5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is as good as it gets.
I found this book to be the best book on all aspects of photography. It shows examples of very simple
Published on Oct. 12 2002 by Joseph Pica

3.0 out of 5 stars So many books, so many repeats.
Published on Feb. 11 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is as good as it gets., Oct. 12 2002
Joseph Pica (Gulfport, MS USA) - See all my reviews
lighting setups and some very very complicated and interesting examples. It will show you how you can set up rooms with conflicting natural lighting, by mixing the lighting with flash or incandesent lighting. It shows you what equipment you will need. In addition it covers everything, and I do mean everything in photography.
I am ordering another one because the first one I had literally came apart. That is the one thing that dissappointed me. Its NOT the fault of the author. My first book was very poorly binded.
Some of the pages came loose. In all honesty let me say that I was rather rough with it. If this one falls apart, I am going to punch holes in it and put it in a loose leaf binder. I miss my first one so very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, Dec 21 2000
Very usefull. In fact, this book is one of three that is always by my bed stand. First published quite a while back but the information is timeless. I go back to it time and time again. If you new to photography or and old hand at it you'll find great use of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A HELPFUL PHOTOGRAPHY HANDBOOK, Feb. 11 2013
Michael P. Maciuk "Michael" (Little Current, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
"The Photographer's Handbook" is an excellent publication and very helpful guide. This publication has wonderful photographs and illustrations, but is designed more for film and print photography rather than the digital photographer. The photographs, diagrams, illustrations, tables and charts are wonderful, but the book requires additional detail for the first time photographer. I just felt that this book could have gone a little bit further and included detailed information for the beginner, otherwise it is an excellent photography handbook.

3.0 out of 5 stars So many books, so many repeats., Feb. 11 2004
By A Customer
Lots of pretty pictures... John Hedgecoe has dozens of books under his authorship. The problem is that he recycles the same pictures and text over and over again. Most of his books (like "John Hedgecoe's New Introductory Photography Course ", "John Hedgecoe's Guide To 35mm Photography ", ETC.) are mostly the same book with different titles. Even books that should have different subject coverage, don't.
It isn't a bad book but it is basic. I had one of his book when I was just beginning but since lost it. Never missed it either.
Better books on photography would be "Ansel Adams Guide, The Basic Techniques of Photograph" by John P. Schaefer. I'm no fan of Ansel Adams but this still a good book.

3.0 out of 5 stars some good ideas, lacks detail, April 20 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book thinking that it would teach me about technique, apeture, etc. Unfortunately, the book lacks detail and most of the book is made up of photographs and then the author's description of how he got that photograph. However, the author has some pretty good ideas for photographs, and thus I used some of his ideas for trying out some photographs of my own. I still was looking for something with more detail and instruction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Appliance Instructions or Photographer's Handbook?, Nov. 1 2002
By A Customer
First of all, I'm not a Professional Photographer, that's the reason why I purchased this book in the first place. I like the topics and the physical size of the book. Other than actual content, I purchased this book as a "Reference Book" so I like to refer to it in the field when my hands are holding 2 camera's and a tripod.
What I don't like about this book is, that to me it's structured in a way like reading an appliance instructions. Pages are set up in a way where the printing is TOO small to read, even with reading glasses. The book is printed in very light ink, very difficult to read, even in bright light. Chapters are not clearly divided, it's like one big 'run on' sentence.
Topics are too technical and is really written for the Professional Photographer in mind. Maybe if the title was changed to, "Professional Photographers Handbook", then I wouldn't be writing the review.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK reference, but don't expect detail, March 11 2001
Richard Lyman (Beverly, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I think the problem with this book is that it is too broad. It covers virtually everything you can think of and a lot you probably didn't know existed. Unfortunately this wealth of knowledge is so diverse that it only covers the very surface of most topics. If you want to know what something is or get a very rough idea of how to do it, this book is helpfull, but it certainly won't improve your photography. It is quite elaborately illustrated and provides many black and white, and color examples. It needs to be updated as technology is advancing so rapidly. I would prefer much less information on tricks and special effects, and more practical information such as exposure tables for different films and conditions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Those who can't do..., June 2 1999
...teach.
Ok, a little unfair, perhaps. Hedgecoe's books are always well designed and present technical information in a well-illustrated and adequately explanitory manner. The many photographers who started out (myself included) by reading one of his tomes are testimony to his ubiquity in this market.
But is it me, or are his actual photographs somehow rather unexciting and formulaic stuff? If you want to learn about great photography, look at pictures by great photographers, rather than those who seem to spend more of their time teaching and writing about it than doing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must-have reference book, Jan. 5 2001
By A Customer
This is an extremely useful guide for beginners on up. I have a master's degree in photojournlism but am interested in other aspects of photography as well. This book is comprehensive and covers anything from artistic processes to commercial photography. I teach photography at the college level and highly recommend it to my students. It is not a book that will collect dust if you're seriously committed to photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its wieght in gold., May 22 1999
By A Customer
An excellent and comprehensive text introduceing many, many facets of photography. An excellent general guide, I highly reccomend it to anyone wanting a reference text- I have learned so much from this book. My only criticism is that I would like to see it updated, it was put out in '92, since then alot of new technology worth covering has come out.

THE PHOTOGRAPHER'S HANDBOOK.
THE PHOTOGRAPHER'S HANDBOOK. by John. Hedgecoe (Hardcover - 1992)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.14