struggling with parenting and discipline. I would highly recommend this book. It is a great resource for all parents.
Kim Rapach, LCSW
on July 11, 2007
I was a big fan of Elizabeth's No Cry Sleep Solution when dealing with a colicky baby who would not sleep (for almost two years!). Once again, she has helped me with the same child and his constant need to test our limits. I've got so many new tools to deal with the day to day!
on May 21, 2007
In The No-Cry Discipline Solution, Elizabeth Pantley helps us examine our old discipline ways and teaches us mutually respectful new ideas in her trademark warm, motivating, and humorous way. Once again, Pantley delivers!

--Judy Arnall, Parent educator and author of "Discipline Without Distress: 135 tools for raising caring responsible children without time-out, spanking, punishment or bribery"