5.0 out of 5 stars Oh this is just great~!
Published on July 18 2000 by My real Amazon Review Pen Name

3.0 out of 5 stars Jupiter's Travels interesting, but not always to the point
Published on Oct. 6 2000 by Michael Schelb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Jupiter's Travels interesting, but not always to the point, Oct. 6 2000
Michael Schelb (Boca Raton, FL United States) - See all my reviews
As someone who managed to put 36000 miles on his BMW motorcycle in two years I was interested in the story of a man who took it beyond the "next level". I enjoyed the book, but thought that Ted did not always get to the point and got sidetracked in his thinking process. Ultimately it boils down to his style of writing and a matter of personal taste... I recommend the book, but keep in mind that there will be pages one has to just chew through...

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh this is just great~!, July 18 2000
I have to put in my plug if you are only considering this book. If you love adventure stories about people who REALLY do "stuff" get this. I love stories from the heart about normal people who just one day decide to do a remarkable something with their life. You will remember his "journal-type" story forever. I read this over 10 years ago. I flash back all the time on Jupiters' journey, as it was physical but went deeply into into his purpose and sense of self. Gosh, I think he meant to take us all willing to go too, WITH him by writing this like a gift. I don't think he wrote this thinking "oh I better not talk about God becasue there might be non-belivers out there who won't like me anymore". I think he wrote this as it was nessary for someone like ME to KNOW someONE was talking RISKS somewhere out in the huge world even if I wasn't. Sit back and enjoy this ride! If you like this kind of thing and it not a motorbike fixtation only,- try; In Praise Of Older Women" too. It has no Motorbikes at all, (ha!) but is a deep real entertaining and sexy story of the remarkable life of one Man reaching his own vision of life, by bumbling thu a bunch of women. Now thats a journey too. And Its just cool. If I haven't lost you yet another to look at is Iron and Silk. And I think theres even a motorbike in that one, and a few Chinese proverbs to ponder.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of travel, yes, but infinitely more than that, April 2 1998
Ratón de Biblioteca (Puerto Bories, Chile) - See all my reviews
Ted Simon was a writer first and a motorcycle rider somewhere after that. Do not confuse this book with a mere description of places visited and how to keep a bike running. Jupiter's Travels includes some of the most insightful writing about carrying on through one's life; now hurtling, now crawling, but always with his senses fully operating and his mind delightfully able to capture and describe penetrating glimpses. Mr Simon reflects on the many ways of dealing with the variable textures of humanity, the testing of one's mettle while admitting to shortcomings, and in doing so this the book involves a greater metaphorical value, something that few so-called travel writers ever attain. Mr Simon's resourcefulness, his strategies, and his often intuitive approach to living on the road for four years will provide any reader, and particularly a prospective long-term traveler, with a book that will be remembered and perhaps even consulted in retrospect. When the boat is late and the sky is dark, when the customs people are being intransigent and the alleys seem full of bandits, when the dust becomes so thick that you can chew it -- you will find yourself wondering: how would Ted Simon deal with a time like this?

5.0 out of 5 stars You Need This Book!, July 17 2000
John Flora (Brookland, AR United States) - See all my reviews
Looks like a book about a guy riding a motorcycle around the world, doesn't it? Well, Jupiter's Travels is that and a whole lot more. It's an inspiring object lesson in turning a dream into reality. It's also a reminder that there are more good people than bad people in the world. Ted Simon's experience shows what wonderful things can happen when you finally realize you can't have a contingency plan for everything and that if you embrace risk and the unknown, you'll be the richer for it. I've ridden more than 200,000 miles on motorcycles, but I am in absolute awe of Mr. Simon. Now, at the age of 70, he's retracing his route - this time on a BMW. He broke a leg in a spill last summer in Africa and had to spend a couple of months in Nairobi recuperating. At last report, he was heading north through Colombia. The guy is a living legend and a helluva writer, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Run Out and Buy This Book!, June 9 1999
By A Customer
JupiterŐs Travels stays with you long after you close the book. it is a classic travel narrative which belongs with the finest: ThesigerŐs Arabian Sands, NaipaulŐs An Area of Darkness, ChatwinŐs In Patagonia. Ted SimonŐs motto should be Carpe Diem. One day he decided to stop what he was doing to travel around the world on a Triumph motorcycle. The trip took him four years to complete. Ted shares with us his thoughts and feelings during the journey and his insights into many different cultures. What impresses me most, however, is TedŐs openness towards the people he meets and their different modes of life, and his honesty with himself and with us, his readers. Best of all, before our eyes, he grows and becomes a wiser person. He changes and so do we!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light years ahead of his time!, Feb. 1 1999
R. Ritzman "sfseals" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
It still boggles the mind to think of the magnitude of what he accomplished, especially considering how far the technology of both bikes and accessories has come since Ted set out on his epic two-wheeled journey around the world. Nowadays you see folks riding big expensive dual-sport twins and triples from the likes of BMW and Triumph, sporting their exteme Kevlar/Gortex riding suits. But IMHO they dont seem to have the time or imagination to ride further than the nearest Mel's Drive-in. Seems to drive home the message that we, especially in the US have become so technology-obsessed that we are no longer capable of implementing a grand vision such as Ted did back in the 'stone-ages' of the '70s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before it was cool, March 21 2014
This review is from: Jupiter's Travels (Kindle Edition)
Ted Simon rode an old Triumph around the world. Well, it wasn't old at the time, it was just a long time ago. He proved that you don't need a big touring bike to get around. Nor much experience. It does help if you are a little clever, curious and very genuine. This book is packed with adventure and insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, May 19 1999
By A Customer
I went to a slide show at Powell's Travel Bookstore where Ted Simon showed slides from his journey and talked a little about his experiences. I was fascinated and bought the book. It is amazing and inspiring, and just like the warning on the back of the book, I was tempted to give up college and buy a motorcycle. Then I remembered that I can barely drive a car...But this book is truly inspiring, although I had to keep reminding myself that the man who completed the journey was the same person that I had met at Powell's. I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuck in a rut? Read this book, Jan. 29 2000
I haven't even finished reading the book yet, actually Ted has only reached Cape Town. But his journey down the African continent has already left a deep impression on me.. how huge is the power of the human spirit.
On page 178 he writes "I am learning as I make my way through my first continent that it is remarkably easy to do things and much more frightening to contemplate them."
As I negotiate the various obstacles that I find blocking my own journey I hope these wise words burn long in my conscience. Fantastic reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to be stranded on a desert island with. Superb, Aug. 4 1998
As an ex biker who never got further than the Lake district as far as Bike rides go this book took me to the world. It inspired me to adventure and look beyond Britain and its limitations. I took a year off and travelled (not on a bike) but this book was the start of my life. Ted Simon is hero in my eyes, I now live in the USA and was unable to find a copy until I found this in amazons search engine. Ted....if you read this there will always be a cold beer for you in Nevada.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Jupiters Travels
Jupiters Travels by Ted Simon (Paperback - Feb. 27 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.99