5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Sailing For Dummies for dummies like me.
I wish I had gotten this before I bought Sailing For Dummies. Sailing For Dummies somehow left me with a lot of unanswered basic questions about sailing. Complete Sailor answered those questions. Complete Sailor also has more illustrations that provide a clearer understanding of just what the heck the author's talking about.
Published on March 16 2004 by James Doughty

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginners
This book covers a wide area in sailing. Some things aren't relevent to the learning to sail. The author tried to fill the pages with words. I was unable to pick up much valuable knowledge from the book. This book is only suitable for beginners or people who want to know a little about sailing.
Published on Feb. 23 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Sailing For Dummies for dummies like me., March 16 2004
James Doughty "jamez1965" (Reynoldsburg, OH United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A great first sailing book, March 27 2001
A few years ago, I became interested in sailing, and came across this book at a local bookstore. I'm glad I did; it's a great introduction. It includes a lot of useful information presented in a straightforward manner, and also gives a good feel for nautical tradition (without being the least bit preachy). I've since done a bunch of sailing. I still think highly of this book, and have occasion to refer to it on questions of nautical terms and techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Canadian Sailor, Sept. 20 2006
William Morland (Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book while taking a CYA basic cruising course. I found The Complete Sailor and the CYA course book were both useful and covered a lot of basic material. What is different about The Complete Sailor is the depth of its explainations, it doesn't stop at telling you a particular technique, it also tells you why that technique is preferable to another.

An excellent book written in plain language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for beginner through intermediate, Sept. 30 2001
G. Russell (New York) - See all my reviews
After sailing for 30 years, I was looking for a book for my children to use to give them a solid foundation. I ordered another 5 star book recommended by sailing schools, but ran across this one at the library.
This book is head and shoulders above the other. It covers all the basics in an easy to read style, and the huge number of detailed drawings are both beautiful and incredibly informative.
In addition to the basic stuff you need to know to sail a small boat, it also has a wealth of deeper information, about everything from bouyancy and balance, to boat construction and history.
I'm buying a copy for each of my kids, and recommending it to my sailing friends. As for the other books, I will probably either return them, or leave them to gather dust on a shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sailing manual that you'll use for years., Feb. 2 1998
By A Customer
A book that's useful for both the novice and the experienced sailor, one that's really worth the space it takes up onboard. Filled with info that we refer to on every cruise, yet also beautifully illustrated and fun to browse at home. The Staneks - Chicago, IL

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book does not "Assume"! And you know what happens..., Dec 29 1998
Sailing is filled with intricacies of terms and techniques. The more knowledgeable I become of sailing, the more questions I seem to have. Wish I had found this book when I started sailing. Now, as a sailor of some experience, I find this book re-teaching me the basics in a way that answers more questions than it creates. Other books leave out explanation of terms and/or subjects and otherwise assume reader knowledge. This book covers sailing in a way that is thorough yet concise. The drawings and diagrams are extremely successful in deploying the author's subject. The information is complete without being textbook. It is enjoyable. If I had to rebuild my sailing library today, this would be the first but on the self!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, well thought out book., June 6 1999
We operate a sailing school (Women In The Wind) here in Minnesota. Because of how this book is written, for the past two years we've selected it to be included in a packet of information we present to our students.
Our classes are taught "hands on". That is that the studnets learn by doing. Therefore we don't use a "text book" as such. We do, however, encourage our students to read The Complete Sailor, at their leisure; to use it to refresh their memories of what they experienced and learned; but most of all, to ensure their view of sailing remains always challenging, and always positive.
It's as if this book were written for us. Perhaps it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Introduction to Sailing, Feb. 5 2001
With superb illustrations and minimal text, this superb primer is the basic text for our sailing school (Orca Sailing). We emphasize key concepts, and this book is perfectly aligned with that intention.
There are a few historical sections and small boat pages we ignore in our larger boat cruising classes, but after 10 years of reading everything about sailing (and often feeling disappointed), this is the one!

3.0 out of 5 stars For beginners, Feb. 23 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on sailing!, July 23 2000
I bought it for a friend and ended up reading it myself. I've sailed little boats ever since I was young and was amazed at what I didn't know. This book is fun to read and darn helpful, whether you're just taking up sailing or been doing it awhile. See you on the lake!

The Complete Sailor, Second Edition
The Complete Sailor, Second Edition by David Seidman (Paperback - April 14 2011)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 18.95