4.0 out of 5 stars Be a professional
If you want to be inspired to be a true professional programmer, Clean Code is a great book. A variety of topics are covered including naming, comments, formatting, exception handling, testing, and concurrency. Once you've read the book, the reference chapter on smells and heuristics is probably what you'll return to the most.

The common theme that runs through...
Published on Sept. 20 2008 by Nicholas Roeder

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great
This book is an OK collection of coding tips, but is not in the same league as Steve McConnell's God-like "Code Complete". This is illustrated by comparing how the two books broach the topic of "how long should a function be?".

Martin writes things like "Functions should hardly ever the 20 lines long ... This is not an assertion that I can justify. I can't...
Published on April 11 2010 by gyas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Be a professional, Sept. 20 2008
This review is from: Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship (Paperback)

The common theme that runs through the book is the push to be a true professional when programming. More often than not we get something working and then move on, saying that we'll write the tests or refactor it later. A professional will clean up the mess immediately before moving on to the next task. In this sense the book is inspiring if these goals are in line with yours.

In some ways the book reminds me of Code Complete, but if you already have read that you will still find new content, in particular with the exhaustive examples that show various clean ups including a portion of JUnit. A couple of the examples feel like they go on too long, including an Appendix of 60 pages of a replacement Date class for Java. I just find reading that much code in a book to be more difficult than on-screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Changed Me, June 17 2009
Chris Maguire (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'd been programming for eight years in various languages and technologies when I read this book so I wasn't an absolute beginner; but after I read this book my coding completely changed, and I think for the better.

What impressed me most about this book was the many examples: "Uncle Bob" gave practical before and after examples of applying the principals of clean code. The examples were realistic and worthwhile: he'd take a piece of code, iteratively apply different principals and by the time he was done the code looked, well, clean, both in design and readability.

From what I've heard, what people remember most is the principal of "self-documenting code". Now I too had heard all of that before and I'd seen some terrible "self-documenting" code; however, when Martin explained it--and gave examples--it began to make sense and I've been doing it ever since. Trust me, when _he_ explains it, it makes sense.

The book goes well beyond self-documenting code. I would recommend this book for anyone who codes, but especially for someone with a couple years of, not just writing code, but also reading other people's code; often it's hard to pin down just what is so difficult and clumsy about the code we write and Martin shows us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rules for long lasting code, Oct. 29 2010
I am part way into this book and it's a great guide with specific examples on some best practices and recommendations on how To do and Not to for small and large code projects.

The writing style of the book is very easy to follow, and does not dry out with a sprinkle of geeky humor and real-life stories. The suggestions are based on the modern programming world today, and how the life of your code may last longer and go through more hands than you may expect.

I have already started to change my coding patterns based on some of these recommendations.. and I know shifting my mindset over whatever period of time towards cleaner code, will benefit me and those to come after me.

Clean Code should be standard for all programmers/architects/engineers in any position.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth to buy as you will read it often, Dec 30 2011
I do not buy a lot of books, but this one worth it. Good book to read when in the first months of learning to code as you will start will good practices. It is easy to read and does not go too deep in each concept. It will make you aware of how to ... code clean...
There is a chapter at the end that summarize all the concepts so you can read this chapter often to remember them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 22 2009
Dale Fukami - See all my reviews
This book is for the serious software developer.

Add this to Fowler's Refactoring to make a great 1 - 2 punch.

While Fowler's Refactoring demonstrates techniques for moving code from one state to another, this book identifies lower level examples of what needs to be refactored (or written correctly the first time).

Read it, code for a month, and read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A key essential book for software engineering, March 15 2015
Read it, live it, have a better professional life. A definitive 'must read' for professional programmers and the people who lead them.

If you haven't read this, fix that. The best teams I've ever worked with know this material cold, and I say that speaking as a VP of Software Engineering in several firms with 30 years of experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Precise and valuable, Nov. 22 2009
Xiaonuo Gantan "programming geek" (Saskatoon, SK Canada) - See all my reviews
This is the book that every programmer should read at least twice. Reading this book is enjoyable and fruitful. It won't tell you a specific technique, but a bunch of guidelines on how to write readable code for others and (especially) for your future self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent programming book, July 14 2015
An excellent book on programming, the author has a vast amount of experience to draw upon including his own versions on what not to do and ways to make your code more efficient

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought of it more as a good reading material for commute - but this book is ..., June 22 2015
Thought of it more as a good reading material for commute - but this book is so much more - examples in the book are great and imho you need practice with the material learned

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I look at code, April 16 2015
From one week to the next I feel I've learned years worth of experience. From the way I write variable names to the way I design my classes. Fantastic book, highly recommend

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship by Robert C. Martin (Paperback - Aug. 1 2008)
CDN$ 51.99 CDN$ 41.59