5.0 out of 5 stars A great self-study or classroom guide to the Microchip PIC .
Published on July 22 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish the book covered more topics.
I saw no chapters on other programming languages like picc or picbasic. This is unfortunate seeing as the author seems to explain things very well. I would have enjoyed reading about these subjects from this author.
Published on June 12 2001 by Laura Cummings

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish the book covered more topics., June 12 2001
Laura Cummings (Deer Park, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming and Customizing the Pic Microcontroller (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Beginners, Feb. 25 2000
Daniel Derrow (North Central Indiana) - See all my reviews
The first six chapters are on/in the Microchip website/data book. Chapters seven through nine are decated to software and hardward design. The rest are on the emulator, hints and code examples.
I bought the book for examples on input/output interfacing and coding. I found one or no input examples and several output examples. Hardware examples were better than coding examples.
This project was my first with uController's but I have been programming and designing hardware for several years. After getting helpful straight foreward examples on input/output hardware and software design, the book became more of an asset. This book is not for beginners.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good book for beginners, Dec 13 1999
By A Customer
This is definately not a book for beginners. There is a lack of order and some things are repeated a couple times. Some basic concepts aren't explained and without them just about everything else dosen't make much sense. If you still decide to buy it I would recommend downloading the datasheets from Microchip and read those before you start the book; and also finding a short description of the commands. One good thing is that he will answer your emails and answer your questions

1.0 out of 5 stars PIC Microcontroller, Nov. 29 1999
By A Customer
This is the most poorly written book I've read in years. Spending a few minutes at the Microchip web site will provide better information (and the editing will be a few hundred times better.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Differences between Harware and Software, Sept. 7 1999
By A Customer
This book will setup the beginner with a HOW-TO for developing the hardware necessary to program the PIC. It delves very little into the HOW-TO of the actual software. If you are looking for the instruction set or the methodologies of programming, start with Microchip's Data books. However, if you want a jump start to developing your own hardware to program the PIC, this is an excellent resource. Note that with as many websites as there are today, you may be able to find most of the information online, however, this book will give you a nice place to start your hardware designs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great self-study or classroom guide to the Microchip PIC ., July 22 1999
By A Customer
This wonderful book allows students of all levels of electronics to gain a good understanding of the PIC architecture and programming . The scope is well - defined throughout , with numerous experiments and a wealth of PIC resources outside of the text . I am using the book myself and found all the examples clearly explained - as of now I am building a PIC programmer from the layout included in the book . I recommend this text to anyone who wishes to get a hands on course in this topic !

1.0 out of 5 stars Most Poorly written Book I have read in last 5 years, July 14 1999
The author may know the subject, however by reading the book one does not get that feeling. The book has numerous errors. The author has no idea as to how a book should be written clearly so that people can understand the subject. Microchip data sheets are written better than the whole book. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANY BODY. FIND A DIFFERENT BOOK IF YOU WANT TO LEARN THIS SUBJECT OF PIC MICROCONTROLLERS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor organization and writing, July 12 1999
By A Customer
After reading the mixed reviews, I bought this book anyway. Even the more negative reviews had not prepared me for the vague writing style and, much worse, the very real lack of structure. There is progression of ideas is weak and haphazard with insufficient explanation of basic concepts. It is possible to learn from this book, but only by reading the datasheets first, and then perhaps by reading the book cover to cover twice -- I had expected the book to serve as a self-contained introduction, allowing me to use the datasheet only as a reference, but I could not use it as such. Instead of this book, I recommend Peatman's book over this one (also sold by Amazon). It has everything this book lacks, and covers more ground, including features of the more advanced PIC controllers.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT the first PIC book you should buy, June 21 1999
By A Customer
I was VERY disapointed by this book on my first few readings. There is NO clear layout, introduction, or progress of concepts as the book goes along. There are mistakes in places (that I known of). Only AFTER reading the detailed PIC specs from Microchip was I able to go back and read Mike's book. AFTER knowing the things Mike did not tell me, I was able to read his book and get much of value from among the pages. Summary: After you learn about PICs, Mike's book may well be worth the cover price.

1.0 out of 5 stars A disorganized mishmosh; a waste of time and effort., June 18 1999
By A Customer
After reading the earlier, excellent book in this series on Basic Stamps, I was hoping to find another book of similar quality to help me delve into the world of PICs. I am, to say the least, very disappointed. I'm a senior level software engineer with a good hardware background, but I found this book to be so unclear as to be nearly unreadable. There is little logical progression in building the reader's conceptualizations. Facts are introduced seemingly at random. Irrelevant ideas are gratuitously tossed in, only to be rescinded shortly after. I looked in vain for a chapter that lived up to its title, and felt disappointed with each and every one. There isn't even an appendix listing the processor's instruction set! There's no way I could program a PIC after reading this book, and I'm almost as ignorant about them as before. All in all, a very frustrating experience.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Programming and Customizing the Pic Microcontroller
Programming and Customizing the Pic Microcontroller by Michael Predko (Paperback - Sept. 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.61