Auto Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver boutiques-francophones Kitchen Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden Kindle

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on June 9, 1999
I read Eckel's "Thinking in C++" carefully over a period of many months and loved it. Alas, when I began reading "Thinking in Java" I was both appalled and bored. Why, oh why, doesn't Eckel put lines numbers on the left of his Java source code listings. Laziness or arrogance, the end result is the same: source code that is made needlessly harder to read than necessary. Why on earth does Eckel use such boring, uninteresting fonts in this book? I can't think of a defensible reason for this other than that it's the exact same font scheme used in his "Thinking in C++". Why in G-d's name is "Thinking in Java" so long? I cannot imagine who has time to read such a long book. It is more than 50% longer then "Thinking in C++". So long that it is difficult to carry it in the train and read during rush hour! So long that it could take literally several months to read cover to cover. And yet for all its length, Eckel continues his (stupid) tradition of not including the answers or results of his source code examples. To actually type in every one of his examples would double the time required to read his book. What planet is that man from? What is he thinking? Furthermore, I found that by the time I was reading, say, page 500 of "Thinking in Java" I had long ago forgotten what he had said way, way back on page 100. Imagine, months later, reading page 950, trying to remember what he said on page 500! Eckel's thinking has not in my opinion changed between his writing "Thinking in Java" versus "Thinking in C++". I think he wrote the Java book with the same mindset he had when he wrote the C++ book. I personally feel that the time required to read Eckel's Java book can much more profitably be spent reading several other excellent books, including the excellent new book, "Java 2 Exam Cram" which I just finished reading and recommend.
on December 7, 1998
I knew C and C++ so I bought this book. No beginner could ever understand the first chapters. He starts with the most complicated C++ concepts and then moves to the code. You don't see a program until the 5th chapter. No creativity (all in black and white, NO color). The only good chapter is the chapter on buttons,text boxes, etc. If I didn't already know C++ I would have been completely clueless. Do not try to use as a teaching textbook; this book is for reference only.
on October 4, 1999
Before I bought this book I read many of the reviews. Many were bad, Many were good. I decided it's worth the risk. It's not really a bad book, but definetly not a good one, either. It's very difficult to read, the examples are the worst possible, perhaps, to illustrate the ideas presented. After reading almost half the book I gave up, and I'm going to buy another book.
on July 2, 1999
This book is confusing and long winded. I had heard that this book would be good for someone with a C programming background. Not true. I think the author got caught-up in the competition to write the biggest book on a particular subject.