Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Being a radio amateur I decided to build a processor controlled small band fm-receiver. I was faced to the problem to develop a LCD-Display and a PLL (Phase Locked Loop) oscillator which both need control of a microprocessor.
Having no experience using these wonderful devices I decided to buy Mike's book to get the knowledge how to program a Microchip PIC processor and to understand what I am doing. Most of all I like the mix of theory and experiments in his book. After reading the theoretical part the experiments are providing "Aha"-effects even if only a LED flashes in a manner programmed to the PIC processor. The provided theory enables me to influence the manner and to understand what's going on.
The software included is a real good starting point for my own application. For example the file LCD3LINE.INC made interfacing to the LCD-Diplay easy. Now I am starting to develop the I2C-bus controlled PLL and I am glad to find a software example on this bus in his book too.
Thomas Martin, DF7TV.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Myke's book is more detailed and will give you a more complete knowledge of the PIC MCU than any of the other books I have seen on this subject. Several different pics are covered, not just the 16x84, giving the ability to move on to the rest of the PIC line with relative ease. The software included on disk covers all the projects in the book and has useful routines that you will want in your development files ( such as: lcd, I2C, & serial). The stimulus files for the simulator and include files are also included
The programming is covered well and there are some tricks, shortcuts and insights that would be difficult or impossible to get elsewhere. Style, high level languages, and macros are covered without damaging the readers individuality or personal preferences. The Microchip development tools are included and their use is fully explained. There is a whole chapter on 16 bit math and the same for useful routines.
Hardware takes you through interfacing and driving external electronics with several types of glue logic and several input routines for a-d, switch debounce and much more. Power supply and clocks are covered nicely. The projects are fun, useful and a complete review of all the text. There are invaluable hints on layout as well. Parts for the projects are available and affordable. You would have to buy dozens of electronics magazines to get this many quality projects. The programmer and emulator are worth the cost of the book alone! The author (Myke) is available on the web for corrections and clairifications.
on July 6, 1998
This is the only PIC book that I have evaluated so far, but I am a little disappointed.
This book gives a competent description of the PIC microcontroller, but in my opinion suffers from a lack of organization and editting.
I found the text of the book to be repetitive and verbose. Diagrams and illustrations were repeated inappropriately. I expected terse, RTL-style descriptions of instructions, this book instead forced me to extract a functional description from lengthy verbiage and the direction of arrows on a figure. A table describing status register updates would have been handy.
With these gripes said, the book is still a good introduction to PIC programming -- my expectations had been higher, however.
Perhaps this book is better suited for mechanical hobbyists who want to quickly learn to implement a PIC design, rather than computer hobbyists who want all the rigorous detail.
on June 17, 1999
After reading the earlier, excellent book in this series on Basic Stamps, I was hoping to find another book of similar quality to help me delve into the world of PICs. I am, to say the least, very disappointed. I'm a senior level software engineer with a good hardware background, but I found this book to be so unclear as to be nearly unreadable. There is little logical progression in building the reader's conceptualizations. Facts are introduced seemingly at random. Irrelevant ideas are gratuitously tossed in, only to be rescinded shortly after. I looked in vain for a chapter that lived up to its title, and felt disappointed with each and every one. There isn't even an appendix listing the processor's instruction set! There's no way I could program a PIC after reading this book, and I'm almost as ignorant about them as before. All in all, a very frustrating experience.
on January 17, 1999
The author is obviously very experienced in PIC system design. I hesitate to recommend this book for a beginner, however. The author sometimes seems to write for a beginner, then on the next page seems to require substantial prior programming experience.
Unfortunately, the book is spoiled by the author's inability to write clear English. The publisher - Tab/McGraw-Hill - appears to have put this book into print without any attempt to untangle the author's many grammatical errors. The authors flippancy and carelessness with language comes across as a disrespect for the reader. Examples: "I'm a bottoms-up kind of guy" ; "some people will get extremely obnoxious and will give you lectures on the baud rate vs data rate" ; "Actually, I lied" ; "I don't know if I'm just being anal retentive."
on July 12, 1999
After reading the mixed reviews, I bought this book anyway. Even the more negative reviews had not prepared me for the vague writing style and, much worse, the very real lack of structure. There is progression of ideas is weak and haphazard with insufficient explanation of basic concepts. It is possible to learn from this book, but only by reading the datasheets first, and then perhaps by reading the book cover to cover twice -- I had expected the book to serve as a self-contained introduction, allowing me to use the datasheet only as a reference, but I could not use it as such. Instead of this book, I recommend Peatman's book over this one (also sold by Amazon). It has everything this book lacks, and covers more ground, including features of the more advanced PIC controllers.
on April 8, 1999
Reading this, I felt sorry for Mr. Predko. Doesn't McGraw-Hill have editors to point out that it is customary to create a logical, linear progression of concepts? Were there no proofreaders to tell the author that to immediately retract a statement is a waste of the reader's time and attention? The poor organization, grammar, and phrasing were not what I expect in a book of this price from a major publisher. The technical content is acceptable, given the implicit target audience of hobbyists. The processor architecture diagrams, though, are of a type meant for those who study or design processors. They are mostly useless for software/firmware developers who are more interested in the conceptual machine than how data flows through the ALU.
on January 8, 1999
This book was purchased to help understand how to program the PIC micro. It was as bad as the PIC literature. It was written at a level that assumed the user was familiar with microprocessors and jumped right into a rehash of the convoluted PIC literature. Needless to say it was simply another book that got relegated to the library shelf. I don't recommend anyone buy this book if you are trying to learn anything about the PIC. The problem is mainly that professors should not be writing books for ordinary engineers to read. I was looking for a book that outlined in simple language how to use the PIC. This book was an absolute disappointment. This would be a book I would ask to have my money refunded.
on February 25, 2000
The first six chapters are on/in the Microchip website/data book. Chapters seven through nine are decated to software and hardward design. The rest are on the emulator, hints and code examples.
I bought the book for examples on input/output interfacing and coding. I found one or no input examples and several output examples. Hardware examples were better than coding examples.
This project was my first with uController's but I have been programming and designing hardware for several years. After getting helpful straight foreward examples on input/output hardware and software design, the book became more of an asset. This book is not for beginners.
on November 28, 1998
This book has some good examples of both code and circuitry. Unfortunately, that is the only positive thing I can say about it. There are a number of technical errors and typographic errors. The book is poorly organized and glosses over many issues which demand more detail. From section to section the author assumes different levels of reader knowledge. Concepts are used before being defined, terminology is used incosistently, and many explanations make no sense. As an experienced engineer I can recognize the author's intended message, but the language fails to convey it. This book is the worst example of poor grammar I have ever seen in print.