5.0 out of 5 stars The right book to help you pass the exam with high marks
Published on March 15 2003 by rajatshyam

3.0 out of 5 stars Not complete
This book is not a comprehensive study guide. You will need significant other resources to help you prepare for the exam properly. There is virtually no coverage of assignment conversion, method invocation conversion or numerical promotion.
If your planning to take the test this book is not enough, look for more study resources and practice exams on the Internet.
Published on April 14 2004 by Mark Twain

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, April 8 2003
This review is from: Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2 Study Guide (Exam 310-035 & 310-027) (Paperback)
This is a very good book. It makes Java 1.4 very easy by using detailed discussions, many examples, and some very helpful diagrams.
What I liked the most about this book is that it also gives some practice programming projects(not very big). The exams on the cd are also good and I was able to download a bonus master exam from the learnkey site. What I would have liked to see is 6% more diagrams. In some areas, diagrams would have been best to use instead of detailed explanations. Overall, it's a very good book and I've had others which did not do a very good job in explaining things

4.0 out of 5 stars Cuts to the chase, and points out the "Gotcha's"., April 7 2003
Preston Romney (Midway, Ut United States) - See all my reviews
This book doesnt beat around the bush, but cuts right to the tricks that are likely to show up on the exam.
EASY/HUMOROUS
This guide is very easy read, especially compared to other cert prep books! Many books of this kind, tend to put me to sleep. With this book however, I found my self laughing out loud throughout each chapter. Its really humorous, and not your typical "Geek Humor". It catches you off guard and is a very fun way to understanding the more serious and boring topics.
I passed but could have done much better had I given more time to the practice exam on the CD. I spent more time on each chapter and sample questions, and only took the practice exam once and didn't spend very much time reviewing the questions after. My suggestion would be not to stress out on each chapter along the way (the sample questions are meant to be hard for a reason). Also take advantage of the CD by reviewing every question, and taking it more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars The right book to help you pass the exam with high marks, March 15 2003
An excellent book to prepare for the exam in a short time! It helped me a lot with the "gotcha" kind of concepts important for the exam. I scored 85% with it's help! The authors' experience of being on the team that prepares the actual exam questions, greatly contributes in focussing on the relevant concepts required to take the exam. The self-test and reviews in each chapter are simply excellent. I also liked the authors subtle sense of humor throughout the book!
I strongly recommend that you should use this book for your preparation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, take the test, and celebrate your score, March 5 2003
I've just passed the programmer exam and I owe it to this book. The authors explain very well all concepts and details of the language needed in the exam, guiding the reader about what is more important to keep in mind while taking it. All this without loosing the sense of humor! Everything that was asked in the exam was covered in this book and the three practice exams included in the cd are *very* similar to the real one.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to pass with high mark, Feb. 22 2003
Ralph Dolen (San Jose, California USA) - See all my reviews
This is the only book I used, and it was all I needed. I looked at the online specification a couple of times, and that was it. I studied with this book a little bit every day for three weeks, and passed with a 92%. Everything is extremely helpful explanation. I wish all other technical books were written more like this one. The focus is on the exam and on helping to pass the exam. The self-test and reviews in each chapter are simply excellent.
There are a lot of gotchas on the SCJP exam and this book tells you how to beware and 'watch out' for these tricky details that I would not have known about. The practice tests are not more hard than the real exam, but they are almost identical to the difficulties of the real exam. I felt very well prepared when I sat my examination.
The book does not use 'terse' explanation that is technically correct but very difficult to read. Instead, it will make sure that you have understood something by explaining it in several different ways. Very useful for difficult concepts. I was hearing myself say over and again, "So THAT is how it works! Now I understand!"
I strongly recommend that this is a book to have for your studies, and you do not need to do anything else except what the book tells you to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars _Excellent_ book/guide, Jan. 17 2003
I purchased this book looking to clarify the obscure little language details that we all think we "know" when programming Java - and what a delightful surprise it gave me! The book addresses language specifics found on the exam that a lot of programmers do not use or even imagine using on a daily basis. After every chapter, it provides highlights from that chapter which alone in and of itsels is probably sufficient to pass that specific portion of the exam, considering you are not very new to Java. The humorous overtones throughout the text make this book easy and very catchy and pleasurable to read. It is written in a very down-to-earth style, and does not use any more technical jargon than is necessary. It does not attempt to teach you Java from scratch, however. This would probably be better left to some of the good tutorials already out there by Sun. Its focus and sole purpose is to prepare you for the type of questions you are likely to encounter on the exam (and it does a damn well job at that!). The first 9 chapters cover all the topic you are required to know in grave detail in order to pass the Java Certified Programmer exam, and the latter chapters are dedicated to passing the Java Developer exam. It is updated for the 1.4 exam and does not cover certain topics that were covered by the 1.2 exam (like AWT). The feeling you get upon reading the first nine chapters is one of extreme familiarity with Java and its constructs. Given your prior Java experience and enough time to get through this book prior to taking the exam, there is no reason why anyone should not score in the 90-th percentile of the exam or above!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-Have book, Jan. 5 2003
This book is very well written and covers all topics in detail for SCJP 310-035. The presentation is just wonderful and it keeps you interested. After every chapter, there is a two-minute drill which is a summary of the chapter and would definitely be useful the day before the exam.
Also, for passing the exam, try taking as many mock exams as possible. They all really help.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Java study guide available--highly recommended!!!, Jan. 21 2003
I had just passed the Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 1.4 Platform exam (with a score of 80%), and I want to help prospective test takers in finding the "right" Java study guide. I was bewildered by the number of books available, and I had to try many of them before I settled on the right one. Here are my short reviews for each of the major Java study guides:
"Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2 Study Guide" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates (five stars): I felt this book was the best among all the Java study guides. Both the authors were responsible for the Java certification exam's development, and the practice questions are *very* similar to the actual exam. The authors also cover exactly what will be on the 1.4 exam, pointing out potential topics, questions, and pitfalls. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
"A Programmer's Guide to Java Certification" by Khalid Mughal and Rolf Rasmussen (four stars): This is a good choice if you plan on taking the 1.2 exam. The book also has a dual purpose of teaching Java and sometimes goes beyond the actual scope of the exam, but it is nonetheless excellent. However, as the title suggests, this isn't the book for you if you don't have any programming experience. Also, the book's practice questions are much, much harder than the actual exam.
"Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide (3rd Edition)" by Philip Heller and Simon Roberts (two stars): This was the most disappointing book of all. I don't know why so many people swear by it, but the book appeared to have been rushed into production. Many of the errors and typos have been updated in the book's second printing, but the book's coverage of topics is quite weak. Lastly, the practice questions were not only too easy, but they don't look very similar to how questions look on the real test. It's not a terrible book (many people appear to have passed the exam with just this book), but there are better options.
"Java 2 Exam Prep" by Bill Brodgen (three stars): This compact study guide isn't a bad choice for prospective test takers with a good Java foundation. It covers all the exam's topics succinctly, but as another reviewer noted, it should not be your primary study guide. I personally did not find the book particularly useful.
Lastly, sign up for Sun's ePractice practice exams. You'll get three sample tests, and they will help you prepare for the exam by showing you how the questions will look and what type of questions they will ask. I didn't like the idea of spending the extra money, but the practice exams definitely helped me prepare for the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raghu Konala, Feb. 15 2003
"konala01" (Overland park, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This is the best book to consider while preparing for Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4. The book greatly explains all the details about Java programming. The Exam watch and 2 minutes drill are very helpful. I have succeded Sun certification with a good percentile only be studying this book and trying out the examples using note pad.The test exams and master exams really helps you and provides you a complete GUI similar to Sun Certification. I strongly recommend this book to be considered for your Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4.

5.0 out of 5 stars if ( buybook) exam=pass;, Feb. 11 2003
"eddyaer" (brooklyn, ny United States) - See all my reviews
This book is perfect for people who wants to pass the 310-035 exam. I have been a computer science student for three years, I started studying java in august 2002, I bought this book in december 2002 and I passed the 310-035 exam in january 2003. Need I say more?.. yes.
The author illustrates the material in colorful anecdotes that make reading enjoyable. I have read the programmer part of the book in a week. There were some subtle typos and if you want to pass the developer exam you will need to do more readings.
I suggest you try the "patterns in java" tutorials... I will add more later once I pass the 310-027 exam. happy cramming !

ARRAY(0xbd19cd38)