4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, but expensive!
Published on March 14 2002 by Yu-Jin Chia

3.0 out of 5 stars Painfully boring
I'm double majoring in Philosophy and Communication, so I thought that this was going to be a great book for my Computer Ethics class. Our assignments consisted of writing responses to each chapter. I was so bored only a few pages in that my responses focused on those pages and completely left out the rest of the chapter.
Having said that, if you don't read any...
Published on April 5 2004 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, but expensive!, March 14 2002
This review is from: Computer Ethics (Paperback)
There aren't a whole lot of books on computer ethics yet, and this is one of the better ones. It's definitely a topic of study that needs more focus in today's world, and if you're interested at all, this is the text to pick up. Johnson does a good job of explaining philosophical theory (no surprise, as she is a philosophy professor) and analyzes many interesting case examples.
If you intend to be a computer professional someday, it could be useful to know what you might be getting yourself into. This book will give you some food for thought in the ethics of cutting-edge technology. It is quite well organized and not boring, which is better than I can say for about 95% of the textbooks I've had to read. Johnson takes a strong position on some points of debate that could actually go either way, so you might not always agree with her, but she does provide good reasoning to back up the claims.
The big downside of this book is its price- it's ridiculous. This is a short paperback with an intimidatingly small typeset, and no illustrations of any sort. I really don't see why it has to cost so much. Someone is certainly making a killing off it! Is that ethical?

3.0 out of 5 stars Painfully boring, April 5 2004
Amazon Customer (Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Computer Ethics (Paperback)
Having said that, if you don't read any other chapter, read "Chapter 5: Privacy". This chapter is great for debate and is VERY thought provoking. I actually read all of this one. There are so many services that people can go to, where they can access info about you. Is that ethical?
The good and bad thing about ethics in general, is that there usually isn't a right or wrong answer. This can also be a problem in that some people feel very strongly about an issue and refuse to even view it from another's perspective.

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, Not for Techies, Feb. 11 2002
This review is from: Computer Ethics (Paperback)
As another student who was made to read this book for a university, I also found the text to quite repetitive. The points the author is making is spread over 10 pages or more, which makes it hard to focus on the substantive parts. This book is better suited for a philosophy major interested in technology, not a computer scientist interested in philosophy. The book tends to get "muddled" itself by introducing broad topics relating to technology which lead to seemingly off-topic tangents. Much of this book isn't noticably insightful either, falling under the "common sense" category of philosophical reasoning. The writing is clear, I'll give the author that, but by the end, you felt like you took this extremely long journey without getting anywhere. Seek enlightenment elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars ., March 19 2003
This review is from: Computer Ethics (Paperback)
This book is painful to read. The writing is clear, but it is so boring and repetitive that I can barely bring myself to pick it up. It seems like a majority of the time she rambles on about issues that aren't even specific to technology, and are, as another reader suggested, common sense. Unfortunately I have to read this book, since I am yet another CS major taking a required course in ethics related to technology. The subject isn't bad, the book is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple school book., June 16 2001
Peter Timusk "exhausted scholar" (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Computer Ethics (Paperback)
This rather simple book leads one to appreciate the full extent of computers within ethics. At least, I hope it has that major areas covered. My professor chooses it for two web based courses in philosophy and it was fun to read. If your going to buy it, I think the fact that your on the Internet, is enough of a reason that I can guess you'll get something out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good overview for the computer professional, Nov. 1 2001
This review is from: Computer Ethics (Paperback)
This book looks at some of the various issues surrounding computer ethics today. It gives an impetus to practice ethics in Information Technology and how the Internet changes the way we can conduct business transactions.

5.0 out of 5 stars computer ethics, July 18 2001
MR KRISHNA PINGELI (springfield, illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Computer Ethics (Paperback)
this book by D.Johnson is very useful for students taking the ethics course.he clearly explained the ethical issues involved with computers

Computer Ethics (4th Edition)
Computer Ethics (4th Edition) by Deborah G. Johnson (Paperback - Dec 24 2008)
CDN$ 78.95 CDN$ 71.84