5.0 out of 5 stars A GUD gift: a great read!
Published on Dec 30 2008 by Lightfooted

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing earth shattering
This book was recommended as important insight into how kids are impacted by the digital world. No revelation for me, very comment sense information if you look around you at people today.
Published 19 months ago by sdyck

5.0 out of 5 stars A GUD gift: a great read!, Dec 30 2008
This review is from: Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World (Hardcover)
Grown Up Digital was part of a Christmas present to my mother, inscribed with, "Since we're so far away, here's something to remind you that I'm okay." I wanted to show her how my generation typically lives and thinks - and contributes, values and revolutionizes. More importantly, I knew that GUD would help her to understand the vast cultural phenomena in which she's swept along. As a communications professional, she needs to be kept up-to-date and the book will stretch what she knows about the digital era and how she interacts with it/us/me.

This 'field guide' of the Net Generation is broken up into little bits and bytes of information that we can dip-in and take-out from anywhere in the book. Tapscott links data to anecdotes in a way that thoughtfully captures the perspectives of and on the NetGeners. His personal narrative style meshes well with the graphs and charts - an engaging way to display the complex and challenging facts.

This communication piece bridges the generation gap, provides discussion on digital, institutional and societal issues and proposes that the generations work together to make our future bright.

IMHO, GUD is definitely a great gift to give to those special baby boomers or GenXers in your life, and a valuable read for everyone at any age.

(N.B. The second part of my Christmas present to my mother was a FaceBook and Gmail tutorial on her new MacBook!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating examination of the Digital Generation, Jan. 31 2009
Paul A. Gilbert (Essex, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
If you wondered what happen to the kids that Don wrote about in "Growing Up Digital", then read this book. He looks at them and reports that they are doing just fine. In fact he takes issue with those who complain about 'Kids spending all their time on the computer', and declares that they are well adjusted and more in touch then some would give them credit. After reading the book, you will go away realizing your own generation will likely get pwned by this new one, and that you deserve it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timely Guide for Our Times, Dec 19 2008
J. Perron - See all my reviews
Our world is undoubtedly becoming increasingly digitized and interconnected. Without some kind of User's Guide, I think a lot of us are fumbling in the dark in this uncharted territory. If there is a guide to help us understand "all these changes," why they are happening, and just who is leading the way, Grown Up Digital is it. Tapscott saves the reader from techno-babble and jargon and presents a poignant and practical guide.

Grown Up Digital advocates for the Net Generation and shows us why we should embrace, not resist or fear, the changes being ushered in by this cohort. One has to read the book to truly appreciate how far-reaching such changes are. After reading Grown Up Digital the way the Net Generation is shaping the world becomes plainly visible.

The beauty of Grown Up Digital is that it is accesible and relevent to everyone. I'm willing to bet that you will find Grown Up Digital's insights to be valuable in both the personal and professional areas of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great review of nGen - important for all Marketers!, Nov. 13 2010
Charles Dimov (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Don Tapscott provides a solid, well researched overview of NGen's (generation Y) current world, way of thinking, and dynamics of using the latest technology (cell phones, messaging, IM, Social Media, etc).

He provides excellent examples throughout the book of real-world situations and how they were addressed by nGen, as well as providing fascinating statistics throughout.

A great read, filled with enthusiastic optimism for the new generation. A must read for marketing professionals needing to understand the next generation of consumers."

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-researched account of today's youth, Nov. 4 2008
N. Haque - See all my reviews
For starters, I would say this book is somewhat more accessible than Don's previous book Wikinomics (with Anthony Williams - also a great read by the way), especially in terms of its mass appeal. Everyone knows some young people, so I thing everyone can relate. If you are a parent and you have Internet-addicted kids, this book will help you better understand where they're coming from. If you're an employer and you are looking for bright young talent, this book will help you attract and retain them. If you are a marketer and you are trying to sell to young people, this book will definitely help you do so more effectively. If you're an educator trying to reach young people in the classroom, the book provides a few suggestions on how to get through to them. Finally, if you're a young person yourself, the book provides a good introspective look at why you are the way you are.

It's definitely an interesting time to be writing about this topic. I think Grown up Digital provides a solid argument against those that suggest the Internet and video games are rotting the minds of today's youth. Of course, every generation is different than the previous one in very fundamental ways--generational differences are nothing new. This book is a valuable read because it explains these differences using strong, well-researched arguments, with plenty of interesting anecdotes and observations to keep you engaged. An informative and fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the mark again, Dec 22 2008
Paul Barter (Toronto) - See all my reviews
Don has really been on a roll for the last few years. The Naked Corporation was a scary accurate predictor of some of our current economic woes (transparency and all that). Wikinomics hit the nail on the head regarding the rise of the interactive web. Now Grown Up Digital takes an in depth look at the Net Generation and how they are changing the world. I thought it was a balanced view of a fascinating topic and builds on the two previous books from a different frame. Keep up the good work Don!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Agents of Digital Change?, Jan. 1 2009
Ian Gordon Malcomson (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book is an updated study of what has happened to Generation Y over the last fifteen to twenty years. From what Tapscott believes, this group has, for the most part, formed the Net-Gen culture which has, apparently, begun to revolutionize the world in terms of its capacity to think digitally. As an old baby boomer/Luddite from a long way back who has been gradually digitalized over the years, I would not quarrel with Tapscott's assumption that computer technology is changing the way we live, work and interact. After all, our two very enlightened sons are the living epitome of a world digitally transformed. However, I am not convinced, even with the author's impressive array of statistics that portray Generation Y as collaborators and innovators, in the pursuit of design and application, that it has yet shown itself capable of taking the digital revolution beyond the dream stage to make it become a phenomenal reality that truly changes the way we function as humans. Yes, the potential is there for them to move in the right direction but, besides connecting more with themselves, Generation Y needs to reciprocate in kind with the baby boomer generation before bringing them along on the adventure. After all, it is my generation's indulging kindness that has helped, in large part, to bank-roll Generation Y's insatiable appetite for computers. Now, to Generation Y, I would say, show us where you want to take us with all this power at your finger tips because we might be interested in tagging along. Great read with lots of thought-provoking ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World, Oct. 26 2013
A great book, filled with enthusiastic optimism for the new generation.
Bridge between the generations,after reading Grown Up Digital the way the Net Generation is shaping the world becomes plainly visible

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, Dec 16 2012
This book is a must read for any parent or teacher of teenagers or young adults. Where once I was consistent with others of my age category in saying, "This generation is sooo entitled," I now recommend this book to anyone I hear lamenting that phrase. It has given me insight and understanding into a whole new world and way of thinking that I would have missed and not appreciated has I not read the book. Thank you, Don, for this wonderful read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing earth shattering, April 11 2013

Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World
Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World by Don Tapscott (Hardcover - Oct. 24 2008)
CDN$ 30.95 CDN$ 19.40