5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent treatment of confusing subject.
Published on Jan. 13 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed
Published on Aug. 20 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed, Aug. 20 1998
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
I wouldn't recommend this book to a beginner; it presents various style sheet elements in an orderly way, but to actaully create a stylesheet you would have to pick through many pages and make some guesses. The author's samples, their own web sites, are amateurish looking and hard to read. Some factual errors detract from the book's credibility (eg, p. 39 special character formatting is given incorrectly, minus the semi-colon; p. 136 - A centimeter is not 3.94 inches!) The accompanying CD-ROM is disappointing: the promised "sample documents" are the author's own web docs with (to me) inferior design. The book is well edited however and attractive appearing.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is laughably bad, Feb. 14 2001
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
Style Sheets is a complicated topic, and this book, which looks like it was written in two days, does not cover the heart of the matter at all, it covers all other stuff about the internet and HTML. The glossary (which is totally unnecessary) at the end looks like it was taken directly of somewhere on the internet, and helped fill a few pages.
The book also had tons of errors. Almost every page has several errors. And I am not talking just about misspellings. The examples have bugs, the links are outdated, the explanation is flawed.
If you really must buy this book, I would please urge you to first go to a bookstore, and browse through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent treatment of confusing subject., Jan. 13 1999
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
This book really helped me master cascading style sheets. It is well-organized and leads you through all the basics before showing exactly how to create simple style sheets. After reading this book I was able to apply what I learned to create my own Web page styles. I think very experienced HTML coders will find the early part of this book too basic for their needs, but it fills the bill for the rest of us. I also recommend Danny Goodman's Dynamic HTML, which has an exhaustive look at how various browsers support (or don't support) style sheets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for beginners!, Nov. 5 1998
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
As a beginner with HTML, I found this book to be both a great introduction to HTML as well as to cascading style sheets themselves. I really liked being able to sample several different HTML editors, and there were instructions on how to upgrade to the latest versions online.
Most of the problems I've been having can be traced to the lack of support for style sheets in even the leading browsers, but this book helped me clear up most of my difficulties. Hats off to Busch and Olson.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money (sorry amazon.com), Dec 1 1998
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
I agree fully with the reader from eastern CT who said "its worse than I though". Too much of the book is about basic HTML. The CD is unnecessary. There are not enough useful examples of web sites employing CSS and, it is not a handy reference like I had hoped. People interested in the topic would do better to get their info from the various web sites that are publishing good, succint lessons on CS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning tool!, Dec 17 1998
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
I learned a lot about both HTML and CSS from this book. Those of us who are still struggling to hand-code Web pages find a thorough approach like this to be an invaluable help. I thought the CD-ROM with the evaluation copies of the software was a great idea. It's a shame that an anonymous person is allowed to post three different reviews bad-mouthing this book, for whatever motives. I really liked it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree it's a great book!, Feb. 8 1999
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
I agree with the reviewers who found this to be a great book. It's packed with good information and leads you step-by-step through creating your first style sheets. I don't agree with the anonymous person who keeps leaving fake reviews under different names. I don't know what their beef is, but I really liked the HTML explanations and examples, as well as the shareware software.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tough Luck, April 2 2000
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
I was not impressed with the book. Here's why: 1). having a strong HTML background and some CSS background, I did not learn a substantial amount worth anything to me and 2). I did not feel that it dealt with the problem of browser inconsistencies adequately. I learned more by printing off the 338 pages of CSS2 specs from the World Wide Web Consortium.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book for beginners, June 11 2000
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
I didn't know much about style sheets or HTML when I got this book, and it taught me what I needed to know quite painlessly. I recommend it for any beginner who wants to learn to use Cascading Style Sheets. The CD-ROM wasn't great, but the text was pretty good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Still bad, April 1 1999
This review is from: Cascading Style Sheets Complete (Paperback)
There are many good parts, but this book is flawed. It is clearly intended for use by beginners if you alredy know HTML or cascading style sheets it won't help you. The CD-ROM doesn't work on a Macintosh. Sometimes I wonder why I keep coming back here.

Cascading Style Sheets Complete
Cascading Style Sheets Complete by David Busch (Paperback - Feb. 25 1998)
CDN$ 67.95 CDN$ 42.81