5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful children's book
A fantasy novel that is only lightly touched with obvious magic. Redwall maintains its charm in telling a sort of medieval fairy tale...but with animals as your main cast.
Published 9 months ago by Hope Gilpo

3.0 out of 5 stars Well . . .
Published on Feb. 6 2001 by EMAN NEP

3.0 out of 5 stars Well . . ., Feb. 6 2001
This review is from: Redwall (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book because I heard that the series was pretty good. I remember the first page where the mouse says, "I tripped on my abbot, father habit." I absolutely loved that part, and still do. But as I got further, my mind told me that this was going to be another one of those predictable fantasy novels. I had no doubt in my mind that the good guy was going to win because the good guys were so pure and good and the bad guys were so stupid that they couldn't possibly win anyway. As far as the storyline goes, it was okay and kinda original. The artwork was very good, I thought. Bottom line: If you want something simple and pleasant, this is good fantasy. If you want something darker and more complex, more like hardcore fantasy read something else.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Fantasy Novel, June 24 2014
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
This is a coming-of-age story that is written well for the young reader, mixing humor and adventure with drama. It does not hold back on its most important themes: even where creatures love peace, wars must be fought for survival, and the price of victory can be heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful children's book, Sept. 29 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars great, Aug. 9 2013
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
Exactly what I wanted and sooner than expected delivery. I will be back.I loved these books as kid and now my son is excited to read them

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia attack, July 23 2013
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
I read the books and loved the show as a child, so I re-read amongst waves of nostalgia, probably coloring my perception. I'd say it's great for kids and well enough written for adults to get some legitimate entertainment out of it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warms the heart and soul better than a cup of soup...., Oct. 15 2002
Mama Kimmberli "Mama Kimmberli" (Boonies - Southwest, Chicago) - See all my reviews
Good triumphs over evil...that is the resounding lesson that a reader will learn in this creative, free-spirited book. Despite the fact that disgusting rats run rampant throughout Mossflower and are trying desperately to claim Redwall as their own (under the leadership of the nastiest, most evil rat of all, Cluny the Scourge), the mice and woodland creatures of the Abbey work together providing support, hard-work, humor and love to triumph. There are plenty of reviews that will delve into the plot a little more and will give you an overview of what to expect. What I'd like to explore is the difference between this and other books on the market today....
This book gives the reader a sense that, if one sets their mind to it, one can accomplish anything. Also, working closely with loved ones, having a brave heart and never doubting oneself will always make one a winner. Matthias, the mouse warrior, is the perfect role model for children and adults alike. He thinks not of himself and how he will benefit from a difficult decision, but how he can help everyone around him...even those he just met and may not be too fond of after first meeting (think of the Sparras and the Guerilla Union of Shrews). Lastly, Jacques keeps the gore and blood out of the book...he has an uncanny knack of describing the scenes (including death and defeat) without being overly descriptive of flying body parts or oozing blood.
There are so many fun and interesting characters, too. From Sam the paw-sucking squirrel to Basil Stag Hare the eccentric warrior with the insatiable appetite, you'll find yourself rooting on the side of good and having a jolly good time at it.
The language of the book is written in formal English...Jacques enchants you and you'll find yourself drooling at his descriptive writings about the food at the Abbey. He could make a pile of wet hay sound appetizing! Honestly, the reading will be slow going for younger children...not because it's boring, but because they will have to grasp his writing form. It's not written in the simplest form, which I applaud because it is educational as well as entertaining. I feel that, as children read, they will start to comprehend. His books are page-turners...and the family will be best to curl up beside the fire with this book and a kettle of popcorn. It will provide hours of fun (have your kids re-enact the scenes while you read aloud to them) and cherished family memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fantasy/childrens book, March 26 2004
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
The comparisons between Brian Jaques' world of Redwall and Mossflower Woods and Tolkein's Middle Earth masterpieces are inevitable, as both authors create full worlds of cultures, languages and races. But there are definite advantages to the "Redwall" series, especially this first offering. Jaques writes with more precise description, and does not manage to bore the readers with endless exposition on the different creatures that the readers encounter, without sacrificing what we need to know about the rats, stoats, mice, badgers and hedgehogs.
"Redwall" is the story of a peaceful abbey in the middle of Mossflower forest until it is invaded by the menacing rat Cluny the Scourge. One young mouse inside the abbey, Matthias, begins his quest to find the sword of the legendary Martin the Warrior, the sworn protector of Redwall and its inhabitants. As the peace-loving and caring citizens of Redwall defend their land against the rat horde, Matthias heads out into the world to find the sword, encountering numerous adventures along the way. This novel is a page turner, and the 400+ pages absolutely fly by. It is easy to become engrossed in the world that Jaques has created, and to appreciate the harmony within the abbey walls and the disorder in the cuthroat rat army.
There are great adventures here, comparable to Frodo's journey to Mordor with the one ring. Perhaps this series is meant for the younger crowd, but there is plenty here to engross any fans of fantasy literature, and "Redwall" is only the tip of the iceberg, as this series has spawned a dozen or so books. Brian Jaques and his more accesible writing style make this an unmissable book for readers young or old.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome fantasy/adventure story, May 26 2010
Frances L. Arsenault "lover of literature" (Nanaimo, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
I should tell you that I started reading this series with the 9th novel The Pearls of Lutra. After a few other novels from the series, I had read the novel that start the series, and it became my favorite out of the series. As people who read the novel knows what it is about: This is the story of the young novice mouse Matthias, and his quest for the fabled sword of legendary Martin the Warrior, and save the only home he had known his whole life, Redwall Abbey from the rat Cluny and his army.

Overall this novel is an awesome fantasy/adventure story and Brian is my one of my favorite authors. I should also tell you, I like mice (not rats) is that well...they are the "goodbeasts" from the series; also from "Mrs Frisby and The Rats of NIMH" by Robert C. O'Brien - well those rats in that book are good, so I could accept that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written, July 18 2005
This review is from: Redwall (Paperback)
This book isn't bad actually. I stayed up for an entire night reading it! =) Not really an "addictive" novel but still worthy of reading if you enjoy Jacques' writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Series of All Time, Sept. 26 2003
E. Matthews "E. Matthews" (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
Forget Harry Potter! Martin, Matthias, Mattimeo, and all the Redwall heros are the ORIGINAL adventure books for people of all ages. I started with the series in the late 80's when I was a kid and Redwall was first published. I still eagerly await Mr. Jacques' continuation of the story year after year. I am now pleased that my younger nieces and nephews are old enough to read and enjoy the series so I can share the magic with them.

Redwall
Redwall by Brian Jacques (Hardcover - June 27 1994)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.81