Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Principles of Language Learning and Teaching
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$64.54+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
Language learning and language teaching are complex and difficult subjects. H. Douglas Brown provides a good summary of key elements in the field in his newest (4th) edition of "Principles of Language Learning and Teaching".
This book provides a good introduction to current theories of language teaching, including critical evaluations of such popular theories as Krashen's Input Hypothesis. Brown couches each discussion in an overall view of the bevaviorist / cognitivist debate and refers to these larger theories regularly.
As a classroom textbook, this edition provides discussion questions and case studies for analysis.
The bibliography is extensive and up to date and the index points to all major topics covered.
I recommend this book to university students and to language teachers who want to refresh their understanding of the field.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on January 22, 2001
I found this book very helpful in my ESL classroom. Brown does an excellent job in chapter 3 comparing and contrasting first and second language acquisition. I believe this book is a must not only for ESL teachers, but all teachers. As our country becomes more diverse, it is important to know how to teach English to students of all ages. This would also be a good book for businesses who are struggling with employees with limited English. This book could also be useful for English teachers of all grades because it does go into great detail about how the first language is acquired. One important chapters for educators is chapter 10 on language testing. I would definately recommend this book and I will keep it for years to come as I have already referred back to it several times in my classroom.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again