5.0 out of 5 stars A prequel to 911
This was my first Robinson book. I heard the unabridged tape version. The narrator was very good.
The plot for this book was very original. The character development was at times difficult to follow. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in political and military affairs.
Published on July 30 2003 by William J. Tennison

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Book
Published on Sept. 17 2003 by David C. Hoffner

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Book, Sept. 17 2003
David C. Hoffner (Hebron, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book recently, but didn't get what I hoped for. I have a mild addiction to military/espionage thrillers. I grew up on World War II novels, but it was _The Hunt for Red October_ that gave me a taste for modern settings. I greatly enjoyed reading both _...Red October_ and _Red Storm Rising_ ten years ago. Ever since then I have occasionally picked up a military thriller for fun.
I see here that _Nimitz Class_ is actually the first book of a series. I can only hope that the others got better, though I don't think I'll spend the time to find out for myself. These characters were way too shallow and two-dimensional for my taste. Every time they meet one another, it's like a gathering of the gods on Mt. Olympus-every one is so admirable, experienced, capable and wonderful-they're straining their shoulders trying to pat each other on the back so much.
Several of the plot developments were also made easily predictable because the writer telegraphs his moves. For example, at one point the main character's mother tells him to bring a woman with him when he moves home after resigning his commission. Just a few pages later, one of the admirable admirals says he wants to introduce his daughter. Before she even appears on the page, I know that she is going to be going to a new home in Kansas by the end of the book (sorry if I ruined that for anyone, but gosh, if you didn't see it coming...).
Finally, I noticed a few technical mistakes, which didn't help the credibility of the story. For example, it is implied in the book that the current in the Bosporus always flows from North to South. I know from personal experience that this is not true. The current changes direction with the tides. Either a high tide is filling the Black Sea with Mediteranean water or a low tide is draining that water back out.
To its credit, this book has a plot that moves along just as briskly as that Bosporus current. But nonetheless I found it too shallow to be really enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A prequel to 911, July 30 2003
William J. Tennison (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars No surprise ending, June 5 2004
Very well written and Mr. Robinson gave a great account of submarine tactics and warfare. However, there were no surprises throughout the book and the ending was rather predictable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good premise but predictable, Feb. 15 2004
This was the first book I have read by Patrick Robinson. While the story-line was interesting and even frighening (post Sept 11)
I thought the ending was rather predictable. ***SPOILER*** The
destruction of the subs at Bandar Abbas in Iran was a good sub-plot but was ultimately anti-climactic. And was there any doubt that Bill Baldridge would return to the Kansas homestead?

5.0 out of 5 stars Nimitz Class - A well told Naval/Political thriller!, Aug. 17 2003
K. Wyatt "ssintrepid" (Cape Girardeau, MO United States) - See all my reviews
After seeing this particular title and Patrick Robinson's other titles in the stores last year I decided to purchase them all based on the back cover descriptions. Prior to reading "Nimitz Class," I decided to check the other reviews to see how well the book was received and was somewhat disappointed to see that the majority of the reviews didn't hold this title in a particularly favorable light. With this in mind, I opened the front cover and dove in!
Much to my surprise and delight "Nimitz Class" is a well told Naval/Political thriller that is extraordinarily intriguing, the majority of the characters are compelling and the pacing of the novel is dead on accurate. As to whether Patrick Robinson is a new Tom Clancy, I'm not sure about that but he certainly holds his own in "Nimitz Class" and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his novels.
At the very core of most successful writers list of Political/Military novels is a strong set of recurring characters. With "Nimitz Class" Patrick Robinson has set the stage for his characters such as Vice Admiral Arnold Morgan, Director, National Security Agency who is the spitting image of someone in his position, gruff in a good natured sort of way, tough as nails and extraordinarily intelligent.
The premise:
Deep in the Indian Ocean lies an American CVBG, Carrier Battle Group, a twelve warship group centered on the Nimitz class aircraft carrier, the USS Thomas Jefferson. She is on routine patrol after successfully engaging in war games with another carrier battle group. Suddenly several of the outlying ships take a massive airburst and huge waves, nearly capsizing a couple of the ships. Once everything settles down and the captain of the USS Arkansas regains command and control he attempts to make contact with every ship in the battle group. The main player in the group, the aircraft carrier can neither be reached through communications nor seen on radar. He immediately takes his ship to the carriers last known position only to find a high level of radiation and a couple of the ships that were close to her badly damaged. A US aircraft carrier and the six thousand men and women aboard are gone...
In comes the main players of the novel as the Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Scott Dunsmore is notified who then takes it up to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs General Joshua Paul and then on the President. A meeting is called to discuss what happened or what might've happened to the carrier. The Director of the National Security Agency, Arnold Morgan and a young Naval Intelligence officer, Lieutenant Commander Bill Baldridge whose brother just happened to have been the Captain of the USS Thomas Jefferson. While the general consensus is that this was somehow an accident aboard the aircraft carrier, Bill Baldridge, a nuclear expert explains otherwise and leads them down the path of discovery...
What follows is nothing short of an outstanding Naval/Political thriller that is a true page turner. At times, some of the text is somewhat clipped and the technical terminology is off a bit, both of which can be easily overlooked in the overall light of the plot which is thoroughly captivating. I highly recommend this novel to any and all fans of this genre! {ssintrepid}

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me awake!, June 10 2003
By A Customer
"Nimitz Class" A most excellent "fiction". I read it prior to 9/11 & walked away wondering if an Islamic radical could carry it out, and that an aircraft carrier is in fact a juicy target. Way too many hard-nosed military's gave their misguided reviews here. It's called fiction for a good reason! I'm military savvy, & I never saw it containing military "flaws." Also reminded me of the good partnership the U.S. & British military share & rely on. A co-worker, a former WWII diesel submariner loved it. I also passed it on to a West Point graduate & likewise he really liked it. I passed on a tradition my dad started: read it & pay it forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine a US carrier being hit by a terrorist, Jan. 1 2003
Nimitz Class is a first class 'faction' novel written by Patrick Robinson advised by a British sub commander who is widely acknowledged in naval circles as one of the top submariners of all.
First class locations and story.
If Jack Higgins and Clive Cussler's high praise doesn't sell you this book, read the intro and attempt to deny buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, Oct. 30 2002
By A Customer
I knew this was a stinker when a group of US Navy guys are talking about the Boston Redsox "First Batsman" (leadoff hitter). Gimme a break. Did this author have an editor? If you can believe the US would go after Iran - which did nothing, and do nothing to Iraq - which nuked a carrier.. then this is right up your alley.

1.0 out of 5 stars Run Away!, Oct. 3 2002
K. Nettles (US) - See all my reviews
Breathtaking drivel. For the record, I found exactly one accurate depiction in the book. It's where the head of the NSA is trying to figure out what's going on and brightens up at the thought that someone is lying. Intelligence officers do enjoy a good plot. They won't find it here:
1. Nobody in the military (or in any other walk of life, for that matter) speaks the way the characters in this book do.
2. Nobody in the military acts the way this writer describes them.
3. Neither do officials of the US government.
4. Neither do men and women.
5. It would take the media about a nanosecond to begin hypothesizing about the possibility of the "accident" to be the result of an attack. It would take the crowd of retired and former military know-it-alls just a moment longer to begin spilling classified information and spinning their own hypotheses.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book is GOOD, Sept. 16 2002
Come on you people! What's wrong! Nimitz Class is a great book, and it's READABLE unlike some Tom Clancy novels which make me go ASLEEP. If you want a good technothriller experience, pick this one up.
And if somebody wants absolute precision, hey, the genre is FICTION. So relax and enjoy.

Nimitz Class
Nimitz Class by Patrick Robinson (Paperback - 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01