5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
For those who need more than simply knowing how to add a new user via the GUI.
Covers the whole gamut of Linux Admin. A lot of quality work has gone into this book, and the result shows. Everything you could possibly want to do is covered, whether it be syslog daemon config, mail server config, routing, and there are even diagrams on Serial pin-outs!!
"Well...
Published on May 6 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book with exceptionally bad index
Yes, the book is not bad... But the index at the end is so bad, basically think that the book has no index if you plan to buy it. That's like everything in linux: it seems great but just impossible to use. :-)
Published on May 28 2004 by Kyrill Alyoshin

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, May 6 2004
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
For those who need more than simply knowing how to add a new user via the GUI.
"Well done" to the authors. A must have in any admins library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book with exceptionally bad index, May 28 2004
Kyrill Alyoshin (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars make clean; make index correct, Oct. 2 2003
kettemaster (WACO, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
I frequently refer to this book and have found it very useful and informative on just about every subject that is Linux. I would have given it 5 stars except that the index of the book is broken. I use the index of reference books, like all other admins, to quickly find the page of the subject for that I am looking. The page numbers that are referenced in the index are incorrect. This is VERY frustrating! This book shouldn't be the only Linux book on your shelf, but I do recommend having it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best single book on linux available, Sept. 28 2003
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
Over the past six months, I have configured three Linux machines for use in my home. While I have worked in Windows for years, these boxes were my first foray into the world of Linux. I had any number of questions, and encountered numerous problems along the way. I relied on various web resources, and purchased a number of books. This is the one resource I continually go back to for answers. If you are looking to buy one book about Linux, this is it.
You could also consider O'Reilly's 'Running Linux' (more of a beginners guide) and 'Linux in a Nutshell' (a comprehensive reference book of Linux commands).

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy their Unix book instead, July 10 2003
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
The first edition of Unix System Administration was a classic. The updated versions have been split into a linux-only version and the original, pan-Unix treatment (including Linux--just not as many variants of Linux as this book covers). I bought the Linux one, but now I wish I had the updated pan-Unix book. The authors' strength is their knowledge of Unix fundamentals, not the (ever-changing) details of various Linux distros. You're better off learning from them how vendor Unices are different in major ways from each other and from Linux. Finally, the authors don't seem nearly as well informed about Linux as they do about the older Unices. While their older book's advice was bulletproof, in this one they miss some important information. The most serious example is their recommendation to use 'dump' for filesystem backups, when Linux Torvalds has explicitly announced that it's not safe to use. 90% of this book is the same as the Unix book, so it's not a loss either way, but I'd recommend you get your Linux info fresh off the net, or in some other book series that's updated more frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply awesome, July 3 2003
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
they've done it again - this book sits on my desk next to the
'purple bible' (unix system administration handbook, 3rd ed),
and like it, are excellent resources.
this is not a linux howto-book for beginners looking to get into
using linux. this book is meant for admins and power-users. it
is deep, detailed, and concise. this book will be one of the
most often used tools in your toolchest.
written by experts for real-world use, this book is worth twice
the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Exactly what I was after, Feb. 13 2003
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
I found this book extremely easy and interesting to read, I find it hard to sit down and just read cover-cover a techinical book, but not so with this one. This book does not concentrate soley on basic "how to run a program", "how to add a user", but covers a wide range of topics, including details of routing/networking/DNS/etc.
Every so often I do feel it lacks a little in examples, and could use a bit more in terms of sample of configurations etc. However, it did not resort to pages of code listings as other titles can tend do.
On the whole, highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it much, Feb. 8 2003
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
I see all nine readers rate this book five stars, may be they are used to books written in such style, or this is similar in structure with other books they are familar with.
I found it is useful. It is a bit old, as Redhat Linux now is v8.1 rather than 7.2, at least the installation part has much difference. I found other info like the booting sequence, or direct copy of 1st 512B of Linux boot sector to allow Linux bootable from a Win2K boot menu, these info are not in this book.
When I tried to set up NIS or network in Redhat V8, they can be done much easier than decribed steps in this book - I know many Unix admin may like the console mode or direct editing style anyway.
The main thing I don't like this book, or many other such books in similar style, is that the useful info are hidden in pages of undirect or less technical statements. At least 50% of the statements are not useful for me. May be the author like to use a chat style of writting, may be mnay of readers like it and feel more relax in reading, but I just want clearly strcutured, easy indexed, technical step by step book.

1.0 out of 5 stars So far it's been a waste of my money..., Feb. 2 2003
Mehrdad Shabestari "bestmehr" (Rochester, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
Purchased this book around Xmas. Month and a half have passed and I have not been able to make one good use out of this book. In my opinion, this is a college text book for students who know knowing about Linux and want to learn Administrative concepts. It is a worthless book for hands-on administrators as well it is worthless for people like me who know enough and need to explore advance topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars for admins, not your mom, Dec 4 2002
Kip Perkins (Mt Juliet, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux Administration Handbook (Paperback)
I picked up this book because I have used the 2nd and 3rd editions of UNIX Administration Handbook for years. This book is easy to read and provides some entertainment with the authors' insight into Linux administration. As with it's brother the UAH, this book follows the same format but IS updated to reflect the Linux specifics. I picked it up also because it covers RH 7.2 and the UAH only covered 6.2. This book is a must for people who admin linux servers for large corporations, small businesses, or simply are running their own mail/dns/web server from their DSL connection at home.
If you are looking for a book that gets you setup on KDE or GNOME, this is not the book. If you want to learn and use the power of a networked Linux server, this is for you.
I have worked with UNIX for 6 years, Linux for 5 and recommend this book to anyone who will admin it.

Linux Administration Handbook
Linux Administration Handbook by Trent R. Hein (Paperback - April 4 2002)
CDN$ 59.99 CDN$ 47.99