5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for beginners
Two years ago, I did not know anything about SAS and was intimidated by the SAS Users' Guide. This book beat several others and became my key reference book. The book is simple, elegant and entertaining. I have recommended it to several of my colleagues.
Published on Sept. 30 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for beginners
I just finished reading the third edition of this book and found something wrong on page 82, page 118, page150, page 165, and page 168. Hope they are corrected on the fourth edition.
Published on March 17 2003 by stanly

1.0 out of 5 stars A once great book whose time has passed, Jan. 22 2004
Once upon a time, I could not recommend this book highly enough. That's the problem--"once upon a time". In 2004, this book violates what I consider an overriding consideration for instruction books: Never distract the new user with picky details that s/he'll will rarely need in practice.
The first few chapters are written using INPUT and DATALINES; commands to enter data. For those unfamiliar with SAS, that means the authors enter all of their data as lines of text typed inside their command language. No one works that way any more! It's a hold over from the days of punchcards. Does the new user really need to know that
INPUT ID 1-3 AGE 4-5 GENDER $6;
means "look in columns 1-3 for a numerical id, columns 4-5 for numerical age, and column 6 for a character designating gender"? When the 4-th edition was written, the answer might have been yes, but even then it would have been given grudgingly. For more than a few years, data almost always arrive as data sets that have already been made into SAS files or as spreadsheets that can be imported directly into SAS. This method of data input would not be a fatal flaw if the material were in a later chapter or an appendix, but it's woven throughout the text starting with the first example on page 3.
I would love to see this book updated with a more modern view to how data are processed and analyzed, but I can no longer recommend it in its current form.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for beginners, Sept. 30 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars too wordy and extremely basic, April 30 2003
By A Customer
I am at a loss to see what people like about this book. The authors were extremely wordy in my opinion and took much too long to make a point. This book is extremely basic, so if you know anything about statistics, I feel you may be happier with something more advanced.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for beginners, March 17 2003
stanly (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Applied Statistics and the SAS Prigramming Language, March 10 2003
By A Customer
I thought that this was a fabulous book. I used it for work and needed a copy of my own when I left. It was great to learn the language but even better as a reference book while using SAS daily. I can't live without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, Jan. 11 2003
By A Customer
Received my book very quickly and in excellent condition! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, May 15 2002
Ray Lin (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
If you don't have the background of SAS programming. You should read this book. If you have the background of C/C++ and SQL, you will find SAS is very easy to learn.
I spend less time learning SAS concepts when I read this book. In part 1, the author reviews the basic concepts of statistics when running sas. This is very easy to understand!
In part 2, he mentions how to infile the large data in the sas environment. You don't have to type all the data in the sas enviroment in the beginning. It is very useful.
I think this is a good book for beginners who want to know what SAS programming is. I hope the author still can write the book about advanced SAS programming .

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and entertaining too (really!), Feb. 27 2002
Asad (California, United States) - See all my reviews
Cody and Smith do an effective job of communicating the intricacies and features of this helpful but sometimes dense software. A step-by-step, well organized and at times amusing approach to programming in SAS, this book is similar to the "..for dummies" collection - user-friendly with plenty of visuals and examples. I'd definitely recommend it to any student or professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent SAS intro, Feb. 15 2002
By A Customer
One of the most heavily used reference books in my office...this is very well written for a programming book. The authors use case examples for illustrating the different programming techniques, which makes it very easily understood by the layman. If you have a basic understanding of statistical techniques such as ANOVAs and t-tests this book will allow you to use SAS fairly easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only these guys worked for SAS, Aug. 24 2001
By A Customer
In short, this is THE book to have if you are a regular person who needs to use SAS. While most SAS applications are a nightmare for all but the full-time statistician/SAS user, this well-written book makes things seem pretty easy. It includes some useful background material on statistical procedures as well as references for the more inquiring mind. This is an essential companion for SAS in the real-world. SAS would do well to take on some of the suggestions in this book.

ARRAY(0xab36bfc0)

Applied Statistics and the  SAS Programming Language (5th Edition)
Applied Statistics and the SAS Programming Language (5th Edition) by Jeffrey K. Smith (Paperback - March 30 2005)
CDN$ 108.15 CDN$ 101.30