5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent war memoirs, Jan. 3 2003
John (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War Memoirs 01 Adolf Hitler My Part In His Downfall (Paperback)
I've now read all of Spike Milligan's war memoirs and think they're excellent (I'm also not a big fan of the Goons). While generally very funny you can really sense his depressive moods even at times when he's not explicit about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A British friend gave me the paperback., May 8 2001
This review is from: Adolf Hitler (Hardcover)
And I haven't stopped laughing. I had never heard of Spike Milligan before, but I found his book funny in a way that only the Brits can be, and touching with many moving parts about the war from a crazy man's perspective. I have since read five other Spike Milligan books, and none of them were a disappointment. Seeing WWII from Spike's point of view is realistic, funny, and very thought provoking. My British friend told me he (Spike) was crazy. At first I thought that was just a saying, but it's true. Spike is mentally defunct, in a very happy and bubbly kind of way. You will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the funniest ever, July 27 2000
This review is from: Adolf Hitler (Hardcover)
I usually don't like war memoirs but I'd read anything by this guy. It is one of the funniest and most original books ever. Spike Milligan is a one-off and I'm so disappointed it's out of print. Our family's copy has fallen to bits cause so many people have read it. It should definitely be put into print again AND SOON!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has anybody seen our gun? No, what colour is it?, March 8 2000
Harry the Mighty (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This is a review of the series of seven embellished autobiographies as a whole, rather than just this one book. "Adolf Hitler:..." sees our skinny hero called up to serve his country in 1940 and introduces many of the other characters - particularly those involved in the genesis of The Goon Show. In subsequent books the war takes Spike to Africa, Italy and Liberated Europe and is a wonderful insight of those turbulent times through the eyes of a sometimes scared, sometimes overbearingly joyful, sometime shellshocked trumpet playing clown from London. This series takes you through the ups and downs: the death of friends, the pining for a world forever changed, romance in Capri, continual banter between friends, cold collation and the bloody awful Warsaw concerto. The first book was written in 1973 (I think) and the last was sometime in the early nineties; and you can definitely see the change in Spike as his writes the later books - the pathos is much stronger, the notes about wartime friends who recently died are truly moving. Spike acknowledges he is writing history, but that "I spiced mine up a bit". It's the history of wartorn and postwar europe from the individual man's perspective - a man who eats pasta on italian balconies, drinking cheap red wine until he passes out; who plays raucous tunes and chases the girls; who always goes for the punch line - but it's also the eulogy of his wartime friends, friends he loved. It also explains (in part) how Spike Milligan, as we know him, came to be.
Free flowing comedy counterchanged with pathos and bathos - it's all there and I love every word.
The other books are "Rommel? Gunner Who?", "Monty: His Part in My Victory", "Mussolini: His Part in My Downfall", "Where Have All the Bullets Gone?", "Goodbye Soldier" and "Peace Work".

ARRAY(0xa448b450)

War Memoirs 01 Adolf Hitler My Part In His Downfall
War Memoirs 01 Adolf Hitler My Part In His Downfall by Spike Milligan (Paperback - Jan. 1 1972)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01