5.0 out of 5 stars He was wrong....happily
Published on May 5 2000 by Armando E. Pattroni

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor. Choppy read. (4th ed)
Published on Oct. 16 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor. Choppy read. (4th ed), Oct. 16 2002
By A Customer
I was really disappointed with this book. I am an EE and have some background in a few of the topics, and have always hoped to become a proffessional audio engineer. I was hoping this book would get me revved up. It did not. I don't know about previous editions, but I get the feeling the chapters have been through too much cut and paste - there is little consistency between subsections. Subjects are either glossed over superficially, or driven into the ground with over-emphasis on details. On another note, I got a (mint condition) used paperback. It was bound very poorly and started to fall apart by chapter 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars He was wrong....happily, May 5 2000
Armando E. Pattroni (Lima, Peru) - See all my reviews
Professor Pohlmann tried to frighten us in the 1995 edition, he said: I promise I will never write a fourth edition of this title. After laping up the third edition in two woderful weeks, I had to wait for the decision. In 1999 I was hopelessly desperate, but Mr. Pohlmann left a "loophole in (his) vow", as he claims. So, a new gift came to us. Thanks to him, his dedication, and his talent, audio and electronics engineers have a text that covers the totality of the current science of digital audio. For those who read the previous editions, some obvious changes will come up. Some technologies are dead, because it is impossible to resurrect technnologies that the market or the customers have killed (imagine a book about vinile LPs or Betamax VCRs), and other technologies are very alive. Some new features you will find in this edition: DVD (finally an understandable treaty is in our hands), Internet Audio (very topical), new developments in DSP, and some changes made inside previously written chapters (i.e.: the Hoffmann Coding now is in the DVD chapter). For those who have not read the previous editions, this is a very good start in the science of digital audio. If you read the first four chapters very carefully, you are ready to read every single book on the subject that might fall in your hands. I used to recommend the third edition in my college course at Universidad Nacional de Ingenieria. Now my students are encouraged to acquire this new edition, which is indeed the main textbook for my course. I still think that we need a spanish translation of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Compromize Between Theory And Practice, Jan. 4 2000
This book is an excellent primer for current technology in digital audio systems. He keeps the obscure mathematics to a minimum, and introduces you to the great amount of technique available in the field today. I found this book, 1st edition, in the library -- and soon after bought the latest edition. An excellent value for the money, and useful to anyone trying to keep up with the digital techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, Sept. 1 1999
By A Customer
This book covers all the most important audio-related topics...into the details! It can be used as a very good reference and should never quit your desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I be excused? My brain is full..., Oct. 20 1998
Dalevis (Smallsville, Georgia) - See all my reviews
Well written, entertaining, thorough, widely used at colleges and respected by all in the field. Ken covers basic sound and physics to today's applications. There's only one better than this as a resource, and it may be more than what you need ('The Art of Digital Audio' by John Watkinson). Start here, and for 80% of you, this will be all you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent survey of the digital audio landscape., April 23 1998
By A Customer
An excellent intermediate survey of the digital audio landscape. This text covers conversion, signal processing, channel coding and storage as well as current implementations of the technology. Good illustrations are included for visual reinforcement. Pohlmann's breezy writing style guides the reader from basic physics through dense theoretical discussion to practical examples. A freshman college background in physics and mathematics is useful though not essential.

Principles of Digital Audio, Sixth Edition
Principles of Digital Audio, Sixth Edition by Ken Pohlmann (Paperback - Sept. 16 2010)
CDN$ 66.95 CDN$ 42.18