1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars 6th edition review, Nov. 26 2009
Alan Friesen (Rural Alberta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Short Fiction: Classic and Contemporary (6th Edition) (Paperback)
As the last review of this book was written in 2001, I thought I'd add some more information about this outstanding anthology.

The sixth edition has brought with it a wealth of new texts, including the full text of Conrad's _Heart of Darkness_, Philip K. Dick's "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" and William Gibson's "Johnny Mnemonic", among other North American and world writers. It also has a new section on approaching short fiction through film, which gives students an overview of common photographic techniques used in films. The additions to this book are outstanding.

I'd also like to emphasise that this particular book includes a wealth of knowledge aside from short stories: there are critical essays by writers, introductions to various forms of theoretical approaches to literature, sample student essays, and an introduction which covers genre, forms, and how to read short fiction. It's a one-stop shop, in other words.

I might not have dug as deep into the tome as the previous reviewer, but I haven't noticed any glaring typographical or grammatical mistakes.

The sixth edition of Short Fiction adds a lot to this anthology, making it a worthwhile addition to a high school or first year university English course. The price is the only thing holding me back from ordering a class set.

ARRAY(0xaa8a8708)

Short Fiction: Classic and Contemporary (6th Edition)
Short Fiction: Classic and Contemporary (6th Edition) by Lyman Grant (Paperback - Feb. 22 2005)
CDN$ 112.70 CDN$ 105.45
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available