1,222 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read.
heard lot about this book and finally got arnd reading it.. defiantly must read.. its less than 100 pages so good for slow readers like myself too.
Published 2 months ago by killer17

1.0 out of 5 stars Patronizing is a good start
I was handed this book as part of a package when I was laid off. I found it patronizing, the metaphor immature, and overall, it felt very much like an attempt to make it seem like letting me go was doing me a favour.

(Tt was, but that's aside the point of this review.)

Published 14 months ago by shane doucette

1.0 out of 5 stars Patronizing is a good start, April 30 2013

(Tt was, but that's aside the point of this review.)

In short, if you're an employer contemplating giving this to people you're laying off, or trying to encourage in to performing better or doing different things, be prepared to have it massacre morale, plain and simple. It might be a good book to give to a child, except they would find that it's probably below the children's literature they're used to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bless you Alberto, June 30 2004
Yup, Alberto got here got it right. We were handed this book by our manager who knew nothing about his job or ours to get us to toe the party line. It worked. We shut up. Since then employees left in droves and productivity has been sinking ever since! Nice job Cheesies!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, June 29 2004
The unbelievably large number of people who think this is a good book is very scary. I hope these people are not important decision makers. Everything bad that can be said about this book has been said before, so I'll just compile a "Best of" list for you. (By the way, in case you're wondering, "Dr." Johnson's degree is in education.)
Regarding management and corporate American in general
* This book is the cop-out for managers who believe in change for change's sake.
* It's corporate brainwashing of the kind that science fiction writers have been warning us about for decades.
* Never have I come closer to the mind crushing monotony and impersonality of corporate America than when I read this book.
* No, change is not a good thing when it happens on a regular basis. That means upper management can't make up their minds.
* If you are thinking about buying this book, I assume you are a manager of some type
Regarding the intellectual level of the book:
* I have never felt my intelligence more insulted than when reading this.
* It's patronizing, shallow, insipid, and still manages to be patently insulting to those employees who might actually be capable of analytical thought. That's quite a feat.
* Should appeal to intellectually challenged only.
* It is a sad comment on our culture, society, and educational system that so many people have found this inane drivel to be "life-changing".
* (...)BR>* (...).
* Distilling these important matters into the inane parable of mice in a maze is a literary device meant for grade school students.
* The book presents an excellent reading for absolute imbeciles or people high on drugs.
Regarding the message of the book:
* It teaches that you must not struggle, succumb to the will of the greater power of management, and accept change without regard to whether it is appropriate or not.
* Don't think, just go with the changes as we prescribe them. If you don't, you're inflexible or afraid of change.
* The ideas in this book could have been expressed in a paragraph and even then they would not have been worth the time to read them
The people who more productively decided to just make jokes about the stupidity that is this book said:
* As I was already familiar with the concept of reality and how to deal with it, the book was not particularly helpful.
* Your time would be better spent just taking a nap.
* Buy real cheese. Don't buy this sorry excuse for a book.
* I think people like it cause it can be read and finished while sitting on the toilet.
* Resistance is futile!
* Any manager who would try to force these ideas on their employees would be better off just spiking the coffee with anti-depressants.
* The South Park gang would find it too puerile.
If you were even mildly amused by anything in this review, then you are already infinitely better off than if you read the book. Now please vote "Yes" on my review (after all, I just saved you $14+). Thanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars LIKE EATING MOLDY KRAFT MACARONI, June 3 2002
By A Customer
I'm so glad others out there despise this book as much as I. It was given to all employees at my company a month before we were told no one was getting an annual bonus this year. (Coincidence? I think not.) Our CEO claimed it was the best thing he's ever read. Ever feel like you work for an idiot? This book is downright demoralizing and depressing when it's given to you by a company you slave 8-5 for everyday. They must think we have the intelligence of bridge trolls. I hated the message of this book so much, and the condescending stupidity it connotates that I actually burned it at a keg party the following weekend. The scary part? IT WOULDN'T BURN! We had to set it on fire so many times we gave up and threw it in the trash. The one positive was that after reading it I felt smarter than our management team and know now that someday, all the people who hate this book will come together to crush the cheese lovers. Oh yeah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read., May 21 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 24 2014
This book has been around quite some time but it was a fun and easy read - at the same time learning some great lessons about the need to change

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Sept. 7 2013
Just made me think about life in a totally different way! A must read for all generations and accept the change!

3.0 out of 5 stars Theory on mixed reviews this book has received, April 12 2013
I don't write a lot of reviews, although I am an avid reader. I ordered this book on the recommendation of a respected friend but with skepticism generated by the various reviews. I read it in short order, kind of annoyed that I bothered with the chapter 'A Gathering' and didn't just skip ahead to the cheese story. The hype in this chapter set the cheese story up for a fall.

Maybe if you're a Hem or Haw this story will have an effect on you. In fact, if you're a Hem or a Haw I sincerely hope it does. But if you're neither a Sniff, Scurry, Hem or Haw you will wonder what all the fuss is about. I don't read books about change because I'm uncomfortable with it, I read them to try to get others to budge from their respective well-worn rutts. I'd have gone looking for new cheese before any of the four characters and thus found the story simplististc and the Hem and Haw characters, well, tedious.

Nonetheless, it seems to resonate with some people. It might resonate more if written better (the writing is redundant and the story repetitive). The first and last chapters, 'A Gathering' and 'A Discussion' insult one's intelligence. But if you're a Hem or a Haw this may be the first baby steps you need to take.'

3.0 out of 5 stars Aesop fable like story, Jan. 11 2013
E. Lee - See all my reviews
Good reading for coffee or lunch breaks. Provide simple view of the different perspectives that individuals adopt.
All managers can read this for reference into human behavior

5.0 out of 5 stars great learning tool, Jan. 7 2013
you can read this book over and over and get something new each time. good learning tool a university prof suggested it as extra sup. read it enjoyed it.

Who Moved My Cheese?
Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson (Paperback - 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.82