5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent supplement
I will admit that when I first picked this book up I hated it. By the bottom of page two I was already lost.
Published on March 9 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably fine for suppliment or review; doesn't stand alone.
Published on June 23 2000 by William Dorin

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Supplement to Oppenheim or Proakis (DSP book), July 28 2003
JLC "xqusame" (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This book is intended to serve as a supplement for an EE DSP course, which probably uses one of the texts listed above. If you want to self-study DSP I recommend the Steve Smith book (available in print or on his website) as a place to get started.
The best areas of Dr. Hayes' book are its treatement of sampling (better than John Proakis' book), z-transforms and DFT. I think the FFT treatment was okay and the filter design at the end was a little light, but that is okay since this is really intended for a first semester course. The main purpose of all the Schaum's books is to provide more worked out examples of tricky material and Hayes' book serves the purpose. One final thing, in the introduction, the author says to check out his website that has errata listed, but I typed the address in and got an "under construction" message.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book was excellent, June 11 2003
By A Customer
... of course that could be because my professor gave tests from some of the sample problems in here.. :) But the book was done very well, I thought. It was a great suppliment to our textbook, which was the Digital Signal Processing book written by Leland Jackson (that's Jackson's red book, rather than the infamous Jackson's blue book). The solved problems were very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent supplement, March 9 2003
By A Customer
However to be fair, I did not have the background to read this book. After taking two courses on DSP now, 1 basic and the other on advanced digital filters, I can honestly say I have used this book the most. Not only are there about 50 worked out problems at the end of each chapter, there are even examples during the brief explanation of each chapter.
This book as others have said will not stand alone, meaning if this is the only book you plan to buy on DSP, you will never understand it. This is of course typical of all Schaums books, and is preferable. By the time you get this book you should understand what a discrete time signal is (meaning is mathematical representation Sigma/summation etc) as well as your basic functions like delta dirac, step, exponential, also you should have been introduced to topics like convolution, DFT, FFT and the Z transform.
Once you have been introduced to the above, this book drills you with about 50 well worked out examples on all of them.
If you hate this book, it is (probably) because you are not ready for it yet. DSP is a simple concept that gets surprisingly complicated very fast. This book gets straight to the point and fills in the blanks and examples missing from the text books your forced to buy.
I am very pleased with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must Be Great, Dec 28 2001
Rene Towa (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Most of us know what digital signal processing is all about
but not what it does or how to use it intuitively. I think this
book puts everything together in a more organized fashion to
allow us to intuitively flair the end product even before we
get there. I think that's what studying is all about, create room
for intuition in a system, and that's what is expected from this
book as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Helpful only if you already know the material, Feb. 11 2001
By A Customer
This book is of little help in learning the topic as a stand alone book. The examples are of little use, and most of the problems have no solution listed. Even when answers are given, the supporting work is missing, leaving you wonder how they arrived at their answer. Don't waste your time, or money on this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably fine for suppliment or review; doesn't stand alone., June 23 2000
This book is probably very effective as a suppliment to a class or more formal textbook, but I would not suggest it as a basis for learning DSP. The material strikes me as relatively comprehensive, with only a few errors in the derivations of the solutions to the problems (the answers are, of course, correct). Worst is that there are a few sections in which a string of irrelevant (and sometimes erroneous) derivation takes the place of a solid mathematical development.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good reference book, July 19 1999
By A Customer
I used this book in the DSP class in Georgia Tech. I think it is very useful and explains many complicated issues in plain theory. It uses a lot of examples which are difficult to find in the textbook, like the Oppenheim and Schafer, Discrete-Time Signal Processing.

Schaums Outline of Digital Signal Processing, 2nd Edition
Schaums Outline of Digital Signal Processing, 2nd Edition by Monson Hayes (Paperback - Sept. 7 2011)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57