5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a PMP Exam Book that works
This is an excellent book for prepping for the PMP Exam. Period.
Every chapter in the book corresponds with the PMBOK for quick reference. You can read the PMBOK and then read a chapter from Mr. Phillips' book and understand what the PMBOK is trying to say. His book is easy to follow and with 700 PMP practice questions you can't go wrong.
Published on Jan. 16 2004 by quickbfox

3.0 out of 5 stars Very inefficient as a study guide
I was dissatisfied with this book for the following reasons:
- Inefficient as a PMP study guide. Although the book calls itself a PMP study guide, it is much more of a project management tutorial. Too much material devoted to training and theory, not enough focus on specific test topics.
- Numerous practice exam questions introduce new material that was never...
Published on March 28 2004 by G. Gagnon

3.0 out of 5 stars Very inefficient as a study guide, March 28 2004
G. Gagnon "gary108" (Fairfield, IA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PMP Project Management Professional Study Guide (Paperback)
I was dissatisfied with this book for the following reasons:
- Numerous practice exam questions introduce new material that was never covered in the text and cannot be correctly answered based solely on studying this book. e.g., The answer for Ch.9, Q 12 is "halo effect", a term that does not appear anywhere else in the book. (I serached the CDROM version.)
- Excessively verbose and formulaic structure. At least 35% of the text in this book is useless fluff with no new or actionable knowledge. Many of the chapter sections appear to exist simply to follow a preset outline that was applied uniformly to most chapters, even though there was nothing new or actionable to say
in that section.
- Excessively repetitive. The amount of repetition is mind-numbing. It is very hard to sift out the bits of new information when they are surrounded by so much information that has already been adequately presented several times before.
- Unacceptable number of errors in the material. I found at least 3 definite errors in the practice exam answers (e.g. the calculation of PV in Chp. 7, Q. 12). And there were also errors and inconsistencies in some explanations (e.g. definitions of Optimal Quality and Marginal Analysis in Chp 8).
Bottom line: After finishing this book, I do feel prepared for the test, but it caused a lot of wasted time and frustration with the style and errors. I think studying the PMBOK alone would have been much more effeicient and effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a PMP Exam Book that works, Jan. 16 2004
This is an excellent book for prepping for the PMP Exam. Period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great study aid to help in studying for the PMP exam!, April 22 2004
I limited myself to buying on one study book for the PMP exam (in conjunction with the PMBOK). At a local bookstore I compared this book with Rita Mulcahy's book and several others. I found Joseph Phillips book to be the most to my liking. I was impressed with the "exam tips" that were buried throughout the book to point out important info. I took the PMP exam today and passed on my first try. The format of the exam and the questions on it were very similar to those exam questions in this book and on the free cd. This book helped explain many concepts to me that I felt the PMBOK did an inadequate job of doing. My biggest complaint with the PMBOK is that it doesn't dedicate any time to explaining concepts or stressing their importance.
I would STRONGLY recommend this book to anyone looking for a study aid for the PMP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent PMP Study Guide, Feb. 3 2004
By A Customer
This book is more complete than other PMP books I reviewed. It is clearly written, has excellent examples, and corresponds to the PMBOK. The 700+ questions have detailed answers with explanations. I am recommending this book to all my friends who are studying for the PMP exam!

5.0 out of 5 stars PMP Project Management Professional Study Guide, March 1 2004
WOW! If I had read this book eight months ago, I would've saved myself over $6,000 (educational costs associated with preparing for the PMP exam). This study guide is amazing. The information is presented in a very user friendly format. I ABSOLUTELY love the 'exam watch' notes. They have been instrumental in preparing me for the PMI thought process associated with the exam content. The practice exams at the end of each chapter have been extremely helpful, as has been the prep material on the included CD.
My confidence is soaring! I am ready for this exam, and I owe it all to Joe Phillips and his team.........

5.0 out of 5 stars PMP Success, Jan. 29 2004
RG (Indianapolis) - See all my reviews
Great book. I found this book to be on target for the PMP examination. It's easy to follow, it's in step with PMI's PMBOK, and has over 700 questions. Excellent resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, March 2 2004
As I am a professional and a project manager, the book has been extremely informative. Mr. Phillips has done an extraodinary job of making his book 'readable'. I cannot tell you how many books that I have read and lost interest. Mr. Phillips' writing style is unique and entertaining. The content of this book is extremely helpful in even day to day management. I have suggested to most of my colleagues that they make this a must read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me pass the exam!, May 7 2004
I used Joe Phillip's PMP Study Guide in preparation for the PMP examination. It was of significant help in translating the PMBOK into real world examples and aiding me in passing the PMP exam. I used Phillip's book in addition to Rita Mulcahy's and found both good, but Phillip's did a better job of making the material approachable and also included an excellent sample test on CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Feb. 5 2004
Mr. Phillips taught a project management training class at our company and used this book as part of his course. The book is easy to read, very conversational, and matches up with the PMBOK. I highly recommend this book! (By the way, Mr. Phillips has a free project management newsletter that I like too. You can get it on the web at projectseminars.com).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good companion with PMBOK, June 30 2004
It is a very good companion book with PMBOK. You can read them side-by-side as this book elaborates all the concepts in PMBOK + general management concepts (like motivation, conflict management, etc.) which are not in PMBOK but you will be tested on the exam. I read PMBOK once, 2 times on this book and I passed the exam.

PMP Project Management Professional Study Guide
PMP Project Management Professional Study Guide by Joseph Phillips (Paperback - Dec 22 2003)
CDN$ 86.95 CDN$ 44.98