5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and encouraging book for proto-skippers!
What a fantastic book.
I could it read it several times through and keep learning/memorizing more of the tons of useful info.
Published 4 months ago by Stickbugg

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginners
This book covers a wide area in sailing. Some things aren't relevent to the learning to sail. The author tried to fill the pages with words. I was unable to pick up much valuable knowledge from the book. This book is only suitable for beginners or people who want to know a little about sailing.
Published on Feb. 23 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and encouraging book for proto-skippers!, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: The Complete Sailor, Second Edition (Paperback)
What a fantastic book.
Very practical, with a functional flow. For example, the ordering of topics is not necessarily from most simple to most complex, but kind of back and forth between topics, getting more in-depth each time. And this info is as applicable to dinghy sailing as to ocean cruising.

My favorite part is the cool-as-all-get-out hand-illustrations that absolute line this beautiful book with inspired visual flare. Helps us keep in mind the playfulness of sailing, the adventure of it! And all the awesome quotes remind me that sailing is an age-old adventure, from which many idiomatic expressions have drawn their metaphors for the finer philosophies for life.

This works as a personal learning book, as well as a visually pleasing coffee table book with cool pictures and quotes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Sailing For Dummies for dummies like me., March 16 2004
James Doughty "jamez1965" (Reynoldsburg, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I wish I had gotten this before I bought Sailing For Dummies. Sailing For Dummies somehow left me with a lot of unanswered basic questions about sailing. Complete Sailor answered those questions. Complete Sailor also has more illustrations that provide a clearer understanding of just what the heck the author's talking about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great first sailing book, March 27 2001
A few years ago, I became interested in sailing, and came across this book at a local bookstore. I'm glad I did; it's a great introduction. It includes a lot of useful information presented in a straightforward manner, and also gives a good feel for nautical tradition (without being the least bit preachy). I've since done a bunch of sailing. I still think highly of this book, and have occasion to refer to it on questions of nautical terms and techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Canadian Sailor, Sept. 20 2006
William Morland (Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book while taking a CYA basic cruising course. I found The Complete Sailor and the CYA course book were both useful and covered a lot of basic material. What is different about The Complete Sailor is the depth of its explainations, it doesn't stop at telling you a particular technique, it also tells you why that technique is preferable to another.

An excellent book written in plain language.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sailing manual that you'll use for years., Feb. 2 1998
By A Customer
A book that's useful for both the novice and the experienced sailor, one that's really worth the space it takes up onboard. Filled with info that we refer to on every cruise, yet also beautifully illustrated and fun to browse at home. The Staneks - Chicago, IL

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best book for the beginning sailor, Sept. 13 2011
This review is from: The Complete Sailor, Second Edition (Paperback)
This was the first book I read about sailing when I first became interested in sailing. I am happy that it was because three years later it remains at the top of my long list list of sailing books read. I still pick it up and flip through sections because the information is well presented, easy to understand and a pleasure to read. I am a life-long learner in a variety of subjects and I find this book to be the one of the best textbooks I have ever used. It is far superior to the texts that were supplied with sailing and boating courses I took with the CYA and the CPS. I plan to give this book to a friend for Christmas this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for beginner through intermediate, Sept. 30 2001
G. Russell (New York) - See all my reviews
After sailing for 30 years, I was looking for a book for my children to use to give them a solid foundation. I ordered another 5 star book recommended by sailing schools, but ran across this one at the library.
This book is head and shoulders above the other. It covers all the basics in an easy to read style, and the huge number of detailed drawings are both beautiful and incredibly informative.
In addition to the basic stuff you need to know to sail a small boat, it also has a wealth of deeper information, about everything from bouyancy and balance, to boat construction and history.
I'm buying a copy for each of my kids, and recommending it to my sailing friends. As for the other books, I will probably either return them, or leave them to gather dust on a shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Introduction to Sailing, Feb. 5 2001
With superb illustrations and minimal text, this superb primer is the basic text for our sailing school (Orca Sailing). We emphasize key concepts, and this book is perfectly aligned with that intention.
There are a few historical sections and small boat pages we ignore in our larger boat cruising classes, but after 10 years of reading everything about sailing (and often feeling disappointed), this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on sailing!, July 24 2000
I bought it for a friend and ended up reading it myself. I've sailed little boats ever since I was young and was amazed at what I didn't know. This book is fun to read and darn helpful, whether you're just taking up sailing or been doing it awhile. See you on the lake!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, well thought out book., June 6 1999
We operate a sailing school (Women In The Wind) here in Minnesota. Because of how this book is written, for the past two years we've selected it to be included in a packet of information we present to our students.
Our classes are taught "hands on". That is that the studnets learn by doing. Therefore we don't use a "text book" as such. We do, however, encourage our students to read The Complete Sailor, at their leisure; to use it to refresh their memories of what they experienced and learned; but most of all, to ensure their view of sailing remains always challenging, and always positive.
It's as if this book were written for us. Perhaps it was.

The Complete Sailor, Second Edition
The Complete Sailor, Second Edition by David Seidman (Paperback - March 24 2011)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.56